iPhone Worm Hits Australia

1 view

News

Nov 10, 2009, 12:30:06 PM11/10/09
First iPhone Worm Hits Australia

By: Brian Prince
2009-11-09

The first known worm for Apple's iPhone is spreading on jail-broken
iPhones in Australia. The worm takes advantage of the default password
for SSH used by many jail-broken phones and places an image of 1980s pop
singer Rick Astley on the device.

The first known worm for the Apple iPhone is sweeping across Australia,
and it is taking advantage of default SSH passwords on jail-broken phones.

The attack vector is the same as the one exploited by a Dutch teenager
last week in a brief extortion attempt. This time around, the mind
behind the attack isn�t doing anything bad�unless you don�t like having
English pop singer Rick Astley as your wallpaper.

Once installed, the worm�known as ikee�tries to find other iPhones on
the mobile phone network that are vulnerable so it can propagate. On
each installation, the worm changes the lock background wallpaper to an
image of the 1980s singer with the message: �ikee is never going to give
you up.�

�Ashley Towns, the author of the worm, says he personally infected 100
jail-broken iPhones,� said Graham Cluley, senior technology consultant
at Sophos. �Those iPhones would then have tried to infect other
jail-broken iPhones, and so on, and so on.�

The jail-broken iPhones impacted by the worm are running an SSH with the
iPhone's default password. Last week, news reports surfaced that a Dutch
attacker used the same situation in combination with port scanning and
OS fingerprinting to find iPhones in T-Mobile�s 3G IP range to install
backdoors on the phones and scare users into paying �5 (US$7.43) for
instructions on how to thwart the attack.

Security vendor F-Secure reported that the latest attack scans a handful
of IP ranges, mostly in Australia. As of Sunday, the company had no
confirmed reports of the worm outside of Australia. The company noted
that there are four variants of the worm, and that Towns has provided
full source code for the malware. That means more variants could be
forthcoming, and both Cluley and F-Secure agreed the next payload could
be worse.

�We can only hold our breath and hope it doesn't happen,� Cluley said.
�Unfortunately the genie is out of the bottle as the worm's code has
been published on the Web. It would be relatively trivial for malicious
hackers to adapt the code to make the worm more financially motivated
rather than mischievous.�

Adrian C

Nov 10, 2009, 12:56:18 PM11/10/09
News wrote:

> The first known worm for Apple's iPhone is spreading on jail-broken
> iPhones in Australia. The worm takes advantage of the default password
> for SSH used by many jail-broken phones and places an image of 1980s pop
> singer Rick Astley on the device.

Superb.

--
Adrian C

Message has been deleted

Per Rønne

Nov 10, 2009, 1:25:55 PM11/10/09
News <Ne...@Group.Name> wrote:

> The first known worm for Apple's iPhone is spreading on jail-broken
> iPhones in Australia.

Moral: Don't jail-break your iPhone :-).
--
Per Erik R�nne
http://www.RQNNE.dk

nospam

Nov 10, 2009, 1:39:57 PM11/10/09
In article <michelle-37B260...@news.eternal-september.org>,
Michelle Steiner <mich...@michelle.org> wrote:

> To get infected you must
> 1. jailbreak the phone
> 2. use SSH

more accurately, install sshd and enable incoming connections.

you can use ssh (outbound) and not be at risk, and you don't even need
to jailbreak to do that.

> 3. not change the password

nospam

Nov 10, 2009, 1:40:57 PM11/10/09
In article <1j8zcge.bx0qf08yfvv2N%p...@RQNNE.invalid>, Per R�nne

> > The first known worm for Apple's iPhone is spreading on jail-broken
> > iPhones in Australia.
>
> Moral: Don't jail-break your iPhone :-).

it's not jailbreaking that's the issue, it's ssh that is left open with
a known password. either don't install ssh or change the password.

Mike

Nov 10, 2009, 2:45:23 PM11/10/09
News wrote:

> �We can only hold our breath and hope it doesn't happen,� Cluley said.
> �Unfortunately the genie is out of the bottle as the worm's code has
> been published on the Web. It would be relatively trivial for malicious
> hackers to adapt the code to make the worm more financially motivated
> rather than mischievous.�

What could possibly be worse than putting a picture of Rick Astley on
your phone, they haven't got a pic of Larry have they?!!

Mike

Your Name

Nov 10, 2009, 2:52:27 PM11/10/09

"Mike" <mikelovescham...@googlemail.com> wrote in message
> News wrote:
>
> > �We can only hold our breath and hope it doesn't happen,� Cluley said.
> > �Unfortunately the genie is out of the bottle as the worm's code has

> > been published on the Web. It would be relatively trivial for malicious
> > hackers to adapt the code to make the worm more financially motivated
> > rather than mischievous.�

> What could possibly be worse than putting a picture of Rick Astley on
> your phone, they haven't got a pic of Larry have they?!!

