Is a prescription drug fullfilled by a Canadian Pharmacy Tax deductible?

njoracle

Aug 19, 2017, 8:50:06 AM8/19/17
I have a prescription for a drug from my doctor that I fulfill using a Canadian pharmacy because it
is a lot cheaper. Is the expense of the medication paid to the Canadian pharmacy U.S. tax deductible?

--
<< The foregoing was not intended or written to be used, >>

Arthur Rubin

Aug 19, 2017, 11:52:00 AM8/19/17
On Saturday, August 19, 2017 at 5:50:06 AM UTC-7, njoracle wrote:
> I have a prescription for a drug from my doctor that I fulfill using a Canadian pharmacy because it
> is a lot cheaper. Is the expense of the medication paid to the Canadian pharmacy U.S. tax deductible?

In general, no. See Publication 502, "Medicines and drugs from other countries". If the FDA announces the drug can be legally imported by individuals, you can, but I don't think the FDA has done that.

--
Arthur Rubin, CRTP, AFSP, Brea, CA