Não é mais possível fazer postagens ou usar assinaturas novas da Usenet nos Grupos do Google. O conteúdo histórico continua disponível.

Beyond Brawn recommendations question

0 visualização
Pular para a primeira mensagem não lida

Chris Wirtalla

não lida,
15 de mai. de 2002, 15:16:1815/05/2002
para
Hi all, I'm reading Stuart McRobert's "Beyond Brawn" and finding the advice
to be very healthy and well-advised. However, I do have one question: if
you focus mainly on compound exercises such as the squat and deadlift, what
should I do about the other areas of my body that need work -- especially
upper body like triceps, biceps, etc? The squats and deadlift seem to have
great power in building muscles throughout your entire body, but they don't
seem to work those areas specifically (according to his definitions in the
book).

I'm still trying to understand everything in the book -- so any advice would
be great. For the record, I'm 28 years old and I have the body of a 6th
grader (a 6th grader who has a slight beer gut, that is). Pretty scrawny, a
tiny bit of definition from my days as a drummer, but definitely need to
bulk up across all areas.
Thanks,

Chris

David Cohen

não lida,
15 de mai. de 2002, 15:26:2415/05/2002
para

"Chris Wirtalla" <ron....@verizon.net> wrote:
> I'm still trying to understand everything in the book -- so any
advice would
> be great. For the record, I'm 28 years old and I have the body of
a 6th
> grader

Well, if the body is in the basement and is starting to smell, you
better move it or bury it.

HTH

David

Keith Hobman

não lida,
15 de mai. de 2002, 15:42:4615/05/2002
para
In article <6uyE8.8250$8M5....@nwrddc01.gnilink.net>, "Chris Wirtalla"
<ron....@verizon.net> wrote:

Try it and report back.

I was always quite strong in the back, doing chins and things like that.
So I liked working that body part. Under my powerlifting program I
basically do the squat, bench and deadlift as well as exercises like good
mornings and the olympic lifts and variations for assistance. No chins,
rows, etc.

After a couple of years on this I started to wonder if my back and biceps
were weak. When I started training I could do pulldowns with about 320 lbs
for a set of 5. Or put a 80 lb dumbbell in my feet and do chins for about
the same.

After deadlifting and doing cleans for 2 years I could easily do 5 chins
with an 80 lb dumbbell. I quit worrying about it.

--
Keith Hobman

"We who are about to squat, salute you!" (Lyle McDonald)

Adam Fahy

não lida,
15 de mai. de 2002, 16:11:1315/05/2002
para
Chris Wirtalla wrote:
> Hi all, I'm reading Stuart McRobert's "Beyond Brawn" and finding the advice
> to be very healthy and well-advised. However, I do have one question: if
> you focus mainly on compound exercises such as the squat and deadlift, what
> should I do about the other areas of my body that need work -- especially
> upper body like triceps, biceps, etc? The squats and deadlift seem to have
> great power in building muscles throughout your entire body, but they don't
> seem to work those areas specifically (according to his definitions in the
> book).

If you include exercises like bench & overhead presses, chins/pulldowns
and rows, your biceps and triceps will definitely be 'worked.' That
said, if you specifically want bigger arms (for example), specific work
for your arms (curls, tricep extensions) would be warranted. The
unspoken point is not to overdo it with hundreds of curl variations, and
then wonder why your progress is stalling or regressing.

-Adam

Chris Wirtalla

não lida,
15 de mai. de 2002, 17:49:1615/05/2002
para
I have no idea what that means but it's a fantastic phrase nonetheless.
Thanks.

"David Cohen" <sammi...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

Bryce Lane

não lida,
15 de mai. de 2002, 17:46:4415/05/2002
para

"Chris Wirtalla" <ron....@verizon.net> wrote in message
: Hi all, I'm reading Stuart McRobert's "Beyond Brawn" and finding the

advice
: to be very healthy and well-advised. However, I do have one question: if
: you focus mainly on compound exercises such as the squat and deadlift,
what
: should I do about the other areas of my body that need work -- especially
: upper body like triceps, biceps, etc? The squats and deadlift seem to
have
: great power in building muscles throughout your entire body, but they
don't
: seem to work those areas specifically (according to his definitions in the
: book).

I do not believe the routines are not exclusively deadlift and squat
routines. His stuff is usually very well rounded.

:
: I'm still trying to understand everything in the book -- so any advice

would
: be great. For the record, I'm 28 years old and I have the body of a 6th
: grader (a 6th grader who has a slight beer gut, that is). Pretty scrawny,
: tiny bit of definition from my days as a drummer, but definitely need to
: bulk up across all areas.

Then do something like this, its a McRobert/Leistner/McCallumism:

Squat 1x20 (20 rep rest/pause thing Stuart is rather fond of)
Bench 2 x12
Chins or feet supported chins 2 x as many as you can
2 Dumbell overhead press 3 x8
Straight leg deadlift 1 x16 (very clean, metered and precise form)

Do it three times a week or like this, these short yet effective little
routines are easy to program:

Mon
Squat 1x20 (like above)
Dips 2x12
Chins 2 x??