Nope, but there's another worm called "Larry" that does turn all your
incoming messages into gibberish, lies, misinformation and nonsense. ;-)

Adrian C

Nov 10, 2009, 2:53:06 PM11/10/09
Michelle Steiner wrote:
> In article <7ltnreF...@mid.individual.net>,
> To get infected you must
> 1. jailbreak the phone
> 2. use SSH
> 3. not change the password

So one of these won't work then ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzaNXBXuFPA

(sorry)

--
Adrian C

Mike

Nov 10, 2009, 2:59:42 PM11/10/09
Your Name wrote:
> "Mike" <mikelovescham...@googlemail.com> wrote in message
>> News wrote:
>>
>>> �We can only hold our breath and hope it doesn't happen,� Cluley said.
>>> �Unfortunately the genie is out of the bottle as the worm's code has

>>> been published on the Web. It would be relatively trivial for malicious
>>> hackers to adapt the code to make the worm more financially motivated
>>> rather than mischievous.�

>> What could possibly be worse than putting a picture of Rick Astley on
>> your phone, they haven't got a pic of Larry have they?!!
>
> Nope, but there's another worm called "Larry" that does turn all your
> incoming messages into gibberish, lies, misinformation and nonsense. ;-)

I think that's infected the network at work.

Mike

Per Rønne

Nov 10, 2009, 3:09:25 PM11/10/09
nospam <nos...@nospam.invalid> wrote:

Partly, jailbreaking /is/ the issue - but of course it is making things
worse when ssh has been installed without changing the password ...

nospam

Nov 10, 2009, 3:15:22 PM11/10/09
In article <1j8zgav.5jwwep1dv2czkN%p...@RQNNE.invalid>, Per R�nne

> > > Moral: Don't jail-break your iPhone :-).
> >
> > it's not jailbreaking that's the issue, it's ssh that is left open with
> > a known password. either don't install ssh or change the password.
>
> Partly, jailbreaking /is/ the issue - but of course it is making things
> worse when ssh has been installed without changing the password ...

jailbreaking is *not* the issue. a jailbroken phone is immune to this
exploit if sshd is not installed, or if it is installed, by changing
the default password. the problem is *ssh*.

Mark Crispin

Nov 10, 2009, 4:08:53 PM11/10/09
On Tue, 10 Nov 2009, nospam posted:

> jailbreaking is *not* the issue. a jailbroken phone is immune to this
> exploit if sshd is not installed, or if it is installed, by changing
> the default password. the problem is *ssh*.

Of course the problem is ssh and not jailbreaking.

Apple fanboys will pick any excuse to denounce jailbreaking, since
jailbreaking defies Apple's walled garden and defying Apple is the Worst
Sin for fanboys.

-- Mark --

http://panda.com/mrc

Message has been deleted

Larry

Nov 10, 2009, 10:50:23 PM11/10/09
"Your Name" <your...@isp.com> wrote in

It puts a big picture of a Nokia N900 on your screen....hee hee...(c;]

--
Larry

Per Rønne

Nov 10, 2009, 10:59:26 PM11/10/09
Michelle Steiner <mich...@michelle.org> wrote:

> In article <alpine.OSX.2.00.0...@hsinghsing.panda.com>,

> Mark Crispin <m...@panda.com> wrote:
>
> > > jailbreaking is *not* the issue. a jailbroken phone is immune to this
> > > exploit if sshd is not installed, or if it is installed, by changing
> > > the default password. the problem is *ssh*.
> >
> > Of course the problem is ssh and not jailbreaking.
>

> Of course, without jailbreaking, you can't install sshd.

Exactly.

Per Rønne

Nov 11, 2009, 12:16:15 AM11/11/09
Per R�nne <p...@RQNNE.invalid> wrote:

> Michelle Steiner <mich...@michelle.org> wrote:

> > > Of course the problem is ssh and not jailbreaking.
> >
> > Of course, without jailbreaking, you can't install sshd.
>
> Exactly.

BTW, jailbreaking leads up to other problems. Just look at this:

<http://www.weatherpro.eu/>

I quote:

=
Please note: Jailbreak iPhones are not equipped to process in-app
purchases.
=

nospam

Nov 11, 2009, 1:23:42 AM11/11/09
In article <1j905gz.g0wf92l5wcjkN%p...@RQNNE.invalid>, Per R�nne

> Please note: Jailbreak iPhones are not equipped to process in-app
> purchases.

that's false.

Per Rønne

Nov 11, 2009, 2:15:58 AM11/11/09
nospam <nos...@nospam.invalid> wrote:

Then tell the Weather Pro developers.

Warren Oates

Nov 11, 2009, 7:53:52 AM11/11/09
In article <1j902oa.12drpa4yt5v58N%p...@RQNNE.invalid>,
p...@RQNNE.invalid (Per R�nne) wrote:

> Exactly.

What is your objection to jailbreaking exactly? This worm won't hit the
knowledgeable, so what's the problem?
--
Suddenly he realized that he was alone
with a giant halfwit on a dark deserted street.

