Gym Etiquette: Idiots in the GYM!

William Greene

Jul 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/15/97

Steve Kidwell <the...@indiana.net> wrote:
> Don't you get sick of the 'One Month a Year' lifters who permeate the
> gym? It seems like these people's mission is just to annoy the shit
> out of you.

Worst months for this:

January - everyone with their New Year's resolutions ...

April - first rays of sun and people start thinking about bathing suits ...

October - yard work slows down, kids are in school, "this winter I'm gonna
work hard so I look good in the Spring ..."

Kimberly Ann Weeden

Jul 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/15/97

In article <33cbbae1...@news.zippo.com>,
Steve Kidwell <the...@indiana.net> wrote:

>I was doing leg presses the other day when this female heffer decides
>to screw up my workout. After pounding out a rigorous set I did my
>usual - head to the water fountain for a drink and some recuperation
>time. When I arrived back at the leg press I found the most
>disgusting female in the place unloading my weights!!!
>
>I politely interjected, "Excuse me, I'm still using that and I've got
>a few sets left. I'll be done shortly." The female sloth then
>replied, "But you weren't here." Getting a little irritated I
>replied, "Well, I went to get a drink!"

Let's see. You left a machine to get water and an
undisclosed amount of "recuperation time". (Most advanced
body builders take, what, 3 minutes between sets?) You
then are offended that someone came and used the
machine without asking you. So, she was supposed to (a)
pick you out from all the other people in the gym as the
person who had just used the leg press, (b) know that you
weren't just another one of those assholes who leave
machines loaded, and (c) walk over to the water fountain just
to ask you if she could work in.

And then you complain bitterly that she "screwed up your workout."
Please.

(Anyone else notice that half the "morons in the gym" posts
complain about people who "steal" machines between sets, and the
other half complain about people who hog the machines between
sets? It's George Carlin's morons and idiots skit, revisited.)

Kim

nenutt

Jul 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/15/97

SRenick wrote:

> the...@indiana.net (Steve Kidwell) wrote:
> >Don't you get sick of the 'One Month a Year' lifters who permeate the
> >gym? It seems like these people's mission is just to annoy the shit
> >out of you.
> >
> >I was doing leg presses the other day when this female heffer decides
> >to screw up my workout. After pounding out a rigorous set I did my
> >usual - head to the water fountain for a drink and some recuperation
> >time. When I arrived back at the leg press I found the most
> >disgusting female in the place unloading my weights!!!
> >
> >I politely interjected, "Excuse me, I'm still using that and I've got
> >a few sets left. I'll be done shortly." The female sloth then
> >replied, "But you weren't here." Getting a little irritated I
> >replied, "Well, I went to get a drink!"
> >
> >Roseanne Barr's doppleganger, not realizing she had just committed the
> >gym equivalent of farting in someone's face at the dinner table, gave
> >me a snide grunt and stormed away.
>
> And you let her get away with that? I make 'em put it back.
>
> Stef

In my gym, a *lot* of the time, guys will load up equipment, like the
sled, do their thing and walk away, leaving their weights on for someone
else to unload. It could be why this person did what she did; however,
I agree, she should have apologized and backed off and waited for you to
finish. Nancy :) 8

Robert Spector

Jul 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/15/97

What amuses me most about this recurring thread is the assumption that
everyone on m.f.w. is not one of these "idiots".

Yes, I know the comeback, "Yeah, well you are!".

I'm sorry you feel that way.

Kimberly Ann Weeden wrote:

> In article <33cbbae1...@news.zippo.com>,
> Steve Kidwell <the...@indiana.net> wrote:
> >

> >I was doing leg presses the other day when this female heffer decides
> >to screw up my workout.

I'm sorry Steve, but I gotta disagree with you on this one.

First, you think this woman PURPOSELY decided to "screw up" your
workout?

> > After pounding out a rigorous set I did my
> >usual - head to the water fountain for a drink and some recuperation
> >time.

This is not difficult. Did you leave ANYTHING on the leg press to
indicate you were using it?

Cuz let me tell you something that pisses ME off - idiots in MY gym who
just leave plates on, then don't come back. First, I feel really sorry
for that poor woman at the end of the night (I've even helped her out I
feel so bad for her sometimes) who has to put back all those plates.

Hey, SOMEBODY has to. If you are finished, put ALL the plates back.
Even if there's only a 45 on each side. Hey, ever think that there are
some people who are doing rehab and that is alot of weight for them?

If you are still using the machine (which is never a problem for me,
since I do only one set. More evidence on how the world would be a
better place if there were more HITers), then LEAVE your belt, or towel
or whatever on the machine.

I was a multi-set guy way back when. That's what you do.

>> When I arrived back at the leg press I found the most
> >disgusting female in the place unloading my weights!!!

The horror. What if she was a gorgeous babe?

> >I politely interjected, "Excuse me, I'm still using that and I've got
> >a few sets left. I'll be done shortly." The female sloth then
> >replied, "But you weren't here."