Wed.
2 DB clean and press 4x10
Raiseovers, wheel, or ab work of your choice

Fri.
Deadlift 1 x16
Bench 2 x12
Bent row 2x16

You can also use little cycling arrangements and micro loads if you like. It
really is just about this simple.

--
Bryce
http://home.attbi.com/~joandbryce/power.htm

: Thanks,
:
: Chris
:
:

whit

não lida,
16 de mai. de 2002, 02:08:0716/05/2002
para

David Cohen <sammi...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

<Brick Top>

Or find a pig farm...

</Brick Top>

Whit

mfle...@csub.edu

não lida,
16 de mai. de 2002, 12:24:1716/05/2002
para
In article <b1IE8.1797$HE2.1...@newsread1.prod.itd.earthlink.net>,
"whit" <wh...@whit.net> wrote:

Don't know Brick Top but the main character in Unintended Consequences
used a pig farm to dispose of some inconvenient dead bodies.

Michael

--
Michael W. Fleming, Network Analyst, California State University
Voice/mail:(661)664-2118 (24hrs) Fax:(661)664-2099 (24hrs)

whit

não lida,
16 de mai. de 2002, 22:40:2316/05/2002
para

<mfle...@csub.edu> wrote in message

> In article <b1IE8.1797$HE2.1...@newsread1.prod.itd.earthlink.net>,
> "whit" <wh...@whit.net> wrote:
>
> >David Cohen <sammi...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

> >> advice would
> >> a 6th
> >>
> >> Well, if the body is in the basement and is starting to smell, you
> >> better move it or bury it.
> >>
> >> HTH
> >>
> >> David
> >
> ><Brick Top>
> >
> >Or find a pig farm...
> >
> ></Brick Top>
> >
> >Whit
>
> Don't know Brick Top but the main character in Unintended Consequences
> used a pig farm to dispose of some inconvenient dead bodies.
>
> Michael

Brick Top was a character in Snatch, which is one of my favorite movies.

And if somebody pipes up and says that Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels
is better, they are wrong.

Whit

Watson Davis

não lida,
16 de mai. de 2002, 23:13:1416/05/2002
para

Dude.

Even You've Got Mail was better than Snatch.

Watson (the ninja of nice) Davis

whit

não lida,
17 de mai. de 2002, 00:21:0917/05/2002
para

Watson Davis <wat...@watsonmusic.com> wrote in message

Snatch is an AWESOME movie.

It is not up with my #1 faves like Chariots of Fire, the Godfather, The
Exorcist, or A Clockword Orange, but it is an awesome movie.

It rools!

Whit

Tom Morley

não lida,
17 de mai. de 2002, 09:06:3717/05/2002
para
In article <Vy%E8.3969$HE2.3...@newsread1.prod.itd.earthlink.net>,
"whit" <wh...@whit.net> wrote:

....snip....

> Snatch is an AWESOME movie.
>
> It is not up with my #1 faves like Chariots of Fire, the Godfather, The
> Exorcist, or A Clockword Orange, but it is an awesome movie.
>
> It rools!
>
> Whit

I was trying to come up with a list of my top 10 favorite
movies. It would not include The Exorcist, but
would include Clockwork Orange. Others that would
be likely to make the top 10 are Paths of Glory,
Dr. Stangelove, Rosemary's Baby, Wild Strawberries,
Psyco, 2001, The Ruling Class

The best recent movie I've seen is Y Tu Mama Tambien.

The best movie I never want to see again: The Cook, the Thief,
His Wife and her Lover. Incredibly effective. Very hard to watch.

Recent Movies that might make it to my
all time favorite list: Memento, The Usual Suspects,
Resevior Dogs.

Some flawed movies that are, none the less, great:
Natural Born Killers, My Favorite Year.

I probably missing a lot here.

--
Tom Morley |
mor...@math.gatech.edu | Same roads,

Watson Davis

não lida,
17 de mai. de 2002, 11:23:1817/05/2002
para

Not one of my favorite movies.

>the Godfather,

One of my favorite movies.

>The Exorcist,

Not one of my favorite movies.

>or A Clockword Orange,

One of my favorite movies.

In my favorite movie list, I'd have to include Pulp Fiction, Memento,
The Usual Suspects, Silverado, American Beauty, Seven, LA
Confidential, Amistad, Silence Of The Lambs, The Shawshank Redemption,
Schindler's List, Monty Python and the Holy Grail, American History X,
Aliens, Alien, Bladerunner, Shrek, The Princess Bride, The
Philadelphia Story, Patton, Sling Blade, The Man Who Wasn't There.

Honorable mention to Primary Colors, Saving Private Ryan,
Pleasantville, Taxi Driver, Serpico, The Matrix, X-Men, Sixth Sense,
The Professional (Leon), Braveheart, Fargo, Amadeus, The Green Mile,
Full Metal Jacket, Almost Famous, The Elephant Man, Die Hard, The
Royal Tenenbaums, Black Hawk Down, A Beautiful Mind, LOTR.

But that's just me trying to waste time preparing for a meeting...

Lisa

não lida,
17 de mai. de 2002, 13:09:5617/05/2002
para

"Watson Davis" <wat...@watsonmusic.com> wrote ...