News

Nov 11, 2009, 8:24:02 AM11/11/09
Warren Oates wrote:
> In article <1j902oa.12drpa4yt5v58N%p...@RQNNE.invalid>,
> p...@RQNNE.invalid (Per R�nne) wrote:
>
>> Exactly.
>
> What is your objection to jailbreaking exactly? This worm won't hit the
> knowledgeable, so what's the problem?

The CLUELESS, obviously.

Per Rønne

Nov 11, 2009, 8:28:28 AM11/11/09
Warren Oates <warren...@gmail.com> wrote:

> In article <1j902oa.12drpa4yt5v58N%p...@RQNNE.invalid>,
> p...@RQNNE.invalid (Per R�nne) wrote:
>
> > Exactly.
>
> What is your objection to jailbreaking exactly? This worm won't hit the
> knowledgeable, so what's the problem?

I simply don't want to risk my own iPhone jailbreaking it. Just to be
able to run software I might write myself.

atec7 7

Nov 11, 2009, 8:45:48 AM11/11/09
Per R�nne wrote:
> Warren Oates <warren...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> In article <1j902oa.12drpa4yt5v58N%p...@RQNNE.invalid>,
>> p...@RQNNE.invalid (Per R�nne) wrote:
>>
>>> Exactly.
>> What is your objection to jailbreaking exactly? This worm won't hit the
>> knowledgeable, so what's the problem?
>
> I simply don't want to risk my own iPhone jailbreaking it. Just to be
> able to run software I might write myself.

The problem which needs addressing is why is the phone in jail to begin
with

seems like a shit policy forcing the breaks

News

Nov 11, 2009, 8:49:05 AM11/11/09

Now, now. Unkind to point out the emperor's lack of clothes...

atec7 7

Nov 11, 2009, 8:59:37 AM11/11/09
I did have on hese phones for about a week and sold it going back to the
old k-mate ( ole faithful)

Per Rønne

Nov 11, 2009, 9:19:16 AM11/11/09

I can only agree if what you mean is that Apple has been too restrictive
when coming to access to APIs in their public SDK.

Some object that iPhone OS won't allow third party applications to run
in the background [Apple's own built-in applications already do].

In particular I object to the lack of APIs to the internal calendar and
alarm database - which would give access to MobileMe and Exchange Server
and to setting up alarms from Personal Information Managers like Pocket
Informant and DateBk6. The built-in iCal calendar is beneath contempt,
Pocket Informant can't run as good as it could - and DateBk6 won't be
available on the platform before Apple changes its policy.

But of course the firms behind these PIMs will not use jailbreaking to
get access to what they need. The access has to be through the proper
iPhone SDK APIs. From Apple.

atec7 7

Nov 11, 2009, 10:21:45 AM11/11/09
Per R�nne wrote:
> atec7 7 <"atec 77"@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Per R�nne wrote:

>>> I simply don't want to risk my own iPhone jailbreaking it. Just to be
>>> able to run software I might write myself.
>>
>> The problem which needs addressing is why is the phone in jail to begin
>> with
>>

>> seems like a shit policy forcing the breaks
>
> I can only agree if what you mean is that Apple has been too restrictive
> when coming to access to APIs in their public SDK.
What I mean is apple needs to let go
after a week a couple of hacks and opening the phone up I had enought
of the restriction and dumped the phone

> Some object that iPhone OS won't allow third party applications to run
> in the background [Apple's own built-in applications already do].
with good reason I think

> In particular I object to the lack of APIs to the internal calendar and
> alarm database - which would give access to MobileMe and Exchange Server
> and to setting up alarms from Personal Information Managers like Pocket
> Informant and DateBk6. The built-in iCal calendar is beneath contempt,
> Pocket Informant can't run as good as it could - and DateBk6 won't be
> available on the platform before Apple changes its policy.
>
> But of course the firms behind these PIMs will not use jailbreaking to
> get access to what they need. The access has to be through the proper
> iPhone SDK APIs. From Apple.

I am told several other o/s run things well with less apple
interference .. ?

Char Jackson

Nov 11, 2009, 11:06:38 AM11/11/09
On Wed, 11 Nov 2009 15:19:16 +0100, p...@RQNNE.invalid (Per R�nne)
wrote:

>Some object that iPhone OS won't allow third party applications to run

>in the background [Apple's own built-in applications already do].
>
>In particular I object to the lack of APIs to the internal calendar and
>alarm database - which would give access to MobileMe and Exchange Server
>and to setting up alarms from Personal Information Managers like Pocket
>Informant and DateBk6. The built-in iCal calendar is beneath contempt,

As an outside observer, I'm surprised to learn that the iCal app is
beneath contempt. I (wrongly) assumed that the coveted lower case
leading 'i' in its name meant it was top notch.

Per Rønne

Nov 11, 2009, 12:46:16 PM11/11/09

> Per R�nne wrote:

For a Mac user, synchronization is essential. I used to use a Palm Treo
- but Palm dropped Mac support.