...and you interpreted this by...

>> Getting a little irritated I
> >replied, "Well, I went to get a drink!"

Okay, she replied to your question with a decent answer.

Hey, you know me - no flame intended, Steve. The lack of gym etiquette
pisses me off to no end. The BEST gym I was ever at was where Sandeep
De works out - Popeye's gym.

I couldn't believe that EVERYBODY removed ALL the plates from a machine
after use. And this gym had some pretty damn huge guys using ALOT of
plates.

And all the dumbbells were put away as well.

Gee, is this so hard?

<Kimberly Ann Weeden>

> Let's see. You left a machine to get water and an
> undisclosed amount of "recuperation time". (Most advanced
> body builders take, what, 3 minutes between sets?)

Who knows. Who cares? The "advanced" bodybuilders aren't exactly in a
big rush to get out of the gym anyways. We know this from the people
here who work out at the same gym as the pros.

Plus there was that guy....what was his name again...Tom McSomething who
spends 1 1/2 hours LITERALLY doing squats.

> You
> then are offended that someone came and used the
> machine without asking you. So, she was supposed to (a)
> pick you out from all the other people in the gym as the
> person who had just used the leg press, (b) know that you
> weren't just another one of those assholes who leave
> machines loaded, and (c) walk over to the water fountain just
> to ask you if she could work in.

I have to agree.

> And then you complain bitterly that she "screwed up your workout."
> Please.

Yup. Again, if she had been a hot hardbodied babe, would you honestly
have had the same reaction?

> (Anyone else notice that half the "morons in the gym" posts
> complain about people who "steal" machines between sets, and the
> other half complain about people who hog the machines between
> sets? It's George Carlin's morons and idiots skit, revisited.)

HAH!

"Didja ever notice that everyone who drives slower than you is an
IDIOT? And that every one that drives faster is a MAAAANIAC!!!!"

Steve Kidwell

Jul 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/15/97

On Tue, 15 Jul 1997 22:23:25 GMT, ml...@suffolk.lib.ny.us (Mike Lane)
wrote:

>the...@indiana.net (Steve Kidwell) wrote:
>

>>The moral to the story is: If you walk up to a weight loaded piece of
>>equipment, ask if anyone is using it before you just take the machine
>>over!!!
>>
>>Steve Kidwell, Natural Physique Systems
>>http://www.indiana.net/~thekid/phys.htm
>

>I generally stand by the machine for about 7-10 seconds before I start
>unloading it. If your gone longer then that or don't come a runnin
>when you see someone hovering by the machine you really have no right
>to consider it "reserved".
>
>MikL

OK Mike. You get an 'F' for the Gym Etiquette course. Considering a
machine reserved and having time to get a drink or take a piss without
some jagoff unloading your weights are entirely different.

*"If liberals can't beat you, if they're losing on the issues, they do *
* one of two things. They either call you a bigot or a racist. Or they *
* sue you." *
* -J.C. Watts *

Steve Kidwell, Natural Physique Systems
http://www.indiana.net/~thekid/phys.htm

Steve Kidwell

Thomas Cangelosi

Jul 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/15/97

nenutt wrote:

> SRenick wrote:
> >
> > the...@indiana.net (Steve Kidwell) wrote:
> > >Don't you get sick of the 'One Month a Year' lifters who permeate the
> > >gym? It seems like these people's mission is just to annoy the shit
> > >out of you.
> > >
> > >I was doing leg presses the other day when this female heffer decides
> > >to screw up my workout. After pounding out a rigorous set I did my
> > >usual - head to the water fountain for a drink and some recuperation
> > >time. When I arrived back at the leg press I found the most
> > >disgusting female in the place unloading my weights!!!
> > >
> > >I politely interjected, "Excuse me, I'm still using that and I've got
> > >a few sets left. I'll be done shortly." The female sloth then
> > >replied, "But you weren't here." Getting a little irritated I
> > >replied, "Well, I went to get a drink!"
> > >
> > >Roseanne Barr's doppleganger, not realizing she had just committed the
> > >gym equivalent of farting in someone's face at the dinner table, gave
> > >me a snide grunt and stormed away.
> >
> > And you let her get away with that? I make 'em put it back.
> >
> > Stef
>
> In my gym, a *lot* of the time, guys will load up equipment, like the
> sled, do their thing and walk away, leaving their weights on for someone
> else to unload. It could be why this person did what she did; however,
> I agree, she should have apologized and backed off and waited for you to
> finish. Nancy :) 8

I find it sad that people leave plates and dumbells lying around after
their
workout. What the hell is that?? I mean, isn't one of the reasons why
your
working out is to avoid being lazy and doing something meaningful with
your time?
I find it is a total lack of respect for your fellow gym rat to leave
weights
around. I think this thread proves that. Many of you responded that you
don't know
when someone is using a machine or not because weights are still loaded
on it. If
everyone showed some common decency towards one another, problems like
Steves wouldn't
happen.

