how long does it take to become certified?

1 view

Suzanne Dallapè

Jul 14, 2002, 4:08:26 AM7/14/02
DH and I are in an argument, one that started when he airily declared that
he should become a midwife. He said, "All I would have to do would be to
take a couple of tests." I said that it would take much more than a couple
of tests, and that he would have to attend a bunch of births too. He said
that it would only have to be about three births. Okay, so here we have him
saying that he can become a certified midwife by taking a few tests and
attending three births. I lean more toward it taking several years and a
couple hundred births to become certified. Could someone in the know tell
me which of us is closer?

By the same token, how long does it take to become a Board Certified
Lactation Consultant, and how long does it take to become a doula?

--S.

Slinky Malinky

Jul 14, 2002, 6:01:27 AM7/14/02

"Suzanne Dallapè" <kar...@smugglersalliance.net> wrote in message

I lean more toward it taking several years and a
> couple hundred births to become certified. Could someone in the know tell
> me which of us is closer?

In New Zealand it's a 3 year degree course and dependingon the training
provider it depends on how many births you have to attend. It's more
involved than just 'attending' births though, you have to follow womyn's
care, ie see them right through pregnancy, be at the birth and follow them
for the 6 weeks postnatally.
The tech closest to me uses these hours for qualification.
1st year - 2 births, 200 hours in independent practice, 80 hours in hospital
2nd year - 12+ births, 400 hours in independent practice, 80 hours hospital
3rd year - at least 30 births, at least 400 hours independent, and at least
400 hours hospital

Other training providers have differing amounts of time for hospital
practice.

Andrea

Meghan

Jul 14, 2002, 7:43:17 AM7/14/02
On Sun, 14 Jul 2002 08:08:26 GMT, "Suzanne Dallapè"
<kar...@smugglersalliance.net> wrote:

> I lean more toward it taking several years and a
>couple hundred births to become certified. Could someone in the know tell
>me which of us is closer?

You both are. :) It really depends on the requirements in your state. In
some states midwifery is alegal or illegal so the midwives are all lay
midwives rather than being licensed, and train under other midwives rather
than going to school. In states where they're licensed they have to go
through a lot more. I'm pretty sure here in Washington you have to have
completed the coursework at an accredited school.

I think it's 100 births for the Seattle midwifery school - when I was
interviewing midwives, they all mentioned the 100 births they'd attended while
training. Here's the link to the school's admissions info:
http://www.seattlemidwifery.org/midwifery_education_admissions.htm#Prerequisites

Looks like a couple of years at least, not including the college
prerequisites. Then again it's 4:30 in the morning and I'm not thinking so
straight. :)

--
Meghan, mom to Tristan (12/6/88), Killian (7/18/00), and EDD Aug/Sep '02

Lauren

Jul 14, 2002, 10:45:23 AM7/14/02

"Meghan" <mje...@annex.com> wrote in message

> On Sun, 14 Jul 2002 08:08:26 GMT, "Suzanne Dallapè"
> <kar...@smugglersalliance.net> wrote:
>
> > I lean more toward it taking several years and a
> >couple hundred births to become certified. Could someone in the know
tell
> >me which of us is closer?
>
> You both are. :) It really depends on the requirements in your state. In
> some states midwifery is alegal or illegal so the midwives are all lay
> midwives rather than being licensed, and train under other midwives rather
> than going to school.

That is heartbreaking - how can midwifery be illegal ?

Lauren - in the UK !

Meghan

Jul 14, 2002, 2:52:45 PM7/14/02
On Sun, 14 Jul 2002 15:45:23 +0100, "Lauren"
<richard.the...@dsl.pipex.com> wrote:

>That is heartbreaking - how can midwifery be illegal ?

Not nurse-midwifery, but lay/direct-entry midwifery where the midwife is
attending a birth at home. It's terrible. :(

Charlotte M.

Jul 14, 2002, 4:38:47 PM7/14/02

> Could someone in the know tell
> me which of us is closer?