Per Rønne

Nov 11, 2009, 12:46:16 PM11/11/09
Char Jackson <no...@none.invalid> wrote:

Certainly not. And even though the iCal on Mac is much better than the
iCal on the iPhone, it too isn't worth much. It doesn't even support ISO
week numbers or proper tasks.

I've now turned to BusyCal which seem to evolve.

salgud

Nov 11, 2009, 4:10:30 PM11/11/09

I agree about iCal - it has almost all the features of a paper wall
calendar, except the pretty picture.

I've gone to Google Calendar, which does a lot more and is available
anywhere I have an internet connection. For my iPhone, I'm currently using
Calengoo (yes, awful name) which syncs with Google Calendar and has a few
more features than iCal. The next release will have the view I want most,
Week View Starting Today, so I can always see a week out.

Still, I'm open to something better if I see it. Not looking for tasks on
the calendar - I have Things as my task manager synced with the desktop
version.

Todd Allcock

Nov 11, 2009, 1:20:55 AM11/11/09
At 11 Nov 2009 06:16:15 +0100 Per Rønne wrote:

> BTW, jailbreaking leads up to other problems. Just look at this:
>
> <http://www.weatherpro.eu/>
>
> I quote:
>
> =
> Please note: Jailbreak iPhones are not equipped to process in-app
> purchases.
> =

From what you've linked, it sounds like in-app purchases in their
particular app are problematic anyway. A quick Google search didn't find
any references to in-app purchases being a common problem for jailbroken
phones.

Jailbreaking probably causes some problems, but I'd suspect most stem
from the particular "unapproved" apps jailbreakers choose to run.

Bandwidth

Nov 12, 2009, 12:32:39 AM11/12/09
Mike wrote:

> What could possibly be worse than putting a picture of Rick
> Astley on your phone

Changing the ringtone to a Rick Astley song. Imagine the
embarrassment when your phone rings.

Peter.

Per Rønne

Nov 12, 2009, 1:02:09 AM11/12/09
Todd Allcock <elecc...@AnoOspamL.com> wrote:

Perhaps. I use the application but have no intention of purchasing extra
facilities to it.

Per Rønne

Nov 12, 2009, 1:32:10 AM11/12/09
salgud <spamb...@comcast.net> wrote:

At present, Pocket Informant synchronizes through Google Calendar too
when it comes to calendar items and with ToodleDe when it comes to
todos. Also BusyCal synchronizes through Google Calendar [and the Mac's
built-in iSync service] so this means that if you insert an appointment
in Pocket Informant it will go through Google Calender, BusyCal on the
Mac, iCal on the Mac and end up in iCal on the iPhone.

Of course it had been much simpler to give the firm behind PI access to
the calendar and alarm APIs in iPhone OS but the old fogeys at Apple
won't allow it.

I know that WebIS [Pocket Informant] and BusyMac [BusyCal] are in
contact. Eventually this should lead to better synchronization, also
with todos. Pocket Informant is in version 1.11 [with 1.2 coming soon]
and BusyCal in version 1.03.

With PI 1.2 the application will be able to synchronize directly with a
desktop computer running MacOS X [iCal] or Windows [Outlook]. I guess it
will have to take place through WiFi or the net - and that you will have
to place a system extension on the desktop. Perhaps this will include
todo sync though iCal's todo concept is extremely primitive.

BusyCal uses iCal's todos [iSync] in a smarter way but it is still iCal
todos. Eventually, I guess, this will change.

Mike

Nov 12, 2009, 3:15:05 AM11/12/09

You win!

Mike

atec7 7

Nov 12, 2009, 3:34:03 AM11/12/09
All the rick phone ring suggest is gay>and takes in the ring
some blokes are like that
Message has been deleted

atec7 7

Nov 12, 2009, 9:57:30 AM11/12/09
Michelle Steiner wrote:
> In article <hdgg68$b32$2...@news.eternal-september.org>,
> What I want to know is "Who is Rick Astley?"

Well he aint Carmen Miranda

Jon Ribbens

Nov 12, 2009, 10:27:59 AM11/12/09
On 2009-11-12, Michelle Steiner <mich...@michelle.org> wrote:
> What I want to know is "Who is Rick Astley?"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rickrolling

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

DevilsPGD

Nov 12, 2009, 12:38:10 PM11/12/09
In message <1j90tbr.13346ty1hwjy01N%p...@RQNNE.invalid> p...@RQNNE.invalid

(Per R�nne) was claimed to have wrote:

>Warren Oates <warren...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> In article <1j902oa.12drpa4yt5v58N%p...@RQNNE.invalid>,
>> p...@RQNNE.invalid (Per R�nne) wrote:
>>
>> > Exactly.
>>
>> What is your objection to jailbreaking exactly? This worm won't hit the
>> knowledgeable, so what's the problem?
>
>I simply don't want to risk my own iPhone jailbreaking it. Just to be
>able to run software I might write myself.

You don't need to jailbreak to write your own apps, if you stay more or
less within the lines. Think Different, but only like we tell you.