My solution for keeping the machine I am working on "reserved" while I
go to the
water fountain is to leave my grips or straps on it.

just my opinion,
tc

SRenick

Jul 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/15/97

Mongo

Jul 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/16/97

SRenick <*se...@acpub.duke.edu> wrote:

Geez, dude I woulda kicked her fuckin' ass right there on
the spot!!

Steve Kidwell

Jul 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/16/97

On 15 Jul 1997 17:20:23 -0700, wee...@leland.Stanford.EDU (Kimberly
Ann Weeden) wrote:

>In article <33cbbae1...@news.zippo.com>,
>Steve Kidwell <the...@indiana.net> wrote:
>>

>>I was doing leg presses the other day when this female heffer decides
>>to screw up my workout. After pounding out a rigorous set I did my
>>usual - head to the water fountain for a drink and some recuperation
>>time. When I arrived back at the leg press I found the most
>>disgusting female in the place unloading my weights!!!
>>
>>I politely interjected, "Excuse me, I'm still using that and I've got
>>a few sets left. I'll be done shortly." The female sloth then
>>replied, "But you weren't here." Getting a little irritated I
>>replied, "Well, I went to get a drink!"
>>

>Let's see. You left a machine to get water and an
>undisclosed amount of "recuperation time". (Most advanced

>body builders take, what, 3 minutes between sets?) You

>then are offended that someone came and used the
>machine without asking you. So, she was supposed to (a)
>pick you out from all the other people in the gym as the
>person who had just used the leg press, (b) know that you
>weren't just another one of those assholes who leave
>machines loaded, and (c) walk over to the water fountain just
>to ask you if she could work in.

a) If you saw me working out and the amount of weight on the leg press
you'd know how obvious it would be. b) I never leave the machine
loaded with weights and I wasn't gone long c) If she had walked over
to the water fountain I may have choked to death while viewing her
unspeakably horrid appearance.

>And then you complain bitterly that she "screwed up your workout."
>Please.

I see. So you are one of these pains in the ass also.

>(Anyone else notice that half the "morons in the gym" posts
>complain about people who "steal" machines between sets, and the
>other half complain about people who hog the machines between
>sets? It's George Carlin's morons and idiots skit, revisited.)
>

>Kim

Kim,

It's just plain courteous not to stand around and wait for someone to
finish a set and then start unloading the machine without asking them
if they are finished. An appropriate action for the young lady would
have been to ask to work in as I was finishing the set.

Also, I'm not really as superficial about looks as this post sounded.
It just made a good story to tell the truth in this case. However, I
often let unattractive females work-in when approached. You must be a
feminist Kim.

"Feminism was created to give unattractive females access to
mainstream society." - "Feminazis"
-Rush Limbaugh :-)

*"If liberals can't beat you, if they're losing on the issues, they do *
* one of two things. They either call you a bigot or a racist. Or they *
* sue you." *
* -J.C. Watts *

Steve Kidwell

Jul 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/16/97

On Tue, 15 Jul 1997 21:21:33 -0400, Robert Spector
<rspe...@on-it.net> wrote:

>What amuses me most about this recurring thread is the assumption that
>everyone on m.f.w. is not one of these "idiots".

Actually I'm sure there are plenty of them reading. This was a
freakin' public service message for all the people who don't have a
clue Rob.

You said it. :-)

>Kimberly Ann Weeden wrote:
>>
>> In article <33cbbae1...@news.zippo.com>,
>> Steve Kidwell <the...@indiana.net> wrote:
>> >
>> >I was doing leg presses the other day when this female heffer decides
>> >to screw up my workout.
>

>I'm sorry Steve, but I gotta disagree with you on this one.
>
>First, you think this woman PURPOSELY decided to "screw up" your
>workout?

Does this even need a response? Of course I don't think that. She
decided unwittingly to screw it up by unloading my plates.

>> > After pounding out a rigorous set I did my
>> >usual - head to the water fountain for a drink and some recuperation
>> >time.
>

>This is not difficult. Did you leave ANYTHING on the leg press to
>indicate you were using it?

Yeah, I left a shitload of sweat! It would have been clean if I was
done.

>Cuz let me tell you something that pisses ME off - idiots in MY gym who
>just leave plates on, then don't come back. First, I feel really sorry
>for that poor woman at the end of the night (I've even helped her out I
>feel so bad for her sometimes) who has to put back all those plates.

No arguement here. That is when you ask anyone standing around: Have
you seen anyone use this recently? If nobody is around then you
unload it after thoroughly scanning the area to see if anyone is on
their way back.

>Hey, SOMEBODY has to. If you are finished, put ALL the plates back.
>Even if there's only a 45 on each side. Hey, ever think that there are
>some people who are doing rehab and that is alot of weight for them?
>
>If you are still using the machine (which is never a problem for me,
>since I do only one set. More evidence on how the world would be a
>better place if there were more HITers), then LEAVE your belt, or towel
>or whatever on the machine.

