457 Visa - question about pregnancy-related health cover for dependents

roz

Oct 10, 2007, 8:41:04 AM10/10/07

My husband's future employer is applying for a temporary long term
business 457 visa, and if all goes well, we should be leaving for
Sydney in November.
Myself and our 4-year old daughter will be included as dependents on
the visa.

I am expecting our second child in February 2008 and I'm anxious about
how the cost of having the baby will be covered. So far, I've
discovered that I will not be entitled to Medicare as the UK no longer
has a reciprocal agreement with Australia. Also, there is a 12 month
waiting period for pregnancy-related claims on both of the Australian
private health insurance policies recommended by my husband's future
employer.

So, at the moment, I don't see any alternative but to just pay for the
birth ourselves. Does anyone know of an alternative solution? Or, does
anyone know approximately how much a straightforward birth in hospital
costs in Australia? If we do have to pay ourselves, it would help to
know roughly how much it will be.

Any help would be gratefully received.

Many thanks, Roz

--
roz

William

Oct 11, 2007, 8:30:56 PM10/11/07
On Oct 10, 10:41 pm, roz <roz.

You could try to get the employer to cover it as part of the
employment contract:)

Greg

George Lombard

Oct 12, 2007, 7:35:23 AM10/12/07
On Oct 10, 10:41 pm, roz <roz.
2y8...@advice.forums.gettingdownunder.com> wrote:

Hi Roz,

No that's a quite difficult situation and I'd suggest that you look at
http://www.medicareaustralia.gov.au/yourhealth/going_overseas/uk_sweden_finland_norway_netherlands_malta_italy.shtml
closely as well as talking to various onshore health insurers to get
an idea of the range of costs. But a critical factor is that the
employer is obliged to make sure that your health costs are covered
and to that extent I'd be inviting the employer to negotiate on the
costs involved. See http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/skilled-workers/_pdf/FAQ_457_visa_holders.pdf
.

Cheers,

George Lombard

www.austimmigration.com.au

roz

Oct 19, 2007, 4:18:17 AM10/19/07

Dear George and Greg

Thank you very much for your replies. It does look as if I will be
covered under Medicare. However, my husband is also trying to gain an
assurance from his employer that they will cover the cost, if Medicare
does not.

I now feel much better about the situation and we're all looking
forward to arriving in Australia and escaping the British winter!

Many thanks for all your help.

Best regards,

Message has been deleted

roz

Dec 15, 2007, 5:15:27 PM12/15/07

Hi Harris

I hope that you and your wife are settling in Melbourne quickly.

Since I last emailed you, I have had my medical for the 457 visa in
Sydney. I was told that I could choose to have a medical rather than a
chest x-ray because I was pregnant. I understand that, after the
pregnancy, I will have to also have a chest x-ray. Hopefully, this was
also an option for your wife.

However, having said that, the medical was a lot more expensive than
the chest x-ray and, because I was pregnant, I also had to have a blood
test for hepatitus B as part of the medical (at extra cost). In
addition, because I have a minor thyroid problem, I was asked to see a
GP and have 2 thyroid tests - this cost an extra A$200 or so.

Hopefully now that I have jumped through all of these hoops, the visa
application will go through smoothly.

I hope that you and your wife are getting on well. When is the baby
due? With all of the changes in our lives at the moment, I suddenly
realised this morning that our baby will arrive in just 8 weeks and we
don't have anywhere permanent to live or anything for the baby at the
moment! Let's hope that he doesn't arrive early!

pinturc

May 6, 2008, 3:04:41 AM5/6/08

HI,

My wifes due is in Aug 2008 and i am from india on 457 visa, i have
couple of questions

Can she go to public hospital for delivery. What will be the
citizenship of my baby.

Is the employer responsible for the medical cost, i have medi bank but
the waiting period is 12 months.

thanks

Pravin

--