Safe Harbor for Small Taxpayer question

Oct 7, 2015, 12:01:25 PM10/7/15
Can I choose not to count an expense if it would put me over the 2% safe harbor amount?

Example:

I have a building with a basis of $200,000.

The 2% safe harbor amount is $4,000.

I have $4,050 of repairs, maintenance, cleaning, and supplies expense, $1000 of which would normally be capitalized.

If I don't count a $100 plumbing repair, it brings the total to $3,950, which is now under the 2% cap, and I can deduct the entire amount.

Am I breaking any rules here?

--
<< ------------------------------------------------------- >>
<< The foregoing was not intended or written to be used, >>

Arthur Rubin

Oct 7, 2015, 11:20:03 PM10/7/15
On Wednesday, October 7, 2015 at 9:01:25 AM UTC-7, C wrote:
> Can I choose not to count an expense if it would put me over the 2% safe harbor amount?
>
> Example:
>
> I have a building with a basis of $200,000.
>
> The 2% safe harbor amount is $4,000.
>
> I have $4,050 of repairs, maintenance, cleaning, and supplies expense, $1000 of which would normally be capitalized.
>
> If I don't count a $100 plumbing repair, it brings the total to $3,950, which is now under the 2% cap, and I can deduct the entire amount.
>
> Am I breaking any rules here?

I'm afraid you probably are breaking the rules. However, there is
also a record-keeping requirement for deductions. If you "lost" the
records for the plumbing repair, you wouldn't be breaking any rules
in not claiming it.

If I'm wrong, I would like to know, so I can better help my
clients.

--
Arthur Rubin
CRTP, AFSP, in Brea, CA

reginaldva...@att.net

Oct 8, 2015, 8:45:07 AM10/8/15
Why in the world would you not want to claim all legitimate expenses? "Safe harbor" does not mean "maximum allowable"

Bob Sandler

Oct 8, 2015, 11:50:05 AM10/8/15
>Why in the world would you not want to claim all legitimate
>expenses? "Safe harbor" does not mean "maximum allowable"

The safe harbor for small taxpayers does have a maximum
amount for total expenses. If you exceed the maximum you
cannot use the safe harbor at all. The safe harbor can only
be used "if the total amount paid during the taxable year
for repairs, maintenance, improvements, and similar
activities performed on the eligible building does not
exceed the lesser of $10,000 or 2 percent of the unadjusted
basis of the building."

As stated in the OP's original question, the basis of his
building is $200,000, so 2% is $4,000. Therefore, if his
total expenses for maintenance, repairs, and improvements
are more than $4,000 he cannot use the safe harbor. He is
asking whether he can omit an expense in order to stay under
that maximum and be able to use the safe harbor. He'd rather
forgo deducting a small expense than lose the ability to use
the safe harbor.

Bob Sandler

Oct 8, 2015, 8:40:05 PM10/8/15
On Thursday, October 8, 2015 at 8:45:07 AM UTC-4, reginaldva...@att.net wrote:
> Why in the world would you not want to claim all legitimate expenses? "Safe harbor" does not mean "maximum allowable"

I can either give up a $50 deduction and be able to deduct a $1000 betterment in its entirety this year,

or

take a $50 deduction and depreciate $1000 over 27.5 years.

I would much rather have $950 of deductions this year, that $1000 of deductions over 27.5 years.