They would just move the towel Rob. They move my bag, my notes, my
towel, my belt. Idiots don't care.

>I was a multi-set guy way back when. That's what you do.
>

>>> When I arrived back at the leg press I found the most
>> >disgusting female in the place unloading my weights!!!
>

>The horror. What if she was a gorgeous babe?

Well....if a gorgeous babe got as shitty with me as this chick did
then I would definitely have responded the same way. Actually, I was
quite polite I thought. She was the rude one. You would be amazed
out how far out of my way I go to be polite in the gym. I try to
avoid all the stereotype associated with bodybuilding.

>> >I politely interjected, "Excuse me, I'm still using that and I've got
>> >a few sets left. I'll be done shortly." The female sloth then
>> >replied, "But you weren't here."
>

>...and you interpreted this by...
>

>>> Getting a little irritated I
>> >replied, "Well, I went to get a drink!"
>

>Okay, she replied to your question with a decent answer.

A decent answer????!!!??? The *ONLY* answer was to say, "Oh, I'm
sorry I didn't realize you were using it. May I work in?" Her
response implied to me that she waited to pounce as soon as I went to
the water fountain. BTW, it is only about 30 feet from the leg press.

><Kimberly Ann Weeden>

>> Let's see. You left a machine to get water and an
>> undisclosed amount of "recuperation time". (Most advanced
>> body builders take, what, 3 minutes between sets?)
>

>Who knows. Who cares? The "advanced" bodybuilders aren't exactly in a
>big rush to get out of the gym anyways. We know this from the people
>here who work out at the same gym as the pros.
>
>Plus there was that guy....what was his name again...Tom McSomething who
>spends 1 1/2 hours LITERALLY doing squats.
>

>> You
>> then are offended that someone came and used the
>> machine without asking you. So, she was supposed to (a)
>> pick you out from all the other people in the gym as the
>> person who had just used the leg press, (b) know that you
>> weren't just another one of those assholes who leave
>> machines loaded, and (c) walk over to the water fountain just
>> to ask you if she could work in.
>

>I have to agree.

See the above and you'll see the light. (Hopefully...you are a HITer
I know)

>> And then you complain bitterly that she "screwed up your workout."
>> Please.

Robert Spector

Jul 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/16/97

Thomas Cangelosi wrote:

> nenutt wrote:
> >

> > In my gym, a *lot* of the time, guys will load up equipment, like the
> > sled, do their thing and walk away, leaving their weights on for someone
> > else to unload. It could be why this person did what she did; however,
> > I agree, she should have apologized and backed off and waited for you to
> > finish. Nancy :) 8
>
> I find it sad that people leave plates and dumbells lying around after
> their
> workout. What the hell is that??

Yeah, the rat bastards. Pisses me off, like I said.

> I mean, isn't one of the reasons why
> your
> working out is to avoid being lazy and doing something meaningful with
> your time?

One of the reasons, maybe.

> I find it is a total lack of respect for your fellow gym rat to leave
> weights
> around. I think this thread proves that. Many of you responded that you
> don't know
> when someone is using a machine or not because weights are still loaded
> on it. If
> everyone showed some common decency towards one another, problems like
> Steves wouldn't
> happen.

You know, you are ABSOLUTELY RIGHT. Suppose like at the gym I was at
(Popeye's) EVERYBODY knew that when you are finished, it is a RULE to
take off ALL the plates. This would solve all the problems, right?

You'd see a loaded machine, and you wouldn't do anything, cuz you'd KNOW
somebody's still using it.

I say that's the solution - enforcement of this rule. I don't care if
you got 1,000lbs on there - you're taking it ALL off when you are
finished (unless of course, the next person is also using 1,000lbs).

I don't wanna hear, "but I"m tired now". Fugg, you had the strength to
put the plates ON, didn't ya?

> My solution for keeping the machine I am working on "reserved" while I
> go to the
> water fountain is to leave my grips or straps on it.

As Steve just e-mailed me and said, in his gym people will actually move
his stuff including belt, bag, even NOTES.

That I can't understand.

> just my opinion,

I agree with it. Let's form an action coalition because this is a
recurring problem that should be DESTROYED ONCE AND FOR FUGGIN' ALL!!!!!

Rrrrrr!!!!!

Okay....sorry, too much caffeine today.

Rob

X-Man

Jul 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/16/97

Yea this is a problem at my gym too. When I see a machine that I want
to use that has weights on it with no one around I have wonder how
long I have to watch the machine sit idle before I decide that the
last idiot who used it (and didn't unload it) isn't coming back.

Really pisses me off. What do you think is reasonable amount of time
to wait? I've got better things to do than keep an eye on all the
machines to figure out which ones are really being used and which ones
are permanently "in-use".

from being taken is to only go drinks when I'm completely done with a
machine, not between sets. A little bit of a sacrifice but I only do
3 sets per machine so its no biggie.

