Change From Standard to Itemized Deduction

Lawrence Israel

Apr 19, 2018, 2:07:49 PM4/19/18
If a 1040 is filed using a standard deduction, resulting in no tax payment. Later a mistake is discovered that would make itemized deductions more favorable. Can an amended return making this change be filed?

--
<< ------------------------------------------------------- >>
<< The foregoing was not intended or written to be used, >>

Stuart O. Bronstein

Apr 19, 2018, 2:52:53 PM4/19/18
Lawrence Israel <larry.i...@gmail.com> wrote:

> If a 1040 is filed using a standard deduction, resulting in no tax
> payment. Later a mistake is discovered that would make itemized
> deductions more favorable. Can an amended return making this
> change be filed?

I believe the answer to this is yes. But if it's been more than three
years, don't expect to get any money back.

--
Stu
http://DownToEarthLawyer.com

Bob Sandler

Apr 19, 2018, 4:33:05 PM4/19/18
>If a 1040 is filed using a standard deduction, resulting in
>no tax payment. Later a mistake is discovered that would
>make itemized deductions more favorable. Can an amended
>return making this change be filed?

Yes, you can do that. The instructions for Form 1040X
mention it specifically. You have to attach Schedule A to
the amended return.

Bob Sandler