Per Rønne

Nov 12, 2009, 1:19:34 PM11/12/09
DevilsPGD <Death...@crazyhat.net> wrote:

Oh, the kind of software I think of, a large Danish-English,
English-Danish dictionary, would never be accepted by the AppStore as
the data belongs to the publishing house Gyldendal - unfortunately this
house doesn't seem to be interested in getting out dictionaries to
iPhone users ;-(.

Earlier this year, however, they /did/ publish proper dictionaries
between Danish and English, German, French and Spanish for MacOS X. With
110.000-150.000 words each. A competing company has, though, published
dictionaries for the iPhone but only with 35.000 words - making them
almost valueless.

At present I'm using Audio Shorter Oxford English Dictionary [600.000
entries] and Oxford's dictionaries to and from other languages [160.000
entries] on my iPhone. And Gyldendal's Dictionaries + Oxford English
Dictionary [all 23 volumes] on my Mac.

DevilsPGD

Nov 12, 2009, 1:52:35 PM11/12/09
In message <1j930pz.udvf161ckily5N%p...@RQNNE.invalid> p...@RQNNE.invalid

(Per R�nne) was claimed to have wrote:

>DevilsPGD <Death...@crazyhat.net> wrote:
>
>> In message <1j90tbr.13346ty1hwjy01N%p...@RQNNE.invalid> p...@RQNNE.invalid
>> (Per R�nne) was claimed to have wrote:

>> >I simply don't want to risk my own iPhone jailbreaking it. Just to be
>> >able to run software I might write myself.
>>
>> You don't need to jailbreak to write your own apps, if you stay more or
>> less within the lines. Think Different, but only like we tell you.
>
>Oh, the kind of software I think of, a large Danish-English,
>English-Danish dictionary, would never be accepted by the AppStore as
>the data belongs to the publishing house Gyldendal - unfortunately this
>house doesn't seem to be interested in getting out dictionaries to
>iPhone users ;-(.

You can still write your own app and run it locally, without AppStore
approval...

Your Name

Nov 12, 2009, 3:02:08 PM11/12/09

"Bandwidth" <@radiouk.com> wrote in message

It could be worse ... you could end up with Britney Spears ring tones. ;-)

Your Name

Nov 12, 2009, 3:03:44 PM11/12/09

"Michelle Steiner" <mich...@michelle.org> wrote in message
> In article <slrnhfoad4.4...@snowy.squish.net>,

> Jon Ribbens <jon+u...@unequivocal.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > > What I want to know is "Who is Rick Astley?"
> >
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rickrolling
>
> Oh, *that* Rick.

Just another one-hit-wonder "created" by the music industry because he
looked good to females, rather than someone who actually has any talent.

Per Rønne

Nov 12, 2009, 3:03:20 PM11/12/09
DevilsPGD <Death...@crazyhat.net> wrote:

As far as I know only if you're a registered and /paying/ developer.

atec7 7

Nov 12, 2009, 3:08:32 PM11/12/09
I wonder if it would still lip sync ?

alexd

Nov 12, 2009, 4:35:47 PM11/12/09
Meanwhile, at the alt.internet.wireless Job Justification Hearings, Per R�nne
chose the tried and tested strategy of:

> Michelle Steiner <mich...@michelle.org> wrote:

>> Of course, without jailbreaking, you can't install sshd.
>
> Exactly.

By that logic, buying an iphone is the problem.

--
<http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) (UnSoEs...@ale.cx)
21:34:33 up 25 days, 23:09, 4 users, load average: 0.13, 0.22, 0.17

Mike

Nov 12, 2009, 6:22:53 PM11/12/09

It might have a melt down ....

Mike

DevilsPGD

Nov 12, 2009, 7:58:11 PM11/12/09
In message <1j93656.1vi2j6wv359f8N%p...@RQNNE.invalid> p...@RQNNE.invalid

(Per R�nne) was claimed to have wrote:

>DevilsPGD <Death...@crazyhat.net> wrote:
>
>> In message <1j930pz.udvf161ckily5N%p...@RQNNE.invalid> p...@RQNNE.invalid
>> (Per R�nne) was claimed to have wrote:
>
>> >Oh, the kind of software I think of, a large Danish-English,
>> >English-Danish dictionary, would never be accepted by the AppStore as
>> >the data belongs to the publishing house Gyldendal - unfortunately this
>> >house doesn't seem to be interested in getting out dictionaries to
>> >iPhone users ;-(.
>>
>> You can still write your own app and run it locally, without AppStore
>> approval...
>
>As far as I know only if you're a registered and /paying/ developer.

Correct. Only $100 stands between you and becoming a paying developer.

el KaBong

Nov 12, 2009, 9:43:23 PM11/12/09

> You don't need to jailbreak to write your own apps, if you stay more or
> less within the lines. Think Different, but only like we tell you.

As a child did you grab the crayon and scribble all over the page, or did
you stay in the lines so it didn't get all F'd up?