IMHO, anything longer than going to get a drink and I think you should
give-up the machine. When I rest between sets, I stay at the machine
so there is no confusion.

As posted earlier, people who go to the gym to workout and then are
too lazy to unload the weights are real assholes.

And as long as I'm ranting, fuckheads who can't deal with putting the
right plates in on the right pegs on the hammer strength machines.
Here's a clue, the 10's and the 25's don't go together. There are
pegs for each plate size, duh!

What the fuck is up with this - these meatheads cant even match the
weight in the their hand with the ones on the pegs. A god-damn 4 year
old could do a better job. Bite me.

Neal Glover

Jul 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/16/97

Robert Spector <rspector@*spamprotect*on-it.net> wrote...

> As Steve just e-mailed me and said, in his gym people will actually
> move his stuff including belt, bag, even NOTES.

That's when you kick their ass. Either that or grab some plates, or heavy
dumbells, and stand over them waiting for the machine...repeatedly
accidentally dropping the weights on their feet.

Neal
--
Neal Glover (nealg...@uky.campus.mci.net)
Electrical Engineer, Lead Programmer - Essengy Software

Neal Glover

Jul 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/16/97

Steve Kidwell <the...@indiana.net> wrote ...

> OK Mike. You get an 'F' for the Gym Etiquette course. Considering
> a machine reserved and having time to get a drink or take a piss
> without some jagoff unloading your weights are entirely different.

Take a piss!? Take your piss before or after you use the machine, not
when someone else might want it.

Sorry, but if you leave the room for a piss (or anything else) you risk
losing the machine. Of course, that doesn't *necessarily* include losing
it to vultures waiting for the machine, since they see where you're
heading. But if someone just walked in, or just finished on another
machine and decided to head that way, you're SOL. The machine is fair game
to them.

If you want to keep your machines safe while ya pee, be courteous yourself
and mark it as yours by leaving a towel or waterbottle on it. Either that
or take your piss behind it, then you can be sure no one will want it :-).

Neal Glover

Jul 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/16/97

nenutt <nen...@earthlink.net> wrote ...

> In my gym, a *lot* of the time, guys will load up equipment, like
> the sled, do their thing and walk away, leaving their weights on
> for someone else to unload.

Lazy assholes/morons/idiots in the gym. They're in there to get big, get
strong, improve their fitness, improve their conditioning, etc. yet they
can't carry their weights away or unload their machines. It should be a
rule, put things away or you don't move on to the next machine, or come
back to the gym.

Anthony Searle

Jul 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/16/97

: Ann Weeden) wrote:
:
: >In article <33cbbae1...@news.zippo.com>,
: >Steve Kidwell <the...@indiana.net> wrote:
: >>
[...]

Perhaps you need a sign reading "Reserved for Steve Kidwell, Ugly bitches should be home
making me a sandwich."
You could also buy a water bottle, and not need to leave your machine.

You whine a lot. Much like Rush Limbaugh.

A REAL asshole in the gym story comes from my first workout in the USA.

On a short trip, I needed a place to workout, the first few gyms wouldn't accomodate a
"week-pass" but I found an "upscale" gym that was a little "chromy" but would suffice, they
even gave me a week for free. So I changed, worked out and came back to my locker, where
someone had pried my lock open and stolen my wallet.

Shit, if Reagan/Bush weren't so set on driving a huge gap between the rich and the poor, this
surely wouldn't of happened.

Kelly McMillan

Jul 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/16/97

SRenick wrote:

> the...@indiana.net (Steve Kidwell) wrote:
> >Don't you get sick of the 'One Month a Year' lifters who permeate the
> >gym? It seems like these people's mission is just to annoy the shit
> >out of you.
> >
> >I was doing leg presses the other day when this female heffer decides
> >to screw up my workout. After pounding out a rigorous set I did my
> >usual - head to the water fountain for a drink and some recuperation
> >time. When I arrived back at the leg press I found the most
> >disgusting female in the place unloading my weights!!!
> >
> >I politely interjected, "Excuse me, I'm still using that and I've got
> >a few sets left. I'll be done shortly." The female sloth then
> >replied, "But you weren't here." Getting a little irritated I

> >replied, "Well, I went to get a drink!"
> >
> >Roseanne Barr's doppleganger, not realizing she had just committed the
> >gym equivalent of farting in someone's face at the dinner table, gave
> >me a snide grunt and stormed away.
>
> And you let her get away with that? I make 'em put it back.
>
> Stef

Personally I found the original post rather hard to stay with. I kept
wondering whether this guys reaction would have been the same if it had
been a Monica Brandt look-a-like that stepped in. Seems he wasted far
to much energy on how ugly she was for that not to contribute to his
level of anxiety over the whole situation. Big Mac

Kelly McMillan

Jul 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/16/97

Robert Spector wrote:

> > My solution for keeping the machine I am working on "reserved" while I
> > go to the
> > water fountain is to leave my grips or straps on it.
>