To become a midwife, it depends entirely on where you on. In a place where
midwifery is legal, you will probably have to do, at a minimum, three years
of study, which includes a practicum PUS write the NARM exams. (North
American Registry of Midwives) and meet their requirements. In a place
where midwifery is not legal, you could hang out your shingle now... mind
you, you wouldn't be legal, you probably wouldn't be exactly wise with
experience, and in a minor emergency, I wouldn't lay my cards on your table.
In places where midwifery is not legal (most of Canada and the US), women
become midwives in a number of ways, often doing a distance education course
to get the theoretical knowledge down, then by doing an apprenticeship,
which is usually self-encouraged to be not less than six months, unless
you're going to a midwifery scholl like, Maternidad La Luz, in El Paso,
where attending 40 births a month is about average. Other women simply
apprentice with a midwife until both agree that the apprentice is ready to
go out on her own.

Seriously speaking, there is so much to learn in midwifery, I'd suggest you
read a book or three before you hang out your shingle. ;)

> By the same token, how long does it take to become a Board Certified
> Lactation Consultant, and how long does it take to become a doula?

The ICBLC has a web page, which I can't remember, but I'm pretty sure if you
punch all those letters (in order) into a search engine, you'll get the
page. I seem to remember about $450+, a degree in something, and exam.
There were other things to certify as well, but that was the basics.

As for a doula training, WELL NOW, as a *ahem* newly accepted doula trainer
for CAPPA, I can tell you that training as a doula can be pretty quick. For
CAPPA, it is a matter of attending a training workshop (like mine, for
example... shall I pencil you in? <grin>); attending three births, and
writing an exam. The fine print on it includes reading the books from a
reading list, becoming a CAPPA member, and getting evaluations from three
births. It's not a long process, though you have two years to complete the
entire process if you need it.

You can take a look at the web page I did on getting certified in BC at:
www.birth.bc.ca/birth/doula. This is by no means a complete list of ways to
get certified, because the list is really only relevant to BC, but it's a
quick look, with links to look at other web sites on certification.

I suspect that Jerry was confusing doula training with midwifery training,
because there is NO way that any midwife worth her salt attended three
births as the total sum of her midwifery practicum.

Charlotte

Tine Andersen

Jul 14, 2002, 6:11:29 PM7/14/02
"Meghan" <mje...@annex.com> skrev i en meddelelse

> On Sun, 14 Jul 2002 15:45:23 +0100, "Lauren"
> <richard.the...@dsl.pipex.com> wrote:
>
> >That is heartbreaking - how can midwifery be illegal ?
>
> Not nurse-midwifery, but lay/direct-entry midwifery where the midwife is
> attending a birth at home. It's terrible. :(
>
> --
> Meghan, mom to Tristan (12/6/88), Killian (7/18/00), and EDD Aug/Sep '02
Just for the record.

n Denmark we have midwife schools where it takes ??3-4 years to become a
midwife. They have a lot of practice on the nearby hospital and propably try
a homebirth (not sure). You don't have to be a nurse first, but some are as
it is a very popular education and therefore needs very high grades to get
in. A nurse education will help you in this, I believe.

All births in Denmark are run by midwives - they'll call a doctor if they
get worried about something, and they will use a wooden stethoskope to find
the childs heartbeat. When you arrive they will ask íf they may hook you up
to a monitor for 30 minutes, but you can stand and walk around a little and
no-one is monitoring the instrument in another room - it produces a paper
slip. It's not mandatory.

They will listen to your wishes, and we dont sue doctors and hospitals
here - at least very seldom - so they act more freely.

And public hospitals are free for everyone, and nearly everyone use public
hospitals. I'm not even sure the private ones deliver babies at all. If you
homebirth the midwife will most often come from the nearby hospital as well.
Not all hospitals have homebirth midwives, though.

I just love to exchange customs and ways of living. Couldn't resist :-)

Tine, Denmark

Kathy Koch

Jul 14, 2002, 6:27:37 PM7/14/02

> By the same token, how long does it take to become a Board Certified
> Lactation Consultant, and how long does it take to become a doula?

The requirements are changing, next year I think, for being eligible to take
the IBLCE. When I became certified 5 years ago, the pathway I took to be
eligible to take the the exam was a bachelor's degree, 30 hours of
continuing education and 2500 counseling/contact hours. I recertified this
year after acquring 75 continuing education hours since taking the exam in
1997. Next time (in five years), I will have to take the test again. Of
course, this is just to be eligible to take the test...then you have to pass
it!

Go here: http://www.iblce.org/ to see the new requirements for eligibility.

