"Passcode Requirement - You must change your iPhone unlock passcode within 60 minutes."

Ant

Jun 18, 2016, 12:14:31 AM6/18/16
Hello.

I had a weird incident on this old iPhone 4S, with its iOS v9.3.2 (no
jailbreaking) and Verizon Wireless. I was charging its old original
battery on a dock clock alarm station for a few hours. I entered my five
digits passcode (not numbers) and then saw a "Passcode Requirement - You
must change your iPhone unlock passcode within 60 minutes." message
(example: http://i.stack.imgur.com/KEDH8.jpg ). I told it later,
manually turned off iPhone, woke it up, re-entered my old passcode, and
saw it again. What the frak?

I searched online and it seems many people had this problem. Here's are
some things:
1. It's not a work phone.
2. I don't use cloud, e-mails, etc. on it.
3. I had wifi and cellular connections off (only turn them on when I
need to).

I went ahead and changed it passcode, but it was a four numerical digits
passcode. Huh? I thought Apple required six digits. I had to change it
back to alphanumerical passcode like I had before.

So, what the frak happened? An old bug that Apple never fixed? Malwares?
I never had seen or had this problem before on any iOS devices so it was
a first time for me. Apparently, it is not new according to the
Internet. I forgot to power cycle the iPhone to see if it would go away
before I changed my passcode (too late!). Also, it was hot today so
maybe iPhone got confused?

Thank you in advance. :)
--
Quote of the Week: "A coconut shell full of water is a sea/an ocean to an ant." --Indians
| |o o| |

Lewis

Jun 18, 2016, 1:49:49 AM6/18/16
In message <lNGdna3f2fU_V_nK...@earthlink.com>
Ant <ANT...@zimage.com> wrote:
> saw a "Passcode Requirement - You must change your iPhone unlock
> passcode within 60 minutes." message

Did you google?

<http://www.techinsider.io/passcode-requirement-iphone-bug-says-it-change-password-2016-5>

> (example: http://i.stack.imgur.com/KEDH8.jpg ). I told it later,
> manually turned off iPhone, woke it up, re-entered my old passcode, and
> saw it again. What the frak?

> I searched online and it seems many people had this problem. Here's are
> some things:

It seems you didn't search much or didn't read much of what came up.

> 1. It's not a work phone.
> 2. I don't use cloud, e-mails, etc. on it.
> 3. I had wifi and cellular connections off (only turn them on when I
> need to).

So? It's a bug. The dialog is part of MDM features on the phone. For some
reasons it can get triggered for some people. It's not a big deal, it's
just a bug that is probably really difficult to trace.

> I went ahead and changed it passcode,

No need.

--
Strange things are afoot at the Circle K

Ant

Jun 18, 2016, 5:53:05 AM6/18/16
Lewis <g.k...@gmail.com.dontsendmecopies> wrote:
> In message <lNGdna3f2fU_V_nK...@earthlink.com>
> Ant <ANT...@zimage.com> wrote:
> > saw a "Passcode Requirement - You must change your iPhone unlock
> > passcode within 60 minutes." message

> Did you google?

Yes, I said in my original post.

> <http://www.techinsider.io/passcode-requirement-iphone-bug-says-it-change-password-2016-5>

Yes, I saw that too.

> > (example: http://i.stack.imgur.com/KEDH8.jpg ). I told it later,
> > manually turned off iPhone, woke it up, re-entered my old passcode, and
> > saw it again. What the frak?

> > I searched online and it seems many people had this problem. Here's are
> > some things:

> It seems you didn't search much or didn't read much of what came up.

There weren't any clear answers except many users having it. No one
seems to know what exactly caused it since it is not work related, has
no e-mails, no profiles, etc.

> > 1. It's not a work phone.
> > 2. I don't use cloud, e-mails, etc. on it.
> > 3. I had wifi and cellular connections off (only turn them on when I
> > need to).

> So? It's a bug. The dialog is part of MDM features on the phone. For some
> reasons it can get triggered for some people. It's not a big deal, it's
> just a bug that is probably really difficult to trace.

I find it interesting that it was mentioned back since 2014. :(

> > I went ahead and changed it passcode,

> No need.

But its prompt wouldn't go away. :(

JF Mezei

Jun 18, 2016, 12:24:35 PM6/18/16

>> <http://www.techinsider.io/passcode-requirement-iphone-bug-says-it-change-password-2016-5>

Can Safari pop up a dialogue when it is not in foreground ? I can
understand an App can run some CPU cycles when it background, but can it
pop up a dialogue over the home screen or some other app ?

Would the "password change" dialogue format be possible from Safari or
would "alert" dialogues from javascipt have different look and feel ?

To me, it seems like a benevolent proof of concept for a security flaw
in iOS.

Ant

Jun 19, 2016, 2:08:37 AM6/19/16
Speaking Safari, I wasn't even using Safari, but Dolphin.
--
:) Father's Day to all dads including male alates.

Lewis

Jun 19, 2016, 1:21:46 PM6/19/16
In message <HdGdnQkNUbFmhPjK...@earthlink.com>
Yes it will.

--
"Is that a star?" "Nah, that's Ted Danson."