> As Steve just e-mailed me and said, in his gym people will actually move
> his stuff including belt, bag, even NOTES.
>

> That I can't understand.
>
> > just my opinion,
>
> I agree with it. Let's form an action coalition because this is a
> recurring problem that should be DESTROYED ONCE AND FOR FUGGIN' ALL!!!!!
>
> Rrrrrr!!!!!
>
> Okay....sorry, too much caffeine today.
>
> Rob

This responsibility (enforcement) is the solely up to the management.
In my club you would rarely ever see weights left un racked. Two
reasons. 1) I had employees responsible for putting any they found away
as well as reminding members to rack their own weights when finished,
and 2) the menebers came to expect it of themselves and others and they
tended to police each other. The very worst place I have ever trained
for people leaving the weights out is a country club I belong to. It is
so bad it seems that people have actually been instructed to leave them
on the machines when they are done. And since there were weights on the
leg press for example when a person starts to use it, he is definitely
not going to put his/hers away when finished.
I've heard many times in mfw that it's the "big" guys that leave their
weights out, but I have found that not to be the case. Under most
circumstances a "big" guy has been around enough serious gyms to know
right from wrong and contrary to a lot of rumors being big doesn't make
you an asshole. Big Mac

Ramakrishnan Balasubramanian

Jul 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/16/97

William Greene wrote:

> > "Feminism was created to give unattractive females access to
> > mainstream society." - "Feminazis"
> > -Rush Limbaugh :-)
>

> Ah, very good. Quoting a pompous, fat-ass windbag about attractiveness and
> unattractiveness.

Ahh, so there _are_ people who have this opinion. After 5 years in the
mid-west, I thought all Americans were Rush Limbaugh fans. Fantastic

Rama.

Lyndsey D. Ferguson

Jul 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/16/97

: Yea this is a problem at my gym too. When I see a machine that I want

: to use that has weights on it with no one around I have wonder how
: long I have to watch the machine sit idle before I decide that the
: last idiot who used it (and didn't unload it) isn't coming back.

If I see a machine thats not in use and still has weight on it, I do a
quick scan of the place and if it looks like no one is coming back (this
takes 3 seconds) I'll ask some one nearby if anyone is using it and that
usually clears things up.

: And as long as I'm ranting, fuckheads who can't deal with putting the

: right plates in on the right pegs on the hammer strength machines.
: Here's a clue, the 10's and the 25's don't go together. There are
: pegs for each plate size, duh!

: What the fuck is up with this - these meatheads cant even match the
: weight in the their hand with the ones on the pegs. A god-damn 4 year
: old could do a better job. Bite me.

Yah whats with those dimwits? Man that angers me, sometimes I'll be
looking all over for the last plate of a weight and its hidden behind some
other plates. Or worse, some people are so stupid that they'll put the
larger plates on a peg so that they cover the smaller plates on the next
peg over. So you have to remove all of the big plates to get at the
smaller one.
--
- Lyndsey
Lyndsey Darryl Ferguson phone:(306) 966 - 5439

Steve Kidwell

Jul 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/16/97

On 16 Jul 1997 14:58:37 GMT, "William Greene"
<william...@msfc.nasa.gov> wrote:

>Steve Kidwell <the...@indiana.net> wrote

>> "Feminism was created to give unattractive females access to
>> mainstream society." - "Feminazis"
>> -Rush Limbaugh :-)
>
>Ah, very good. Quoting a pompous, fat-ass windbag about attractiveness and
>unattractiveness.

He may be a pompous, fat-ass windbag, but do you disagree with his
remarks about feminism? It's pretty damn accurate if you ask me.
Also, when you have as much money as Rush does, women don't really
care what you say or look like!

Neal Glover

Jul 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/16/97

Steve Kidwell <the...@indiana.net> wrote ...

> a) If you saw me working out and the amount of weight on the

> leg press you'd know how obvious it would be. b) I never leave
> the machine loaded with weights and I wasn't gone long

Gotta consider those who didn't see you, or don't watch you, working out.
All they see is an empty machine. Looking around and asking someone close
by is one thing, waiting > 30 seconds when no-one is around is another.
You know how long 30+ seconds is when you're waiting for someone to show
up!!

Besides that, if I was in the gym for a full body workout I could spend as
much time waiting on empty machines (just to be sure they weren't in use)
as I could working out.

> It's just plain courteous not to stand around and wait for
> someone to finish a set and then start unloading the machine
> without asking them if they are finished.

That's true. If someone stands by waiting they should ask if you're done
when you start to walk away. Likewise, you could be courteous enough to
say what you're doing and tell them that you'll be right back.

> An appropriate action for the young lady would
> have been to ask to work in as I was finishing the set.

Certainly. But if I remember correctly, you did neglect to mention that
she was waiting while you used the machine. That shifts much more of the
responsibility to her than your original post suggested.