> In my favorite movie list, I'd have to include Pulp Fiction, Memento,
> The Usual Suspects, Silverado, American Beauty, Seven, LA
> Confidential,

I notice a high proportion of Kevin Spacey appearances. He *is* good.

Amistad, Silence Of The Lambs, The Shawshank Redemption,
> Schindler's List, Monty Python and the Holy Grail, American History X,
> Aliens, Alien, Bladerunner, Shrek, The Princess Bride, The
> Philadelphia Story,

While I cannot agree with many of these, you redeemed yourself as a man of
rare and refined good taste with that final one.
<smooches>
---
Lisa

Watson Davis

não lida,
17 de mai. de 2002, 14:26:2217/05/2002
para
On Fri, 17 May 2002 17:09:56 GMT, "Lisa"
<fd4t...@earthlink.zappspam.net> wrote:

>"Watson Davis" <wat...@watsonmusic.com> wrote ...
>> In my favorite movie list, I'd have to include Pulp Fiction, Memento,
>> The Usual Suspects, Silverado, American Beauty, Seven, LA
>> Confidential,
>
>I notice a high proportion of Kevin Spacey appearances. He *is* good.

For a second there, I just asked myself: "Okay, self, what movies has
Kevin Spacey been in?"

>Amistad, Silence Of The Lambs, The Shawshank Redemption,
>> Schindler's List, Monty Python and the Holy Grail, American History X,
>> Aliens, Alien, Bladerunner, Shrek, The Princess Bride, The
>> Philadelphia Story,
>
>While I cannot agree with many of these, you redeemed yourself as a man of
>rare and refined good taste with that final one.
><smooches>

Aw, shucks.

And I didn't even include Steel Magnolias and Closer To The Heart for
the chix.

Watson Davis

não lida,
17 de mai. de 2002, 15:19:0617/05/2002
para

Oops, sorry, Where The Heart Is.

Tom Morley

não lida,
17 de mai. de 2002, 15:22:2917/05/2002
para
In article
<4B0DA63BB6539C29.A11CF78C...@lp.airnews.net>,
Watson Davis <wat...@watsonmusic.com> wrote:

You left out:

Brazil, The Time Bandits, The day the earth stood still (original)
The Night of the Living Dead (original version), Blade Runner,
Dark Star, Everything else David Lynch has directed,
A Boy and His Dog, Beauty and the Beast (original version),
Things to Come, Shoah, Boxcar Bertha, Chinatown,
Fight Club, Dark City, The Maltese Falcon, Dial M for Murder
(original version), A Street Car Named Desire, Akira,
The Seven Samuri (Shichinin no samurai), Ran,
Macbeth (by Kuwosawa, original title: Kumonosu jo),
8 1/2, Yojimbo, The Postman Aways Rings Twice (original
version), Double Idemnity (original version), The
Cain Mutiny, Trafic, Requium for a Dream.

And others.

Keith Hobman

não lida,
17 de mai. de 2002, 15:28:4317/05/2002
para
In article
<6B5E3490D447F3D4.D2402E0E...@lp.airnews.net>,
Watson Davis <wat...@watsonmusic.com> wrote:

No redemption here. How can you possible include a list of all time great
movies and exclude 'Cool Hand Luke'?

Not too mention Braveheart?

And what is Shrek doing there? Are you seriously saying you could watch it
more than once?

Other than that its a pretty good list. A couple I haven't seen I'm going
to have to rent on the theory that a weight-liftin', guitar man can't be
completely bad, even if he is from Texas.

--
Keith Hobman

You can put your boots in the oven, but that doesn't make them biscuits.

Watson Davis

não lida,
17 de mai. de 2002, 16:46:2917/05/2002
para

oh my god. How could I forget these? I feel horrible!

> Blade Runner,

I included this one.

>Dark Star, Everything else David Lynch has directed,

I usually don't like David Lynch films. Mulholland Drive sucked
except for the fact that it had lesbian love scenes with Laura Elena
Harring and Naomi Watts. I'll forgive quite a bit for lesbian love
scenes with those two.

And Blue Velvet should have been on the list. Other than that.
Blech.

>A Boy and His Dog,

I saw this a LONG time ago and I really can't say I remember it.
Isn't it based on A Door Into Summer or something like that?

>Beauty and the Beast (original version),
>Things to Come, Shoah, Boxcar Bertha, Chinatown,

Nah.

>Fight Club,

Lots of people will disagree with me here, but I didn't even bother to
watch the end of this. It wasn't doing me.

>Dark City,

Good movie. Should have been in the Honorable Mentions.

>The Maltese Falcon, Dial M for Murder
>(original version), A Street Car Named Desire, Akira,

Well...

>The Seven Samuri (Shichinin no samurai),

Excellent movie. Should have been in there.

>Ran,
>Macbeth (by Kuwosawa, original title: Kumonosu jo),
>8 1/2, Yojimbo, The Postman Aways Rings Twice (original
>version), Double Idemnity (original version), The
>Cain Mutiny, Trafic, Requium for a Dream.

Hmmm... these didn't get me going. Especially Traffic which I thought
was WAY overhyped.

Watson Davis

não lida,
17 de mai. de 2002, 16:48:1517/05/2002
para

I've never seen it. I'll take a look next time Audrey's out of town.

