insurance companies are really starting to become crooked

Brian

Apr 14, 2001, 1:15:02 AM4/14/01
to misc-indust...@moderators.isc.org
Here's my story.
I had Allstate insurance for 5 years, and had never filed a claim one with
them until last summer.
Last summer I was hit from behind, and it caused 1300 bucks worth of damage.
The person who hit me didn't have insurance, so I had to file an uninsured
motorist claim. I have pretty tainted credit from stupidly applying for a
credit card while in college. Since, my credit hasn't been the same.
Lately, I've managed to regain control of my debts, and am in the process of
healing my credit. Allstate was always good to me by allowing me to skip a
month's payment when I didn't have money, and I always paid them twice as
much the next month. They never complained or dropped me when I did this,
and it helped greatly get my debt back under control.
I had just moved when I had the accident, so my funds were a little low
after the accident, so I was late on an insurance payment. With no notice
until I called about not recievin any payment notices, I found out Allstate
had terminated my policy 2 months prior.
Thus begins the reason I'm writing this.
After finally finding an insurance company that would take me after being
dropped, and without insurance, I thought I was fine.
2 months into that policy, that company dropped me because of credit
reasons.
My insurance company got me on with another policy, and things were goin
great until today. YET AGAIN, 2 months into my policy, I recieved a
cancellation notice because "I did not meet underwriter qualifications".
Yet again I'm having to find another insurance provider...
My complaint:
I am not a cheat, a liar, or someone who intentially dodges their bills. I
do my damdest to make my bills on time. I've never cheated an insurance
company, nor do I intend on it. I don't speed (often; show me someone who
never speeds).
Insurance companies aparantly are finding a new scam to make em money. They
take advantage of people like me who have shakey credit, take their money
for a few months knowing a claim probably won't be made, then drop me after
makin a few hundred bucks of em.
This is stupid. How does a person like me ever get reasonable insurance?
My feeling towards insurance companies will never be the same. I now feel
that most are nothing more than money hungry a$$holes who have nothing
better to do then to think up new scams to put more money in their pocket.
Too all insurance companies: When you meet your maker, I ask you; do you
think the allmighty will see what you're doing to middle class people like
me as a good thing?

cal-lester

Apr 14, 2001, 3:23:12 PM4/14/01
to misc-indust...@moderators.isc.org

--

Computers let you make more mistakes faster than any other
invention in human history, with the possible exception of

> Too all insurance companies: When you meet your maker, I ask
you; do you
> think the allmighty will see what you're doing to middle class
people like
> me as a good thing?

I do not mean to be callous, nor to belittle your personal
situation, however, I will attempt to pick up the glove!

An Insurance company (any type) is simply a legitimate
bookmaker. They have only ONE PURPOSE, and that is to make money
for it's stockholders. They are NOT in business to HELP the
people that they insure, simply to do everything that they can
legally to make a profit

SCat999999

Apr 14, 2001, 11:36:31 AM4/14/01
to misc-indust...@moderators.isc.org
> Allstate was always good to me by allowing me to skip a
>month's payment when I didn't have money, and I always paid them twice as
>much the next month.

In actuality, you were going past the grace period and had to be reinstated.
You were probably dropped after your claim because of your erratic payment
history. Insurance companied don't like that. And typically will only reinstate
you for non-payment a couple of times. Your claim probably caused them to look
at your payment history and they decided when you missed another payment that
it was time to cut you loose.
You have to look at this from a business perspective. I don't know what you are
paying in premium, but your claim may have offset your loss ratio and not made
you a profitable client.

> I found out Allstate
>had terminated my policy 2 months prior.

At this point you were past the grace period and had gone longer than 30 days
without insurance. You were now considered a bad risk.

> I thought I was fine.
>2 months into that policy, that company dropped me because of credit
>reasons.

Two reasons for this. First unless you wee paying annually, you were basically
on an installment plan. Your credit history was obviously such that they
weren't looking to extend you credit. Secondly, many companies won't cover
people with bad credit since it has been proven that they tend to have higher
claims rates. Maybe not you individually, but as a group. And actuaries live
and die by the "law of large numbers."

> YET AGAIN, 2 months into my policy, I recieved a
>cancellation notice because "I did not meet underwriter qualifications".

The reason you keep getting cancelled is that the agent writing the policy
binds you "subject to approval of the company". The reasons you were cancelled
could range from your credit, the fact that you had a recent claim, had been
recently cancelled by another company etc. Each company has it's own guidlines
for the business they are willing to take.

>Insurance companies aparantly are finding a new scam to make em money. They
>take advantage of people like me who have shakey credit, take their money
>for a few months knowing a claim probably won't be made, then drop me after
>makin a few hundred bucks of em.

As Col Potter on MASH used to say..."horsehockey." The agent wrote you probably
without a full understanding of your situation (ie:credit etc) and you didn't
meet that company's guidlines. You need to go to one of the companies that
specializes in higher risk drivers ( do to circumstances you are now one) and
after a year or two will be able to switch back to a premium company.

Steve,LUTCF

Isabella N

Apr 15, 2001, 8:49:58 PM4/15/01
to misc-indust...@moderators.isc.org
>My insurance company got me on with another policy, and things were goin
>great until today. YET AGAIN,

Hmmm. I am suspecting that you are actually referring to your insurance AGENT,
not COMPANY.

I also strongly suspect that since these people can't seem to be able to get
you a policy that sticks, they are either being lazy about preparing the
information up front, or just don't know what they are doing.

I'd strongly recommend you find an AGENT in your area that knows what they are
doing, or doesn't mind doing the job right the first time.

Lots of luck.

>Too all insurance companies: When you meet your maker, I ask you; do you
>think the allmighty will see what you're doing

PS, I feel exactly this way about lawyers.
Isa

Why do they call it "tourist season" if you can't shoot them?