William Greene

Jul 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/16/97

k...@world.std.com

Jul 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/16/97

Why not carry a water bottle? This way one can stand guard
at one's machine without any of unattractive people working
in?

Kenneth Busch
k...@world.std.com
Symmetry is the exception in nature.

Josh and Chip

Jul 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/16/97

Steve Kidwell wrote:

> Don't you get sick of the 'One Month a Year' lifters who permeate the
> gym? It seems like these people's mission is just to annoy the shit
> out of you.
>
> I was doing leg presses the other day when this female heffer decides
> to screw up my workout. After pounding out a rigorous set I did my
> usual - head to the water fountain for a drink and some recuperation
> time. When I arrived back at the leg press I found the most
> disgusting female in the place unloading my weights!!!
>
> I politely interjected, "Excuse me, I'm still using that and I've got
> a few sets left. I'll be done shortly." The female sloth then
> replied, "But you weren't here." Getting a little irritated I
> replied, "Well, I went to get a drink!"
>
> Roseanne Barr's doppleganger, not realizing she had just committed the
> gym equivalent of farting in someone's face at the dinner table, gave
> me a snide grunt and stormed away.
>
> The moral to the story is: If you walk up to a weight loaded piece of
> equipment, ask if anyone is using it before you just take the machine
> over!!!
>
> Steve Kidwell, Natural Physique Systems
> http://www.indiana.net/~thekid/phys.htm

Use the 100 lb. plates. Most of the people who cause problems can't lift
them.

Graham Crackers

Jul 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/16/97

You leave the machine, it's mine. End of discussion. This aint third
grade, there are no "saves".

Steve Kidwell (the...@indiana.net) wrote:

--
"Mmm...my love machine is shooting blanks
I'm just a sucker for your teenage ass"

Kimberly Ann Weeden

Jul 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/16/97

In article <33cc2c53...@news.zippo.com>,
Steve Kidwell <the...@indiana.net> wrote:
>>Kim wrote...

>>Let's see. You left a machine to get water and an
>>undisclosed amount of "recuperation time". (Most advanced
>>body builders take, what, 3 minutes between sets?) You
>>then are offended that someone came and used the
>>machine without asking you. So, she was supposed to (a)
>>pick you out from all the other people in the gym as the
>>person who had just used the leg press, (b) know that you
>>weren't just another one of those assholes who leave
>>machines loaded, and (c) walk over to the water fountain just
>>to ask you if she could work in.
>
>a) If you saw me working out and the amount of weight on the leg press
>you'd know how obvious it would be. b) I never leave the machine
>loaded with weights and I wasn't gone long c) If she had walked over
>to the water fountain I may have choked to death while viewing her
>unspeakably horrid appearance.

a) I thought real lifters did squats rather than leg presses.
b) How's she supposed to know your personal workout habits?
c) Ahh, the truth of the matter. You're still working on learning
how to drink from a water fountain, and you're superficial and judgmental.

The AitG or MitG threads are usually about what assholes or morons
*other people* are in the gym.

>It's just plain courteous not to stand around and wait for someone to
>finish a set and then start unloading the machine without asking them

>if they are finished. An appropriate action for the young lady would

>have been to ask to work in as I was finishing the set.

I agree completely. But in your original story, you didn't say that she
waited around for you to leave. You just said that you left and when
you came back, some disgustingly hideous female (who wasn't necessarily
there before you left) was unloading your machine. There's a big difference.

Kim

Oh, BTW, I'm not a feminist. Didn't we go through this six months
ago? Besides, I don't really see that my political preferences
or my gender have any bearing on my comments.

Terra Cholfin

Jul 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/16/97

In article <33cbbae1...@news.zippo.com>, the...@indiana.net (Steve
Kidwell) wrote:

> The moral to the story is: If you walk up to a weight loaded piece of
> equipment, ask if anyone is using it before you just take the machine
> over!!!

I do ask first, but otherwise I can't agree with you. It really
pisses *me* off when people pile on the weight (in my case, it's
usually the squat rack) and then wander off goodness knows where for
five or ten minutes at a time. If the person isn't around so I can ask
if they'd mind my working in, I'm stuck waiting, and as far as I'm
concerned they're *hogging* the equipment. This is serious assholery if
the facilities in question are particularly limited.

I'd suggest you buy yourself a water bottle and watch some Mr. Rogers
til you get the hang of this "sharing" concept.

--
If replying by email, please remove the "no-spams" from the address.

Theresa M. "Terra" Cholfin
MIT Room 8-109, Cambridge, MA 02139
te...@mit.edu
http://web.mit.edu/terra/www/

tcangel

Jul 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/16/97
to rspe...@*spamprotect*on-it.net

Robert Spector wrote:

> You know, you are ABSOLUTELY RIGHT. Suppose like at the gym I was at
> (Popeye's) EVERYBODY knew that when you are finished, it is a RULE to
> take off ALL the plates. This would solve all the problems, right?