Kathy, IBCLC

Celeste Bannon Waterman

Jul 15, 2002, 9:24:59 AM7/15/02

"Tine Andersen" <tine.a...@post3.tele.dk> wrote in message

Tine, I just love to hear it when you post saying how things are done in
Denmark! My mother was born there and came to Canada with her family when
she was 2. I've always really enjoyed my grandparents' Danish culture, and
it really came in handy when I started to kids. My grandmother breastfed
all her kids until they were 3 or so, while my mother formula fed (she tried
to breastfeed, but 'failed' because of various bits of bad medical advice
from doctors, nurses etc.) so she's been a great resource to call on, and
when my mother comes out with 'advice' my grandma and I can surround her.
: )

But the funniest moment was right after my first son was born. I had him in
the local hospital, but it was with my midwife (we have a strong midwifery
group here in Guelph, Ontario, Canada and they have full admitting
privileges for births at the hospital) and we came home 3 hours after he was
born. My parents and grandparents came to visit the next day, but my
parents expected me to be in the hospital still. My mother kept saying 'I
don't know about this... you were home so early... it can't be good'.
Finally my Danish grandfather said to her "You were born at home and it was
just fine. What's the problem? The midwife was here this morning to check
on them and they're doing great. Hospitals are for sick people". I kissed
him.

Celeste
mom to Devin 11/26/99
and Liam 08/22/01

Jolene

Jul 15, 2002, 10:42:46 AM7/15/02
"Suzanne Dallap? <kar...@smugglersalliance.net> wrote in message news:<_jaY8.12121$Kx3....@newsread1.prod.itd.earthlink.net>...

> DH and I are in an argument, one that started when he airily declared that
> he should become a midwife. He said, "All I would have to do would be to
> take a couple of tests." I said that it would take much more than a couple
> of tests, and that he would have to attend a bunch of births too. He said
> that it would only have to be about three births. Okay, so here we have him
> saying that he can become a certified midwife by taking a few tests and
> attending three births. I lean more toward it taking several years and a
> couple hundred births to become certified. Could someone in the know tell
> me which of us is closer?

It depends on your state. Check out the NARM website
http://www.narm.org/

> By the same token,

how long does it take to become a Board Certified
> Lactation Consultant, and

http://www.leron-line.com/

how long does it take to become a doula?

http://www.dona.org/

Jolene

Jul 15, 2002, 10:43:55 AM7/15/02

http://www.leron-line.com/

how long does it take to become a doula?

http://www.dona.org/

Tine Andersen

Jul 15, 2002, 2:09:04 PM7/15/02
"Celeste Bannon Waterman" <cba...@uoguelph.ca> skrev i en meddelelse

> "Tine Andersen" <tine.a...@post3.tele.dk> wrote in message
> >
> > n Denmark we have midwife schools where it takes ??3-4 years to become a
> > midwife. They have a lot of practice on the nearby hospital and propably
> try
<snip>

> Tine, I just love to hear it when you post saying how things are done in
> Denmark! My mother was born there and came to Canada with her family when
> she was 2. I've always really enjoyed my grandparents' Danish culture,
and
> it really came in handy when I started to kids. My grandmother breastfed
> all her kids until they were 3 or so, while my mother formula fed (she
tried
> to breastfeed, but 'failed' because of various bits of bad medical advice
> from doctors, nurses etc.) so she's been a great resource to call on, and
> when my mother comes out with 'advice' my grandma and I can surround her.
> : )
> The midwife was here this morning to check
> on them and they're doing great. Hospitals are for sick people". I
kissed
> him.

Dear Celeste

I was quite happy about your comment. I have been wondering a bit about
being a nuisance with all my 'social anthropology', but it is a great
interest of mine.

I'm no longer nursing, but for a short while last fall I thought I would be
nursing again this summer at the age of 44 :-) I ended up miscarrying and
that could be the best solution. A set of parents of 44 and 49 might not be
so fun - but it could have been lovely.

I have Karen (born 92) and Niels (born 97). Karen nursed around 9 mos - I
didn't know better. Niels nursed for 25 mos. Then we made an agreement:
Little boys nurse - big boys go to day care (børnehave - ask your
grandfather what that corresponds to). And that was that.

Where in Denmark did your grandparents come from? The country is so small
that nearly everyone knows nearly every town.