Per Rønne

Nov 12, 2009, 11:13:43 PM11/12/09
DevilsPGD <Death...@crazyhat.net> wrote:

> In message <1j93656.1vi2j6wv359f8N%p...@RQNNE.invalid> p...@RQNNE.invalid
> (Per R�nne) was claimed to have wrote:
>
> >DevilsPGD <Death...@crazyhat.net> wrote:

> >> You can still write your own app and run it locally, without AppStore
> >> approval...
> >
> >As far as I know only if you're a registered and /paying/ developer.
>
> Correct. Only $100 stands between you and becoming a paying developer.

And since I'm a computer science major I should be able to develop such
an application. The matter is whether I find it worth the efforts taking
into account it would be illegal - and since the owner might decide to
develop the proper dictionaries with newer data.

I don't consider it worth the effort.
--
Per Erik R�nne, MSc
Frederikssundsvej 308B, 3. tv.

Your Name

Nov 13, 2009, 12:43:45 AM11/13/09

"Per R�nne" <p...@RQNNE.invalid> wrote in message

> DevilsPGD <Death...@crazyhat.net> wrote:
>
> > In message <1j93656.1vi2j6wv359f8N%p...@RQNNE.invalid> p...@RQNNE.invalid
> > (Per R�nne) was claimed to have wrote:

> > >As far as I know only if you're a registered and /paying/ developer.
> >
> > Correct. Only $100 stands between you and becoming a paying developer.
>
> And since I'm a computer science major I should be able to develop such
> an application. The matter is whether I find it worth the efforts taking
> into account it would be illegal - and since the owner might decide to
> develop the proper dictionaries with newer data.
>
> I don't consider it worth the effort.

On the other hand, if you've done all the work, the owner MIGHT decide to
buy the application off you (it would be cheaper than doing the work
themselves). :-)

Per Rønne

Nov 13, 2009, 2:05:53 AM11/13/09
Your Name <your...@isp.com> wrote:

> "Per R�nne" <p...@RQNNE.invalid> wrote in message

> > And since I'm a computer science major I should be able to develop such

> > an application. The matter is whether I find it worth the efforts taking
> > into account it would be illegal - and since the owner might decide to
> > develop the proper dictionaries with newer data.
> >
> > I don't consider it worth the effort.
>
> On the other hand, if you've done all the work, the owner MIGHT decide to
> buy the application off you (it would be cheaper than doing the work
> themselves). :-)

I don't think so. Gyldendal is the oldest and most dominant Danish
publishing house [founded 1770 - and with a market share close to that
of a monopoly]. They make their own decisions and the data I have come
from an old version of the Danish-English and English-Danish
dictionaries for Classic Mac. In html-code - 15-20 years old.

I think the size of the dictionaries has increased hevealy since.

Warren Oates

Nov 13, 2009, 8:39:59 AM11/13/09
In article <kJ3Lm.16117$We2...@newsfe09.iad>,
"el KaBong" <whosa...@paranoia.com> wrote:

> As a child did you grab the crayon and scribble all over the page, or did
> you stay in the lines so it didn't get all F'd up?

I made my own lines, then drew within them. I've made a lot of money
through life doing that, too.
--
Suddenly he realized that he was alone
with a giant halfwit on a dark deserted street.
-- Chester Himes

Message has been deleted

Jon Ribbens

Nov 13, 2009, 12:28:45 PM11/13/09
On 2009-11-12, Per Rønne <p...@RQNNE.invalid> wrote:
> Oh, the kind of software I think of, a large Danish-English,
> English-Danish dictionary, would never be accepted by the AppStore as
> the data belongs to the publishing house Gyldendal

You could make a generic dictionary app that can download and install
dictionary data, then it would do what you want and not be illegal and
be acceptable to the App Store.

Per Rønne

Nov 13, 2009, 1:35:54 PM11/13/09
Jon Ribbens <jon+u...@unequivocal.co.uk> wrote:

Of course - with a proper description of how data should be structured
before import.

Your Name

Nov 13, 2009, 4:43:48 PM11/13/09

> In article <005ba003$0$16820$c3e...@news.astraweb.com>,

> Warren Oates <warren...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > As a child did you grab the crayon and scribble all over the page, or
did
> > > you stay in the lines so it didn't get all F'd up?
> >
> > I made my own lines, then drew within them. I've made a lot of money
> > through life doing that, too.
>
> I drew where I wanted, and then drew the lines around it.

"Drew"?!? How quaint and old fashioned. Those of us with brains clicked on
the paint can icon, clicked on a colour, and then clicked in a blank
outlined space ... a few clicks later you click on Print and you're
finished. ;-)

I remember way back when dinosaurs roamed the earth buying a large A3+
cut-out model of an R2-D2-style droid which you had to colour in ... my
younger brother "helped" and ruined it by colouring outside the lines, and
there were none left to buy another one. :-(

Jeff Liebermann

Nov 13, 2009, 11:50:20 PM11/13/09

I started drawing on the page and then moved onto the desk, table,
chair, walls, floor, etc. Rigid artificial boundaries are not for me.

