Savings Bond Interest ?

Bob

Jun 23, 2015, 9:55:03 AM6/23/15
Hello,

Have cashed in some E and EE Savings Bonds.
First time ever doing so.

I realize there is Federal tax due on the interest portion.

Where on the 1040 is the total amount of interest from this put ?

Is it handled in exactly the same way as, e.g., bank interest
on Sh. B is listed ?

Thanks,
Bob

--
<< ------------------------------------------------------- >>
<< The foregoing was not intended or written to be used, >>

Arthur Kamlet

Jun 23, 2015, 12:20:03 PM6/23/15
In article <mmbm8p$2u3$1...@dont-email.me>, Bob <rgs...@notme.invalid> wrote:
>Hello,
>
>Have cashed in some E and EE Savings Bonds.
>First time ever doing so.
>
>I realize there is Federal tax due on the interest portion.
>
>Where on the 1040 is the total amount of interest from this put ?
>
>Is it handled in exactly the same way as, e.g., bank interest
>on Sh. B is listed ?

Yes.

If your state taxes interest income, they will not tax E/EE
Bond interest.
--

ArtKamlet at a o l dot c o m Columbus OH K2PZH

taxed and spent

Jun 23, 2015, 1:05:02 PM6/23/15

"Arthur Kamlet" <kam...@panix.com> wrote in message
> In article <mmbm8p$2u3$1...@dont-email.me>, Bob <rgs...@notme.invalid>
> wrote:
>>Hello,
>>
>>Have cashed in some E and EE Savings Bonds.
>>First time ever doing so.
>>
>>I realize there is Federal tax due on the interest portion.
>>
>>Where on the 1040 is the total amount of interest from this put ?
>>
>>Is it handled in exactly the same way as, e.g., bank interest
>>on Sh. B is listed ?
>

> Yes.
>

> If your state taxes interest income, they will not tax E/EE
> Bond interest.
> --

What about Series HH bonds - is that interest taxed by the state?

John Levine

Jun 23, 2015, 1:20:03 PM6/23/15
>What about Series HH bonds - is that interest taxed by the state?

No. Federal interest is not subject to state taxes, whether from
savings bonds, t-bills, longer term notes or bonds, or whatever.

Pfsszxt

Jun 23, 2015, 3:40:03 PM6/23/15
On 6/23/2015 8:52 AM, Bob wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Have cashed in some E and EE Savings Bonds.
> First time ever doing so.
>
> I realize there is Federal tax due on the interest portion.
>
> Where on the 1040 is the total amount of interest from this put ?
>
> Is it handled in exactly the same way as, e.g., bank interest
> on Sh. B is listed ?
>
> Thanks,
> Bob

Yes --but some states do not tax interest on Govt. bonds
(e.g. Missouri)

Rich Carreiro

Jun 23, 2015, 3:50:02 PM6/23/15
Pfsszxt <Pfs...@aol.com> writes:

>On 6/23/2015 8:52 AM, Bob wrote:
> Yes --but some states do not tax interest on Govt. bonds
> (e.g. Missouri)

No states tax interest on direct obligations of the US.
The Supremacy Clause of the US constitution prevents them.

--
Rich Carreiro rlc-...@rlcarr.com