>Not too mention Braveheart?

It was in the list.

>And what is Shrek doing there? Are you seriously saying you could watch it
>more than once?

Yes.

>Other than that its a pretty good list. A couple I haven't seen I'm going
>to have to rent on the theory that a weight-liftin', guitar man can't be
>completely bad, even if he is from Texas.

I forgot a ton of great movies. I can't believe I forgot Brazil.

Tom Morley

não lida,
17 de mai. de 2002, 17:36:4517/05/2002
para
In article
<3B3A80079CFCCE17.CB021724...@lp.airnews.net>,
Watson Davis <wat...@watsonmusic.com> wrote:

> >A Boy and His Dog,
>
> I saw this a LONG time ago and I really can't say I remember it.
> Isn't it based on A Door Into Summer or something like that?
>

> Watson (the ninja of nice) Davis

A Boy and His Dog was based on the Harlan Ellison short
story called --- <drum roll.....>
A Boy and His Dog

Tom Morley

não lida,
17 de mai. de 2002, 18:15:4017/05/2002
para
In article
<3B3A80079CFCCE17.CB021724...@lp.airnews.net>,
Watson Davis <wat...@watsonmusic.com> wrote:

I also forgot:

The King of Hearts, The Witches, Treasure of Siera Madre,
After Hours, Wise Blood, Fargo, Reanimator, The Big Labowski,
Pi, The Thin Blue Line, M, Metropolis (F. Lang), Blowup,
Z, African Queen, Moby Dick, The Dead, Evil Dead Part II, Klute,
1900, The Last Emperor, Fahrenheit 451, Les Quatre cents coups
(The 400 Blows), Tirez sur le pianiste (Shoot the Piano Player),
Virtigo, The Batleship Potemkin, Anything by the Marx Brothers,
Anything by W. C. Fields, Carrie, Il Giardino dei Finzi-Contini
(Garden of the Finzi-Contini's), La Notte di San Lorenzo
(Night of the Shooting Stars)....

Jonathan

não lida,
17 de mai. de 2002, 18:36:3817/05/2002
para
Watson Davis <wat...@watsonmusic.com> wrote in message news:<4B0DA63BB6539C29.A11CF78C...@lp.airnews.net>...

> On Fri, 17 May 2002 04:21:09 GMT, "whit" <wh...@whit.net> wrote:
>

> >Watson Davis <wat...@watsonmusic.com> wrote in message

> Barrels
> >>
> >> Dude.
> >>
> >> Even You've Got Mail was better than Snatch.
> >>
> >> Watson (the ninja of nice) Davis
> >>

> >Snatch is an AWESOME movie.
> >
> >It is not up with my #1 faves like
> >Chariots of Fire,
>
> Not one of my favorite movies.
>
> >the Godfather,
>
> One of my favorite movies.
>
> >The Exorcist,
>
> Not one of my favorite movies.
>
> >or A Clockword Orange,
>
> One of my favorite movies.

The book was much better ;)

Seriously, though, the damn thing rambles on directionlessly for ages
after it should have ended.

Jonathan

Lisa

não lida,
17 de mai. de 2002, 18:50:5717/05/2002
para

"Watson Davis" <wat...@watsonmusic.com> wrote ...
> >Aw, shucks.
> >
> >And I didn't even include Steel Magnolias and Closer To The Heart for
> >the chix.
>
> Oops, sorry, Where The Heart Is.

Well, it's not on my list under either title. Nor Steel Magnolias. Last I
looked, I qualify as 'chix' but do NOT see the appeal in the genre 'chick
flick'.
OTOH, I though Braveheart was incredibly bad, so I suppose my gender-linked
movie judgement is not entirely skewed.
---
Lisa
Mel Gibson does nothing for me - kilt or not

Bryce Lane

não lida,
17 de mai. de 2002, 19:00:5217/05/2002
para

"Lisa" <fd4t...@earthlink.zappspam.net> wrote in message
:
: "Watson Davis" <wat...@watsonmusic.com> wrote ...

: > >Aw, shucks.
: > >
: > >And I didn't even include Steel Magnolias and Closer To The Heart for
: > >the chix.
: >
: > Oops, sorry, Where The Heart Is.
:
: Well, it's not on my list under either title. Nor Steel Magnolias. Last I
: looked, I qualify as 'chix' but do NOT see the appeal in the genre 'chick
: flick'.
: OTOH, I though Braveheart was incredibly bad, so I suppose my
gender-linked
: movie judgement is not entirely skewed.

Rob Roy was much better. Braveheart was ridiculous and made me cry for all
the wrong reasons, much like getting a horrible rash in an inaccessable
area.

Bryce

: ---

:
:

whit

não lida,
17 de mai. de 2002, 20:10:0317/05/2002
para

Bryce Lane <joand...@attbi.com> wrote in message

Ok, it's bad enough that Watson dissed "Snatch", an awesome movie, but now
somebody is saying Rob Roy is BETTER than Braveheart?

Braveheart is a fantastic movie.

Rob Roy was pretty good, but nuttin' special.

Obviously, that's my OPINION.

