Class Action Settlement - Misc Income or LT Cap Gain?

Jeff Wisnia

Jun 30, 2015, 11:35:03 AM6/30/15

I just received a settlement check for a class action relating to a
stock investment I held and sold several years ago.

I'm thinking I should report that amount as a long term capital gain
rather than miscellaneous income because it is effectively offsetting
some of the long term capital loss I reported for the year in which I
sold that stock.

Am I correct?

Jeff

--
<< ------------------------------------------------------- >>
<< The foregoing was not intended or written to be used, >>

ira smilovitz

Jun 30, 2015, 11:45:03 AM6/30/15
On Tuesday, June 30, 2015 at 11:35:03 AM UTC-4, Jeff Wisnia wrote:
> I just received a settlement check for a class action relating to a
> stock investment I held and sold several years ago.
>
> I'm thinking I should report that amount as a long term capital gain
> rather than miscellaneous income because it is effectively offsetting
> some of the long term capital loss I reported for the year in which I
> sold that stock.
>
> Am I correct?
>
> Jeff
>
> --

Yes.

Ira Smilovitz

Stuart A. Bronstein

Jun 30, 2015, 1:20:04 PM6/30/15
Jeff Wisnia <Jwis...@DUMPTHIScomcast.net> wrote:

> I just received a settlement check for a class action relating
> to a stock investment I held and sold several years ago.
>
> I'm thinking I should report that amount as a long term capital
> gain rather than miscellaneous income because it is effectively
> offsetting some of the long term capital loss I reported for the
> year in which I sold that stock.
>
> Am I correct?

I agree with Ira that is probably accurate. But not necessarily.
It depends on what the law suit was about. For example it might
have been about returning unearned fees rather than something deal
with capital gain.

Have you received (or will you receive) a 1099 describing how they
report it? I'd imagine you should, and you need to take a look at
that before you can know for sure (though the 1099 may be wrong,
too).

--
Stu
http://DownToEarthLawyer.com

Arthur Rubin

Jul 4, 2015, 10:40:04 AM7/4/15
On Tuesday, June 30, 2015 at 8:35:03 AM UTC-7, Jeff Wisnia wrote:
> I just received a settlement check for a class action relating to a
> stock investment I held and sold several years ago.
>
> I'm thinking I should report that amount as a long term capital gain
> rather than miscellaneous income because it is effectively offsetting
> some of the long term capital loss I reported for the year in which I
> sold that stock.
>
> Am I correct?

If it relates to the stock, it is probably long term capital gain, as you conjecture.

If it relates to the brokerage commission on the stock, the same result holds.

If it relates to brokerage fees, then it is ordinary income if the fees were deducted on your relevant tax returns, which almost certainly did not occur.

And I'm sure there are other possibilities I haven't considered.

--
Arthur Rubin, AFSP, CRTP
Brea, CA