# 831-336-2558
# http://802.11junk.com je...@cruzio.com
# http://www.LearnByDestroying.com AE6KS

Your Name

Nov 14, 2009, 12:19:32 AM11/14/09

"Jeff Liebermann" <je...@cruzio.com> wrote in message

> On Thu, 12 Nov 2009 21:43:23 -0500, "el KaBong"
> <whosa...@paranoia.com> wrote:
>
> >> You don't need to jailbreak to write your own apps, if you stay more or
> >> less within the lines. Think Different, but only like we tell you.
> >
> >As a child did you grab the crayon and scribble all over the page, or
did
> >you stay in the lines so it didn't get all F'd up?
>
> I started drawing on the page and then moved onto the desk, table,
> chair, walls, floor, etc. Rigid artificial boundaries are not for me.

Then your parents came a smacked you for being naughty ... which was meant
to teach you to respect the rules. Of course, in these days of "politicially
correct" garbage you aren't allowed to smack children for being naughty, and
hence so many people think they can simply do whatever they want. :-(

Per Rønne

Nov 15, 2009, 1:30:35 PM11/15/09

There's now absolutely no reason to make such an application.

Friday, Gyldendal released dictionaries between Danish and English,
German and French. With around 200,000 entries each. I'm just
downloading those to English and German, may main foreign languages.

DevilsPGD

Nov 16, 2009, 10:07:13 PM11/16/09
In message <3csbxpr8ih91.14nswex1th7mb$.d...@40tude.net> salgud
<spamb...@comcast.net> was claimed to have wrote:

>I've gone to Google Calendar, which does a lot more and is available
>anywhere I have an internet connection. For my iPhone, I'm currently using
>Calengoo (yes, awful name) which syncs with Google Calendar and has a few
>more features than iCal. The next release will have the view I want most,
>Week View Starting Today, so I can always see a week out.
>
>Still, I'm open to something better if I see it. Not looking for tasks on
>the calendar - I have Things as my task manager synced with the desktop
>version.

Try Pocket Informant (WebIS) or SaiSuke...

Per Rønne

Nov 17, 2009, 5:23:08 AM11/17/09
DevilsPGD <Death...@crazyhat.net> wrote:

I just looked up SaiSuke. Calendar only, no tasks. But with week view
and week number.

DevilsPGD

Nov 17, 2009, 12:07:27 PM11/17/09
In message <1j9bomj.ekiuvwmwnq4tN%p...@RQNNE.invalid> p...@RQNNE.invalid

I don't think much of anything supports Google Tasks, last I heard there
was no formal API, just reverse engineering of the frontend to access
the backend -- Not an impossible task, but not a technique that has
shown to be a reliable way of accessing other Google products.

Informant does have native task support synchronizing with Toodledo.

Per Rønne

Nov 17, 2009, 12:53:41 PM11/17/09
DevilsPGD <Death...@crazyhat.net> wrote:

I know; I'm a Pocket Informant user myself.

It's just too bad that synchronization is still a problem, especially
with todos to Macs. But perhaps BusyCal will begin to support task sync
with PI? Through ToodleDo...

Even when or if Apple opens APIs to the calendar and alarm database for
third party application progammers I don't see sync of tasks through
MobileMe.

salgud

Nov 17, 2009, 5:28:51 PM11/17/09
On Thu, 12 Nov 2009 07:32:10 +0100, Per R�nne wrote:

> salgud <spamb...@comcast.net> wrote:

>>> Certainly not. And even though the iCal on Mac is much better than the
>>> iCal on the iPhone, it too isn't worth much. It doesn't even support ISO
>>> week numbers or proper tasks.
>>>
>>> I've now turned to BusyCal which seem to evolve.
>>
>> I agree about iCal - it has almost all the features of a paper wall
>> calendar, except the pretty picture.

>> I've gone to Google Calendar, which does a lot more and is available
>> anywhere I have an internet connection. For my iPhone, I'm currently using
>> Calengoo (yes, awful name) which syncs with Google Calendar and has a few
>> more features than iCal. The next release will have the view I want most,
>> Week View Starting Today, so I can always see a week out.
>>
>> Still, I'm open to something better if I see it. Not looking for tasks on
>> the calendar - I have Things as my task manager synced with the desktop
>> version.
>

> At present, Pocket Informant synchronizes through Google Calendar too
> when it comes to calendar items and with ToodleDe when it comes to
> todos. Also BusyCal synchronizes through Google Calendar [and the Mac's
> built-in iSync service] so this means that if you insert an appointment
> in Pocket Informant it will go through Google Calender, BusyCal on the
> Mac, iCal on the Mac and end up in iCal on the iPhone.
>
> Of course it had been much simpler to give the firm behind PI access to
> the calendar and alarm APIs in iPhone OS but the old fogeys at Apple
> won't allow it.
>
> I know that WebIS [Pocket Informant] and BusyMac [BusyCal] are in
> contact. Eventually this should lead to better synchronization, also
> with todos. Pocket Informant is in version 1.11 [with 1.2 coming soon]
> and BusyCal in version 1.03.
>
> With PI 1.2 the application will be able to synchronize directly with a
> desktop computer running MacOS X [iCal] or Windows [Outlook]. I guess it
> will have to take place through WiFi or the net - and that you will have
> to place a system extension on the desktop. Perhaps this will include
> todo sync though iCal's todo concept is extremely primitive.
>
> BusyCal uses iCal's todos [iSync] in a smarter way but it is still iCal
> todos. Eventually, I guess, this will change.