Whit

whit

não lida,
17 de mai. de 2002, 20:34:0317/05/2002
para

Watson Davis <wat...@watsonmusic.com> wrote in message

> On Fri, 17 May 2002 04:21:09 GMT, "whit" <wh...@whit.net> wrote:
>

> >Watson Davis <wat...@watsonmusic.com> wrote in message

> >Barrels
> >>
> >> Dude.
> >>
> >> Even You've Got Mail was better than Snatch.
> >>
> >> Watson (the ninja of nice) Davis
> >>

> >Snatch is an AWESOME movie.
> >
> >It is not up with my #1 faves like
> >Chariots of Fire,
>
> Not one of my favorite movies.

That's because there is not a power center to be found.

> >the Godfather,
>
> One of my favorite movies.

Because there is a BIG power center, ie Marlon Brando.

> >The Exorcist,
>
> Not one of my favorite movies.

Because there is no power center.

> >or A Clockword Orange,
>
> One of my favorite movies.

Dim had a burgeoning Power Center.

Whit

Bryce Lane

não lida,
17 de mai. de 2002, 20:59:4417/05/2002
para

: > : OTOH, I though Braveheart was incredibly bad, so I suppose my

: > gender-linked
: > : movie judgement is not entirely skewed.
: >
: > Rob Roy was much better. Braveheart was ridiculous and made me cry for
all
: > the wrong reasons, much like getting a horrible rash in an inaccessable
: > area.
: >
: > Bryce
:
: Ok, it's bad enough that Watson dissed "Snatch", an awesome movie, but now
: somebody is saying Rob Roy is BETTER than Braveheart?

Yes, and quite correctly.

:
: Braveheart is a fantastic movie.

Only on acid and also perhap if cheep sentimentality, bad accents, and dumb
dialog iz your thang. Typical hollywood cliche crud at its worst.

:
: Rob Roy was pretty good, but nuttin' special.

Yikes!

:
: Obviously, that's my OPINION.

Yes.

Bryce

:
: Whit

: > :
: >
: >
: >
:
:

Kent Durham

não lida,
17 de mai. de 2002, 15:46:1017/05/2002
para
In article <7A9ED976163F2FC8.F679BB44...@lp.airnews.net>,

Watson Davis <wat...@watsonmusic.com> wrote:
>On Fri, 17 May 2002 17:09:56 GMT, "Lisa"
>For a second there, I just asked myself: "Okay, self, what movies has
>Kevin Spacey been in?"

Not on the list, but check out Swimming With Sharks if you haven't seen
it and you're a Kevin Spacey fan.

Kent
--

whit

não lida,
17 de mai. de 2002, 21:54:4717/05/2002

> : > : OTOH, I though Braveheart was incredibly bad, so I suppose my
> : > gender-linked
> : > : movie judgement is not entirely skewed.
> : >
> : > Rob Roy was much better. Braveheart was ridiculous and made me cry for
> all
> : > the wrong reasons, much like getting a horrible rash in an
inaccessable
> : > area.
> : >
> : > Bryce
> :
> : Ok, it's bad enough that Watson dissed "Snatch", an awesome movie, but
now
> : somebody is saying Rob Roy is BETTER than Braveheart?
>
> Yes, and quite correctly.
>
> :
> : Braveheart is a fantastic movie.
>
> Only on acid and also perhap if cheep sentimentality, bad accents, and
dumb
> dialog iz your thang. Typical hollywood cliche crud at its worst.

Braveheart, imo, is definitely not typical hollywood cliche crud.

Neither is Rob Roy, it's just not nearly as good.

Whit

Jon P

não lida,
17 de mai. de 2002, 22:27:2717/05/2002
para
in article 35f9666d.02051...@posting.google.com, Jonathan at
linnt...@hotmail.com wrote on 5/17/02 3:36 PM:

>>> or A Clockword Orange,
>>
>> One of my favorite movies.
>>

> The book was much better ;)
>
> Seriously, though, the damn thing rambles on directionlessly for ages
> after it should have ended.
>
> Jonathan

The question is: last chapter in the book, yes or no?

I gives me a pain in the Gulliver, me brother.

--
Jon P

Jon P

não lida,
17 de mai. de 2002, 22:32:0717/05/2002
para
in article tmorley-1705...@user-37kadja.dialup.mindspring.com, Tom
Morley at tmo...@bmtc.mindspring.com wrote on 5/17/02 3:15 PM:

> I also forgot:
>
> The King of Hearts, The Witches, Treasure of Siera Madre,
> After Hours, Wise Blood, Fargo, Reanimator, The Big Labowski,
> Pi, The Thin Blue Line, M, Metropolis (F. Lang), Blowup,
> Z, African Queen, Moby Dick, The Dead, Evil Dead Part II, Klute,
> 1900, The Last Emperor, Fahrenheit 451, Les Quatre cents coups
> (The 400 Blows), Tirez sur le pianiste (Shoot the Piano Player),
> Virtigo, The Batleship Potemkin, Anything by the Marx Brothers,
> Anything by W. C. Fields, Carrie, Il Giardino dei Finzi-Contini
> (Garden of the Finzi-Contini's), La Notte di San Lorenzo
> (Night of the Shooting Stars)....

Did anyone mention The Thin Man?

