Simple Question on Wash Sale Dates

Alan

Jun 22, 2015, 4:40:04 PM6/22/15
If one sells common stock on June 19th (trade date) at a loss, what is
the date in July that the same stock can be bought (trade date) without
incurring a wash sale?
--
Alan
http://taxtopics.net

--
<< ------------------------------------------------------- >>
<< The foregoing was not intended or written to be used, >>

Rich Carreiro

Jun 23, 2015, 1:55:03 PM6/23/15
Alan <temp...@vacationmail.com> writes:

>If one sells common stock on June 19th (trade date) at a loss, what is
>the date in July that the same stock can be bought (trade date)
>without incurring a wash sale?

It is a wash sale if it is within 30 calendar days before or after the
trade date of the loss sale. I believe "within" here is read
inclusively (so 30 days after is "within 30 days before or after").

So you will need to be 31 days after the trade date, so July 20th.

--
Rich Carreiro rlc-...@rlcarr.com

Stuart A. Bronstein

Jun 23, 2015, 5:15:03 PM6/23/15
Rich Carreiro <rlc-...@rlcarr.com> wrote:
> Alan <temp...@vacationmail.com> writes:
>
>>If one sells common stock on June 19th (trade date) at a loss,
>>what is the date in July that the same stock can be bought
>>(trade date) without incurring a wash sale?
>
> It is a wash sale if it is within 30 calendar days before or
> after the trade date of the loss sale. I believe "within" here
> is read inclusively (so 30 days after is "within 30 days before
> or after").
>
> So you will need to be 31 days after the trade date, so July
> 20th.

Right. Because when counting days you normally exclude the first day
(June 19) and include the last day, so July 19 would be the 30th day.

--
Stu
http://DownToEarthLawyer.com