Yes, just after the Rocky Mountains erode into the sea.

Larry

Nov 17, 2009, 6:54:57 PM11/17/09
DevilsPGD <Death...@crazyhat.net> wrote in

> I don't think much of anything supports Google Tasks, last I heard there
> was no formal API, just reverse engineering of the frontend to access
> the backend -- Not an impossible task, but not a technique that has
> shown to be a reliable way of accessing other Google products.

http://nokiaexperts.com/google-docs-calendar-work-fine-nokia-n900/

Notice how all the google tasks are running in multiple browser windows
SIMULTANEOUSLY in the video. All the Google office stuff runs just fine on
the new N900 released last week. I think the why is it runs any webpage as
a full webpage, not as a chopped up mobile webpage like iPhone or Droid or
G1, etc. The N900 phone is in a real computer with the appropriate 800
pixel wide display....like its Linux tablet parents. All the google
devices run fine in the Mozilla browser on my N800 Linux tablets, too. No
need to use the memory for an app and no syncing is necessary if you're
using the Google-based devices like Google Calendar, etc. The changes made
to it on any device shows up automatically on any other device without
syncing mobile data bases to desktop databases, etc.

--
Larry

Per Rønne

Nov 18, 2009, 12:07:14 AM11/18/09
salgud <spamb...@comcast.net> wrote:

I've just discovered that BusyCal doesn't use iCal's todos but
administer them in their own database. Only events are synced with iCal
and consequently MobileMe.

BusyCal is only in version 1.03 and I do know that the firms between
BusyCal [BusyMac] and Pocket Informant [WebIS] have been in contact "for
some time". Also, I know that WebIS is working on PI 1.2 and that this
will include direct sync with Windows and MacOS desktop computers,
through WiFi and probably through the net - which should demand the
computer to be running and a proper port forwarding on the router.

I don't think we will have to wait for half a milliard years or so for
task sync between BusyCal and Pocket Informant to come:-).

salgud

Nov 19, 2009, 3:14:09 PM11/19/09

I just looked at both SaiSuke and PI. Unfortunately, neither has the view I
like most, one week starting today. That way, I'm always seeing a week
ahead and find it almost impossible to miss an appt.

Per Rønne

Nov 20, 2009, 1:02:28 AM11/20/09
salgud <spamb...@comcast.net> wrote:

> I just looked at both SaiSuke and PI. Unfortunately, neither has the view I
> like most, one week starting today.

Simply put, this is incorrect. Pocket Informant /does/ have a week view
with 'today' at the beginning.

But how the week view is displayed is an option. Just select
Settings->Calendar Settings->First Day of Wek->Week View>Current Cay.

But of course it is possible that this option isn't present in the free
Pocket Informant Lite.

> That way, I'm always seeing a week ahead and find it almost impossible to
> miss an appt.

I frequently swap between Today view and Calendar->Week set up in the
way you describe. In Today-view I also see todos. It is possible to have
them in week view too - but I think the calendar then looks overcrowded.

DevilsPGD

Nov 20, 2009, 1:37:42 AM11/20/09
In message <msmp3me2avpk$.1c4wsmbg...@40tude.net> salgud

<spamb...@comcast.net> was claimed to have wrote:

>On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 11:23:08 +0100, in misc.phone.mobile.iphone you wrote:
>
>> DevilsPGD <Death...@crazyhat.net> wrote:

>>> Try Pocket Informant (WebIS) or SaiSuke...
>>
>> I just looked up SaiSuke. Calendar only, no tasks. But with week view
>> and week number.
>
>I just looked at both SaiSuke and PI. Unfortunately, neither has the view I
>like most, one week starting today. That way, I'm always seeing a week
>ahead and find it almost impossible to miss an appt.

My preferred view in PI is the 7-day week, with "Today" on the top, and
the other six days in squares below, just go to PI's Settings -->
Calendar --> "First day of the week" section, change "Week view" to
Today

Saisuke does similar, although it takes a 6-square approach and then
cuts the last in half, I prefer PI's emphases on today, but it works in
a pinch, just go to iPhone Settings --> Week View --> "Start Day in the
Week" --> Today

Or am I misunderstanding your desire?

salgud

Nov 20, 2009, 10:53:02 AM11/20/09

Judging from your posts, you got smacked quite a bit. :)

Your Name

Nov 20, 2009, 5:56:58 PM11/20/09

"salgud" <spamb...@comcast.net> wrote in message

Nope. Very rarely.