--
Jon P

Bryce Lane

não lida,
17 de mai. de 2002, 22:34:0417/05/2002
para

"whit" <wh...@whit.net> wrote in message
:
: Bryce Lane <joand...@attbi.com> wrote in message

Unless you have seen alot of "hollywood cliche crud" and it contains to many
paralles with such for mere coincidence.

:
: Neither is Rob Roy, it's just not nearly as good.

YOU need a drug test. Or at least one trip throught he "aesthet-o-tron"

Bryce
:
: Whit
:
:
:

David Cohen

não lida,
17 de mai. de 2002, 22:42:2917/05/2002
para

"whit" <wh...@whit.net> wrote in message

"Iron Giant" was better than all of them.

David

whit

não lida,
17 de mai. de 2002, 22:44:0317/05/2002
para

Jon P <xg...@yahooSPAM.com> wrote in message

I forgot to mention

The Searchers
The Right Stuff
LOTR
Citizen Cane
Magnolia
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Singing in the Rain
Full Metal Jacket
Jerry Maguire
Cool Hand Luke
Dirty Harry
Star Wars
Jaws
Apocalypse Now
Raging Bull
Blade Runner (director's cut, which is sans narration is much better,
btw...)
Mean Streets
Rocky
The Limey
Rudy

Whit

whit

não lida,
17 de mai. de 2002, 22:47:2117/05/2002
para

Bryce Lane <joand...@attbi.com> wrote in message

I am always subject to drug tests at my job, plus I don't need them - I am
high on life! :)

And we are just going to have to agree to disagree.

again

Whit

whit

não lida,
17 de mai. de 2002, 22:48:0517/05/2002
para

David Cohen <sammi...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

That was actually a very good movie, but can't compare to Braveheart. Vin
Diesel did some great voice work in Iron Giant.

Whit

Bryce Lane

não lida,
17 de mai. de 2002, 23:28:5017/05/2002
para

:
: I am always subject to drug tests at my job, plus I don't need them - I am
: high on life! :)

Maybe thats it.

:
: And we are just going to have to agree to disagree.

If you promise to take a couple of trips through the "aesthet-o-tron".

Bryce
:
: again
:
: Whit
:
:

Bryce Lane

não lida,
17 de mai. de 2002, 23:28:5017/05/2002
para

: >
: > Braveheart, imo, is definitely not typical hollywood cliche crud.

: >
: > Neither is Rob Roy, it's just not nearly as good.
:
: "Iron Giant" was better than all of them.

I have not seen this. Can you transcibe it for me and do some Ansi-text
pictures of the main action scenes?

Bryce

:
: David
:
:

Lisa

não lida,
17 de mai. de 2002, 23:48:1417/05/2002
para

"Kent Durham" <kdu...@nyx10.nyx.net> wrote ...

> Not on the list, but check out Swimming With Sharks if you haven't seen
> it and you're a Kevin Spacey fan.

Thanks. I have not seen this. And, in looking that one up, I've discovered
yet another that looks tasty
http://www.flickfilosopher.com/flickfilos/archive/002q/bigkahunaswimsharks.h
tml

Supposed to make a 9:10 show tonight, but I can't turn off Stevie Ray, my
hair's still damp and I'm just NOT one to be late.
---
Lisa
I still remember - and let it be said
The way you make me feel, take a fool to forget

David Cohen

não lida,
18 de mai. de 2002, 00:17:4218/05/2002
para

"Bryce Lane" <joand...@attbi.com> wrote in message

Yes, I can

David

Bryce Lane

não lida,
18 de mai. de 2002, 01:17:0818/05/2002
para

"David Cohen" <sammi...@earthlink.net> wrote in message
:
: "Bryce Lane" <joand...@attbi.com> wrote in message

Very-well then! As you were.

Bryce

:
: David
:
:
:

Watson Davis

não lida,
18 de mai. de 2002, 01:30:5818/05/2002
para
On Sat, 18 May 2002 03:48:14 GMT, "Lisa"
<fd4t...@earthlink.zappspam.net> wrote:

>"Kent Durham" <kdu...@nyx10.nyx.net> wrote ...
>
>> Not on the list, but check out Swimming With Sharks if you haven't seen
>> it and you're a Kevin Spacey fan.

I have NOT seen that.

>Thanks. I have not seen this. And, in looking that one up, I've discovered
>yet another that looks tasty
>http://www.flickfilosopher.com/flickfilos/archive/002q/bigkahunaswimsharks.h
>tml

This one didn't do much for me. The acting's great but the movie just
didn't work.

Tom Morley

não lida,
18 de mai. de 2002, 06:34:3718/05/2002
para
In article <B90B34BD.64FA%xg...@yahooSPAM.com>, Jon P
<xg...@yahooSPAM.com> wrote:

I should have. The scene on Christmas morning, Nick
and Nora with hangovers, shooting out Christmas tree ornaments,
is pure genius. And very funny.

