Rascal Scooter Charging Problem

William K. Davenport, III

Jun 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/2/99
I have a Rascal 240 scooter that, for some reason, has lost its ability
to charge its batteries. Does anyone know what the problem is likely to
be. When I take the batteries out and charge them individually with my
automobile battery charger they work fine. This gets a bit tedious
though. I would like to be able to just plug the Rascal into an outlet.
Is there a fuse somewhere that could be blown, or something else that
can be checked. Even though its an older model, it has been used very
little, so nothing should be worn out. Any advice would really be
appreciated. I don't want to send it back to Electric Mobility if I can
fix it myself.
vcard.vcf

Mike, Customer Service

Jun 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/3/99
Hi William,

Some folks with technical ability opt to replace the charger themselves.
The charger is usually velcro'd to the frame, under the plastic housing. It
connects to the batteries and brain via snap apart plugs. The replacement
charger is about $199, I believe, and can be seen at
www.discountscooters.com/emc.html The chargers don't usually go, but can in
the event of a dead short or power surge (as created by an electrical
storm).

Batteries usually last 1-3 years, depending on use. If you're able to
charge the batteries fine with the external charger, and the charging meter
on the back of your 240 is not moving when plugged in - the charger is
probably DOA.

Hope this info helps,
Mike, customer service
Discount Scooters Mobility Superstores
http://www.discountscooters.com
401-726-5400 Ext 500

Health First Mobility

Jun 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/3/99
William K. Davenport, III wrote:

> I have a Rascal 240 scooter that, for some reason, has lost its ability
> to charge its batteries. Does anyone know what the problem is likely to
> be. When I take the batteries out and charge them individually with my
> automobile battery charger they work fine. This gets a bit tedious
> though. I would like to be able to just plug the Rascal into an outlet.
> Is there a fuse somewhere that could be blown, or something else that
> can be checked. Even though its an older model, it has been used very
> little, so nothing should be worn out. Any advice would really be
> appreciated. I don't want to send it back to Electric Mobility if I can
> fix it myself.

> -

The first thing you can check is the charging meter located on the left rear
near where the power cord comes out. When you plug your scooter into the wall
this gauge should read somewhere between 2 and 6 if it is charging. As the
batteries get closer to full charge the meter will register a lower charging
rate.

If the gauge doesn't move when you plug it in - look on the right rear under
the seat - there is a white circuit breaker button with the number 35 on it.
If it is popped-up it needs to be reset. Just push the white button down to
reset.

If this doesn't work (make sure the outlet you are plugging into is working by
plugging in a lamp or radio) then there appears to be a problem with the
built-in charger and you should call the Rascal technical people for a new
charger since they handle it directly and sell direct. Call them at
800-548-7905.

We carry the Chauffeur scooters, which are exactly the same as the Rascal, but
since we are a distributor of Chauffeur we handle the service work also. This
is what separates the Rascal and Chauffeur scooter lines. Rascal deals direct
and Chauffeur deals through local distributors who provide support and service
and in many cases the Chauffeur pricing is less. If Rascal doesn't give you
the help you need, you might try the local Chauffeur dealer in your area.

Good Luck !

Dave Simms

--
Health First Mobility
Electric Scooters, Power Wheelchairs, Equipment

William K. Davenport, III

Jun 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/3/99
to healt...@erols.com
Thanks for your help. I removed the seat and looked very carefully for
a white circuit breaker button but was unable to find one. The only
place I didn't look was on the bottom of the Rascal, but I assume you
did not mean to look there. Is it possible that the model I have
doesn't have one? The owner's manual doesn't mention a circuit
breaker. Sounds like maybe the built-in charger is bad.

I would like to check out the local Chauffeur dealer in my area, if
there is one. I live in the Maryland suburbs of Washington D.C. Can
you provide any info?

vcard.vcf

healthfirst

Jun 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/3/99
to William K. Davenport, III

William K. Davenport, III wrote:
Thanks for your help.  I removed the seat and looked very carefully for
a white circuit breaker button but was unable to find one.  The only
place I didn't look was on the bottom of the Rascal, but I assume you
did not mean to look there.  Is it possible that the model I have
doesn't have one?  The owner's manual doesn't mention a circuit
breaker.  Sounds like maybe the built-in charger is bad.

I would like to check out the local Chauffeur dealer in my area, if
there is one.  I live in the Maryland suburbs of Washington D.C.  Can
you provide any info?

I have a Chauffeur 240(the same as the Rascal) in my showroom and the circuit breaker is located on top of the rear shroud of the scooter. It is on the right rear, almost in the same location as the charging meter on the left side. You should be able to see it without removing the seat. I'm not sure how old your scooter is - if your scooter is older, the circuit breaker might be located in the battery compartment or under the rear of the scooter. It's possible, depending on the age of the scooter that there isn't one. Almost all newer scooters have a circuit breaker but sometimes they are tough to locate. It also could be a different color than white - it depends on what supplier they got them from at the time.

Here is a link to a listing of Chauffeur distributors in your area - you should be able to find help from one of them.
 Chauffeur Dealer Listing Page
http://members.aol.com/ChauffMob9/pagethree.html

Hope this helps !

Dave Simms

--
Health First Mobility & Access Solutions
Electric scooters, Powerchairs, Lifts & Ramps

dawn.ta...@gmail.com

Apr 16, 2017, 11:37:34 AM4/16/17
Do you have to keep the scooter on charge when not in use as IV just bought one but have no hand book it's only been used a couple of times since new any help would be much appreciated

mackenz...@gmail.com

Aug 4, 2018, 3:23:15 PM8/4/18
My battery condition meter isn't working. Any ideas how to fix? The scooter is running yet I just don't trust it without this working and have had to be pushed in it. Can you please send me the picture details on how to fix. I am okay with attempting to fix on my own if I can see how to.

Joe M

Aug 15, 2023, 9:41:12 AM8/15/23