Question on 1031 exchange

notataxexpert

Sep 19, 2015, 9:30:04 PM9/19/15
I would like to do a 1031 exchange.

I want to sell our rental home which is in my husband's name and mine and buy a commercial property and have it in the name of a LLC to shield us from any liability.

Under 1031 exchange rules, can this be done?

If not, is there a solution to such a situation?

--
<< ------------------------------------------------------- >>
<< The foregoing was not intended or written to be used, >>

Stuart A. Bronstein

Sep 20, 2015, 10:50:05 AM9/20/15
notataxexpert <suegard...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I would like to do a 1031 exchange.
>
> I want to sell our rental home which is in my husband's name and
> mine and buy a commercial property and have it in the name of a
> LLC to shield us from any liability.
>
> Under 1031 exchange rules, can this be done?
>
> If not, is there a solution to such a situation?

You will need to make the exchange before you put the property into
the LLC, but that should work, yes.

If you use an LLC, be careful. You can elect that an LLC be taxed
as a C-corporation or an S-corporation. Otherwise it is ignored
and taxed as if the LLC didn't exist (for most purposes).

It is not normally a good idea to have real estate in an entity
taxed as a corporation.

If you are worried about liability, with an LLC you can still lose
your entire investment. The best protection is a good liability
insurance policy. If you want an LLC on top of that, do it. But
don't use the LLC as the primary protection.

--
Stu
http://DownToEarthLawyer.com

John Levine

Sep 21, 2015, 12:20:04 AM9/21/15
>If you use an LLC, be careful. You can elect that an LLC be taxed
>as a C-corporation or an S-corporation. Otherwise it is ignored
>and taxed as if the LLC didn't exist (for most purposes).

If it's a two member LLC, isn't it taxed as a partnership? Are
there special rules if the partners are married to each other?

Stuart A. Bronstein

Sep 21, 2015, 10:15:05 AM9/21/15
John Levine <jo...@iecc.com> wrote:

>>If you use an LLC, be careful. You can elect that an LLC be
taxed
>>as a C-corporation or an S-corporation. Otherwise it is ignored
>>and taxed as if the LLC didn't exist (for most purposes).
>
> If it's a two member LLC, isn't it taxed as a partnership?

Normally, yes. But taxed as a partnership still means that it's
not a recognized entity. The partnership is mostly about reporting
rather than how anything is actually taxed. Also, not all ventures
of more than one person are required to be taxed as a partnership.

> Are there special rules if the partners are married to each
other?

I haven't looked this up lately, but my understanding is that if
they file a joint return, a partnership return is not necessary.

The point is that being taxed as a corporation (C or S) can
diminish whatever tax benefits there may be when owning real
estate. Being taxed as a proprietorship or as a partnership does
not involve that same issue.

--
Stu
http://DownToEarthLawyer.com

ira smilovitz

Sep 21, 2015, 1:05:04 PM9/21/15
On Monday, September 21, 2015 at 10:15:05 AM UTC-4, Stuart A. Bronstein wrote:
> John Levine <jo...@iecc.com> wrote:
>
> >>If you use an LLC, be careful. You can elect that an LLC be
> taxed
> >>as a C-corporation or an S-corporation. Otherwise it is ignored
> >>and taxed as if the LLC didn't exist (for most purposes).
> >
> > If it's a two member LLC, isn't it taxed as a partnership?
>
> Normally, yes. But taxed as a partnership still means that it's
> not a recognized entity. The partnership is mostly about reporting
> rather than how anything is actually taxed. Also, not all ventures
> of more than one person are required to be taxed as a partnership.
>
> > Are there special rules if the partners are married to each
> other?
>
> I haven't looked this up lately, but my understanding is that if
> they file a joint return, a partnership return is not necessary.
>
> The point is that being taxed as a corporation (C or S) can
> diminish whatever tax benefits there may be when owning real
> estate. Being taxed as a proprietorship or as a partnership does
> not involve that same issue.
>
> --
> Stu
> http://DownToEarthLawyer.com

Under certain circumstances a husband/wife (I guess that should now be spouse/spouse) partnership can elect to split the partnership income without filing a partnership return, but if they form an LLC, the partnership (or other entity) return is required.

Ira Smilovitz

Bob Sandler

Sep 21, 2015, 1:30:04 PM9/21/15
>> > Are there special rules if the partners are married to each
>> other?
>>
>> I haven't looked this up lately, but my understanding is that if
>> they file a joint return, a partnership return is not necessary.
>>

>Under certain circumstances a husband/wife (I guess that
> should now be spouse/spouse) partnership can elect to split
> the partnership income without filing a partnership return,
> but if they form an LLC, the partnership (or other entity)
> return is required.

The OP didn't say what state they are in. In a non-community
property state a husband and wife LLC has to file as a
partnership. In a community property state, if the spouses
own a two-member LLC as community property, they have the
option to treat it as a disregarded entity instead of as a
partnership.

Rev. Proc. 2002-69 section 4.01:
"If a qualified entity (as described in section 3.02 of this
revenue procedure), and the husband and wife as community
property owners, treat the entity as a disregarded entity
for federal tax purposes, the Internal Revenue Service will
accept the position that the entity is a disregarded entity
for federal tax purposes."

Bob Sandler

Stuart A. Bronstein

Sep 22, 2015, 1:10:04 PM9/22/15
Bob Sandler <bob_u...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> The OP didn't say what state they are in. In a non-community
> property state a husband and wife LLC has to file as a
> partnership. In a community property state, if the spouses
> own a two-member LLC as community property, they have the
> option to treat it as a disregarded entity instead of as a
> partnership.

Why would it make any difference in a non-community property state?
If they file a joint return it should work out the same both ways, so
why bother filing a partnership return?

--
Stu
http://DownToEarthLawyer.com

John Levine

Sep 22, 2015, 1:50:05 PM9/22/15
>> The OP didn't say what state they are in. In a non-community
>> property state a husband and wife LLC has to file as a
>> partnership. In a community property state, if the spouses
>> own a two-member LLC as community property, they have the
>> option to treat it as a disregarded entity instead of as a
>> partnership.
>
>Why would it make any difference in a non-community property state?
>If they file a joint return it should work out the same both ways, so
>why bother filing a partnership return?

I'd think it'd make a difference when one of them dies, if it's held
as joint tenants, so the survivor owns 100%, or as tenants in common,
so the decedent's share goes into his or her estate.

For annual taxes, I can just barely imagine a situation where one of
the spouses has a large Sched C loss from soemething else, and it'd
affect how much of the LLC income it could offset, but I admit it's a
stretch.

ira smilovitz

Sep 22, 2015, 1:55:06 PM9/22/15
I may be wrong as I am not a lawyer, but my understanding is that an LLC is a state created entity. Once created it must file a tax return and is not eligible for the marital "partnership" exclusion. It isn't a matter of community property vs. non-community property.

Ira Smilovitz

Bob Sandler

Sep 22, 2015, 2:15:04 PM9/22/15
I'm not a lawyer either, but apparently the IRS thinks that
community property makes a difference. I don't know why.

"Only businesses that are owned and operated by spouses as
co-owners (and not in the name of a state law entity)
qualify for the election [to not be treated as a
partnership]. See Rev. Proc. 2002-69, 2002-2 C.B. 831, for
special rules applicable to husband and wife state law
entities in community property states."

http://www.irs.gov/Businesses/Small-Businesses-&-Self-Employed/Election-for-Husband-and-Wife-Unincorporated-Businesses
or http://tinyurl.com/mgktgun

Bob Sandler