Jon P

não lida,
18 de mai. de 2002, 09:07:3518/05/2002
para
in article tmorley-1805...@user-37kachi.dialup.mindspring.com, Tom
Morley at tmo...@bmtc.mindspring.com wrote on 5/18/02 3:34 AM:

> In article <B90B34BD.64FA%xg...@yahooSPAM.com>, Jon P
> <xg...@yahooSPAM.com> wrote:
>
>> in article tmorley-1705...@user-37kadja.dialup.mindspring.com, Tom
>> Morley at tmo...@bmtc.mindspring.com wrote on 5/17/02 3:15 PM:
>>>
>>> I also forgot:
>>>
>>> The King of Hearts, The Witches, Treasure of Siera Madre,
>>> After Hours, Wise Blood, Fargo, Reanimator, The Big Labowski,
>>> Pi, The Thin Blue Line, M, Metropolis (F. Lang), Blowup,
>>> Z, African Queen, Moby Dick, The Dead, Evil Dead Part II, Klute,
>>> 1900, The Last Emperor, Fahrenheit 451, Les Quatre cents coups
>>> (The 400 Blows), Tirez sur le pianiste (Shoot the Piano Player),
>>> Virtigo, The Batleship Potemkin, Anything by the Marx Brothers,
>>> Anything by W. C. Fields, Carrie, Il Giardino dei Finzi-Contini
>>> (Garden of the Finzi-Contini's), La Notte di San Lorenzo
>>> (Night of the Shooting Stars)....
>>
>> Did anyone mention The Thin Man?
>>
>> --
>> Jon P
>

> I should have. The scene on Christmas morning, Nick
> and Nora with hangovers, shooting out Christmas tree ornaments,
> is pure genius. And very funny.

Of course the book is much darker and more miserable - but good - as are all
of Dashiell Hammett's books. But the whole series of Thin Man movies is
very funny, and no one drinks on screen like Nick & Nora.

More movies (varying seriousness):

Any James Bond Movie with Sean Connery

The Bridge on the River Kwai
A Bridge Too Far
The Bridge at Ramagen
The Dirty Dozen
The Guns of Navarone
Das Boot
The Longest Day
at least three Zulu movies
The Man Who Would be King

any movie with Humphry Bogart - Treasure of the Sierra Madre, Cain Mutiny
(rolling the ball bearings), Maltese Falcon

--
Jon P

Anna

não lida,
18 de mai. de 2002, 11:47:2718/05/2002
para

Okay - gotta add Entrapment to this list. Sean Connery and Catherine Zita
Jones... fun interaction and *damn* she looks fine.

And Sixth Sense. See it. Then see it again to find all the things you
missed the first time.

Just my $.03 worth.

Anna

Anna

não lida,
18 de mai. de 2002, 11:54:5118/05/2002
para
On Fri, 17 May 2002 08:06:37 -0500, Tom Morley wrote:

> In article <Vy%E8.3969$HE2.3...@newsread1.prod.itd.earthlink.net>,
> "whit" <wh...@whit.net> wrote:
>
> ....snip....

>> Snatch is an AWESOME movie.
>>

>> It is not up with my #1 faves like Chariots of Fire, the Godfather, The
>> Exorcist, or A Clockword Orange, but it is an awesome movie.
>>
>> It rools!
>>
>> Whit
>
> I was trying to come up with a list of my top 10 favorite movies. It
> would not include The Exorcist, but would include Clockwork Orange.
> Others that would be likely to make the top 10 are Paths of Glory, Dr.
> Stangelove, Rosemary's Baby, Wild Strawberries, Psyco, 2001, The Ruling
> Class
>
> The best recent movie I've seen is Y Tu Mama Tambien.
>
> The best movie I never want to see again: The Cook, the Thief, His Wife
> and her Lover. Incredibly effective. Very hard to watch.

Best Movie I Never Want to See Again:

A Time to Kill.

Awesome movie. Everyone should see it. I never want to see it again.

> Recent Movies that might make it to my all time favorite list: Memento,
> The Usual Suspects, Resevior Dogs.
>

> Some flawed movies that are, none the less, great: Natural Born Killers,
> My Favorite Year.
>

> I probably missing a lot here.

Yep - you missed: Very Bad Things.

Nina

não lida,
18 de mai. de 2002, 17:34:2418/05/2002
para
In article
<539E591721B2F1D7.A087690F...@lp.airnews.net>,
Watson Davis <wat...@watsonmusic.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 18 May 2002 03:48:14 GMT, "Lisa"
> <fd4t...@earthlink.zappspam.net> wrote:
>

> >"Kent Durham" <kdu...@nyx10.nyx.net> wrote ...
> >
> >> Not on the list, but check out Swimming With Sharks if you haven't
> >> seen
> >> it and you're a Kevin Spacey fan.
>
> I have NOT seen that.

It's a description of my first three years of working in Hollywood!
It's brilliant.

Cheers,
Nina

--
http://www.theslack.com
Home of Mendoza, the Decision-Making Chicken

Watson Davis

não lida,
19 de mai. de 2002, 00:25:5019/05/2002
para
On Sat, 18 May 2002 14:34:24 -0700, Nina <ninaS...@mindspring.com>
wrote:

>In article
><539E591721B2F1D7.A087690F...@lp.airnews.net>,
>Watson Davis <wat...@watsonmusic.com> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 18 May 2002 03:48:14 GMT, "Lisa"
>> <fd4t...@earthlink.zappspam.net> wrote:
>>

>> >"Kent Durham" <kdu...@nyx10.nyx.net> wrote ...