Best regards,
Tine

Jolene

Jul 16, 2002, 10:05:33 AM7/16/02
"Tine Andersen" <tine.a...@post3.tele.dk> wrote in message news:<UAmY8.3966$Yf1.3...@news010.worldonline.dk>...
> "Meghan" <mje...@annex.com> skrev i en meddelelse
> > On Sun, 14 Jul 2002 15:45:23 +0100, "Lauren"
> > <richard.the...@dsl.pipex.com> wrote:
> >
> > >That is heartbreaking - how can midwifery be illegal ?
> >
> > Not nurse-midwifery, but lay/direct-entry midwifery where the midwife is
> > attending a birth at home. It's terrible. :(
> >
> > --
> > Meghan, mom to Tristan (12/6/88), Killian (7/18/00), and EDD Aug/Sep '02
> Just for the record.
>
> n Denmark we have midwife schools where it takes ??3-4 years to become a
> midwife. They have a lot of practice on the nearby hospital and propably try
> a homebirth (not sure). You don't have to be a nurse first, but some are as
> it is a very popular education and therefore needs very high grades to get
> in. A nurse education will help you in this, I believe.
>
> All births in Denmark are run by midwives - they'll call a doctor if they
> get worried about something,

It's the same here in military hospitals. When I delivered, the
military midwives were all RNs with masters degrees in midwifery.
That made them captains (or above), the same rank as most of the
doctors. They delivered the babies (unless there was a complication
that required a doctor) and supervised the nursing staff.

My daughter tells me it's the same now. Her midwife is a civilian,
but has the same credentials as her military co-workers.

I wish I could have had a midwife when I delivered in the military
hospital, but they were all on maternity leave. I got the doctor who
was on shift at the time; not much fun at all.

> And public hospitals are free for everyone, and nearly everyone use public
> hospitals. I'm not even sure the private ones deliver babies at all. If you
> homebirth the midwife will most often come from the nearby hospital as well.
> Not all hospitals have homebirth midwives, though.

We have birthing centers that are run by midwives. In case of
complications, they have working relationships with doctors who will
assist or hospitals that will admit birthing center patients.
Midwives will also deliver at home. If a patient wants a home birth
or center delivery, they have to pay for it all. Group insurance
offered by area employers won't cover anything but a birth in a
'designated hospital' managed by a 'member provider'. Nice racket,
huh?

> I just love to exchange customs and ways of living. Couldn't resist :-)

I love hearing about how labor and delivery is managed in other
countries. Even here, having your baby seems a much more pleasant
experience when there are no corporate fingers dipping in and
directing things.

Turid Mevold

Jul 16, 2002, 11:52:52 AM7/16/02
[Tine Andersen]

| n Denmark we have midwife schools where it takes ??3-4 years to become a
| midwife. They have a lot of practice on the nearby hospital and propably try
| a homebirth (not sure). You don't have to be a nurse first, but some are as
| it is a very popular education and therefore needs very high grades to get
| in. A nurse education will help you in this, I believe.

I just checked the Norwegian midwife education. As a background you'll
need three years nursing school (college level). Then you'll have to
be a licensed nurse for at least one year before you can attend
midwife college. Midwife college lasts one year. After that you'll
need at least one year of practice in a hospital before being licensed
as a midwife. So in Norway it's at least 4 years of college + 2 years
practice. I guess Suzanne's DH wouldn't get very far by attending
three births ;)

| All births in Denmark are run by midwives - they'll call a doctor if they
| get worried about something, and they will use a wooden stethoskope to find
| the childs heartbeat. When you arrive they will ask íf they may hook you up
| to a monitor for 30 minutes, but you can stand and walk around a little and
| no-one is monitoring the instrument in another room - it produces a paper
| slip. It's not mandatory.

Ditto.

| They will listen to your wishes, and we dont sue doctors and hospitals
| here - at least very seldom - so they act more freely.

Ditto.

| And public hospitals are free for everyone, and nearly everyone use public
| hospitals. I'm not even sure the private ones deliver babies at all. If you
| homebirth the midwife will most often come from the nearby hospital as well.
| Not all hospitals have homebirth midwives, though.

Ditto.

| I just love to exchange customs and ways of living. Couldn't resist :-)

And ditto ;)

--
Turid Mevold / tme...@online.no
Lydia (07/21/98), Leander (01/23/01)

Naomi Pardue

Jul 16, 2002, 9:50:49 PM7/16/02
>By the same token, how long does it take to become a Board Certified
>Lactation Consultant, and how long does it take to become a doula?