>> I have NOT seen that.
>
>It's a description of my first three years of working in Hollywood!
>It's brilliant.
>
>Cheers,
>Nina

You're saying that you were brilliant your first three years in
Hollyweird?

Did you stop being brilliant after that?

Jon Louden

não lida,
19 de mai. de 2002, 11:53:0619/05/2002
whit <wh...@whit.net> wrote:

> Snatch is an AWESOME movie.
>
> It is not up with my #1 faves like Chariots of Fire, the Godfather, The
> Exorcist, or A Clockword Orange, but it is an awesome movie.
>
> It rools!
>
> Whit

You dropped the 'd'.

And Rob Roy *is* a better movie than Braveheart.

Jon Louden

não lida,
19 de mai. de 2002, 12:02:1419/05/2002
para
In article <ninaSPAMOFF-3340...@News.CIS.DFN.DE>, Nina
<ninaS...@mindspring.com> wrote:

> In article
> <539E591721B2F1D7.A087690F...@lp.airnews.net>,
> Watson Davis <wat...@watsonmusic.com> wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 18 May 2002 03:48:14 GMT, "Lisa"
> > <fd4t...@earthlink.zappspam.net> wrote:
> >

> > >"Kent Durham" <kdu...@nyx10.nyx.net> wrote ...

> > I have NOT seen that.
>
> It's a description of my first three years of working in Hollywood!
> It's brilliant.
>
> Cheers,
> Nina

No doubt. "Shut up! Listen! And Learn!"

It gave me the chills to remember some of the bastards I had the
misfortune to work with. Now, when on the set, many of us, on our way
to the honey wagon for a morning constitutional, will proudly exclaim,
"Time to go lay some producer eggs!"

I need to get a life...

ATP

não lida,
19 de mai. de 2002, 23:57:3619/05/2002
para

"Tom Morley" <tmo...@bmtc.mindspring.com> wrote in message

> You left out:
>
> Brazil, The Time Bandits, The day the earth stood still (original)
> The Night of the Living Dead (original version), Blade Runner,
> Dark Star, Everything else David Lynch has directed,

he's good. AFA his work on TV, Twin Peaks has not been surpassed, even by
HBO, which has fewer budget and creative restrictions to deal with.

mfle...@csub.edu

não lida,
20 de mai. de 2002, 14:51:0120/05/2002
para
In article <B90BC9C3.6549%xg...@yahooSPAM.com>,
Jon P <xg...@yahooSPAM.com> wrote:

>More movies (varying seriousness):
>
>Any James Bond Movie with Sean Connery
>
>The Bridge on the River Kwai

Most excellent.

>A Bridge Too Far

Way bad.

>The Bridge at Ramagen
>The Dirty Dozen

Brainless fun.

>The Guns of Navarone

Not great, but OK

>Das Boot

Very good

>The Longest Day

This movie and the opening 20 minutes of Saving Private Ryan are two of
the best D-Day flicks.

Michael

--
Michael W. Fleming, Network Analyst, California State University
Voice/mail:(661)664-2118 (24hrs) Fax:(661)664-2099 (24hrs)
Disclaimer: I directly represent only myself and my family;
indirectly, I represent God and all His creation.

Watson Davis

não lida,
20 de mai. de 2002, 18:01:1420/05/2002
para
On Sat, 18 May 2002 15:54:51 GMT, Anna <rev...@mn.rr.com> wrote:

>On Fri, 17 May 2002 08:06:37 -0500, Tom Morley wrote:
>
>> In article <Vy%E8.3969$HE2.3...@newsread1.prod.itd.earthlink.net>,
>> "whit" <wh...@whit.net> wrote:
>>
>> ....snip....
>>>
>>> Snatch is an AWESOME movie.
>>>
>>> It is not up with my #1 faves like Chariots of Fire, the Godfather, The
>>> Exorcist, or A Clockword Orange, but it is an awesome movie.
>>>
>>> It rools!
>>>
>>> Whit
>>
>> I was trying to come up with a list of my top 10 favorite movies. It
>> would not include The Exorcist, but would include Clockwork Orange.
>> Others that would be likely to make the top 10 are Paths of Glory, Dr.
>> Stangelove, Rosemary's Baby, Wild Strawberries, Psyco, 2001, The Ruling
>> Class
>>
>> The best recent movie I've seen is Y Tu Mama Tambien.
>>
>> The best movie I never want to see again: The Cook, the Thief, His Wife
>> and her Lover. Incredibly effective. Very hard to watch.
>
>Best Movie I Never Want to See Again:
>
>A Time to Kill.
>
>Awesome movie. Everyone should see it. I never want to see it again.

Love that movie. Seen it 3 or 4 times on cable. Totally forgot about
it. Shoulda been on the list.

ATP

não lida,
20 de mai. de 2002, 22:29:4320/05/2002
para

"Anna" <rev...@mn.rr.com> wrote in message

> Okay - gotta add Entrapment to this list. Sean Connery and Catherine Zita
> Jones... fun interaction and *damn* she looks fine.

Please elaborate on that last point.

0 nova mensagem