For an LC you need to put in several thousand hours of volunteer time, plus
take a bunch of college courses. I worked it out once and it's about the
equivilent of a 4 year bachelor's degree in time required.

Doula training seems to be much less rigerous. The CAPPA course requires a one
day training session (or viewing a video), attending a few births and classes
(i.e., infant care, breastfeeding), and doing a bunch of reading. (You can also
become a breastfeeding educator for a similar time committment.)

Naomi

(either remove spamblock or change address to npa...@indiana.edu to e-mail
reply.)

Celeste Bannon Waterman

Jul 18, 2002, 2:40:40 PM7/18/02

> "Celeste Bannon Waterman" <cba...@uoguelph.ca> skrev i en meddelelse
> >

> > Tine, I just love to hear it when you post saying how things are done in
> > Denmark! <
<snip my own post>

> Dear Celeste
>
> I was quite happy about your comment. I have been wondering a bit about
> being a nuisance with all my 'social anthropology', but it is a great
> interest of mine.
>
> I'm no longer nursing, but for a short while last fall I thought I would
be
> nursing again this summer at the age of 44 :-) I ended up miscarrying and
> that could be the best solution. A set of parents of 44 and 49 might not
be
> so fun - but it could have been lovely.
>
> I have Karen (born 92) and Niels (born 97). Karen nursed around 9 mos - I
> didn't know better. Niels nursed for 25 mos. Then we made an agreement:
> Little boys nurse - big boys go to day care (børnehave - ask your
> grandfather what that corresponds to). And that was that.
>
> Where in Denmark did your grandparents come from? The country is so small
> that nearly everyone knows nearly every town.
>
> Best regards,
> Tine

Hi Tine,

I actually didn't know the answer to your question, and it took me a couple
of days to get in touch with my grandmother (my grandfather unfortunately
passed away a few months ago). But I talked to her today, and she tells me
that bornehave is 'children's garden' and that that's the term for day care
in Denmark. Does that sound right?

And she was from 'Naastved', on the same island as Copenhagen. We still
have relatives there in fact. She definitely seemed to think that you would
know where that is.

And she thinks it's so cool that I could meet someone from Denmark on the
Internet. Maybe it's good for something after all. ; )

Celeste

Tine Andersen

Jul 18, 2002, 4:02:14 PM7/18/02
Dear Celeste

> I actually didn't know the answer to your question, and it took me a
couple
> of days to get in touch with my grandmother (my grandfather unfortunately
> passed away a few months ago). But I talked to her today, and she tells
me
> that bornehave is 'children's garden' and that that's the term for day
care
> in Denmark. Does that sound right?
Yup. Age from 2-3 to 5-6 normally. And the translation is correct,
naturally, as she is a native Dane.

> And she was from 'Naastved', on the same island as Copenhagen. We still
> have relatives there in fact. She definitely seemed to think that you
would
> know where that is.

Of course. I live in Copenhagen (the capitol) and Næstved is not more than
1.5 hour away by car. (Not much is - it's a small country)

> And she thinks it's so cool that I could meet someone from Denmark on the
> Internet. Maybe it's good for something after all. ; )

We are around 5 mill people here and aprox half of them have internet
access. I made my own mom (75 yo) buy a computer some months ago. She writes
e-mail and surfs on the net. I haven't introduced her to newsnet yet.

As a matter of fact: I spent 4.5 years in New York as a kid. From 60 to 64.
Do you happen to know that city :-)

Best regards to 'bedstemor' and yourself - sorry to hear about your
'bedstefar'.

Tine

Chookie

Jul 19, 2002, 3:43:14 AM7/19/02
In article <ah7273$6s$1...@testinfo.cs.uoguelph.ca>,

"Celeste Bannon Waterman" <cba...@uoguelph.ca> wrote:

> But I talked to her today, and she tells me
> that bornehave is 'children's garden' and that that's the term for day care
> in Denmark. Does that sound right?

I think it's used in most languages; in Geman and English, of course, it's
"kindergarten" (though kindergarten and day-care centre are starting to
diverge in meaning somewhat here). In Russian, it translates the same and is
pronounced something like "dyetski sad".

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

Henry Crun: Did you use Mrs Beeton's Cookery Book, Min?
Minnie Bannister: Yes -- it was the first thing I put in.
Spike Milligan, The Goon Show