I work out at Gold's and there is a big sign which says "Anyone who
dosen't
put weights away will be asked to leave." I haven't seen them enforce
this
rule once! And beleive me they had many opportunities to.

> As Steve just e-mailed me and said, in his gym people will actually move
> his stuff including belt, bag, even NOTES.
>
> That I can't understand.

That makes two of us.

> I agree with it. Let's form an action coalition because this is a
> recurring problem that should be DESTROYED ONCE AND FOR FUGGIN' ALL!!!!!
>
> Rrrrrr!!!!!
>
> Okay....sorry, too much caffeine today.

Either that or to much Ripped Fuel!

peace,
tc

Steve Kidwell

Jul 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/16/97

On Wed, 16 Jul 1997 22:42:02 GMT, be...@mindspring.com.spam (RBeare)
wrote:

>Robert Spector <rspe...@on-it.net> said:
>

>>> You then are offended that someone came and used the
>>> machine without asking you. So, she was supposed to (a)
>>> pick you out from all the other people in the gym as the
>>> person who had just used the leg press, (b) know that you
>>> weren't just another one of those assholes who leave
>>> machines loaded, and (c) walk over to the water fountain just
>>> to ask you if she could work in.
>>

>>I have to agree.
>
>I have to disagree. If she asked those around her if the machine was in use,
>then she is free of guilt. If she did not, then she is guilty as charged. If
>you're pretty big, or if you workout hard, people around you notice. If you are
>busting your ass on whatever piece of equipment, and the gym isn't barren,
>SOMEONE will know you're there. Someone always does, and you simply ask, hey,
>is this being used? I NEVER, I repeat NEVER use a piece of equipment unless I
>know it isn't taken. I also begin checking out the equipment whenver I'm
>getting ready to use it. If I'm doing squats next, I check the squat rack ahead
>of time so I know who is occupying it.
>

>and on the 7th day, the Lord Squatted and had a tuna shake.
>
>RBeare

RBeare, You get an A+ for the gym etiquette course. Your description
is exactly how it should be followed to the letter. *ALL* experienced
and considerate (That is really the key) lifters do exactly what you
have stated.

Common sense is amazing isn't it? Not everyone has it.

*"If liberals can't beat you, if they're losing on the issues, they do *
* one of two things. They either call you a bigot or a racist. Or they *
* sue you." *
* -J.C. Watts *

Allen Ayres

Jul 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/16/97

Anthony Searle wrote in article <5qilf1$nb9$1...@sunburst.ccs.yorku.ca>...

>A REAL asshole in the gym story comes from my first workout in the USA.
>
>On a short trip, I needed a place to workout, the first few gyms wouldn't
accomodate a
>"week-pass" but I found an "upscale" gym that was a little "chromy" but
would suffice, they
>even gave me a week for free. So I changed, worked out and came back to my
locker, where
>someone had pried my lock open and stolen my wallet.
>
>Shit, if Reagan/Bush weren't so set on driving a huge gap between the rich
and the poor, this
>surely wouldn't of happened.

Your logic doesn't make a whole lot of sense.... You are in an "upscale" gym
where only people with money can afford to go and someone steals your
wallet...hmmmmm... and reagan/bush had something to do about it... methinks
you are the whiner, with the most noticeable "gap" between your ears...
The culprit was probably gym management getting the money for your "free"
workouts...8^)
--
Allen Ayres

- http://members.aol.com/texasmusl

- "Pound for pound, the amoeba is the most vicious animal on earth."

- "Imagine a world without hypothetical situations"

Fish

Jul 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/16/97

I disagree! Why should I take all the weights off when the next guy will
have to put them back on? Ok if I have 10 45 lb plates on that a lot.
But why can't i leave one set on? The next person will just have to put
them back on, right??

Allen Ayres

Jul 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/16/97

Mike Lane wrote in article <33cd683a...@news.zippo.com>...

>the...@indiana.net (Steve Kidwell) wrote:
>

>>>Take a piss!? Take your piss before or after you use the machine, not
>>>when someone else might want it.
>>

>>You see there is a problem with that Neal. I work the *piss* out of
>>my legs!!! Sometimes I have to go before completing all my sets on an
>>exercise. :-)

Let me get this straight too... you cannot wait to finish an exercise before
you have to go to the bathroom? Sounds like you are taking waaaayyy too long
on a piece of machinery. Also, if you have a water bottle, why are you
leaving the machinery to stroll over to the water fountain?
As a natural trainer Steve, you shouldn't be taking that long to finish...
You get an "F" in gym etiquette. :-)
I use the bathroom before starting, therefore I am able to concentrate on
the work at hand... also, I finish an exercise before I leave the area where
the equipment is located - especially if the gym is busy at that moment.

Steve Kidwell

Jul 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/16/97

On 16 Jul 1997 13:47:37 GMT, "Neal Glover"
<nealg...@uky.campus.mci.net> wrote:

>Steve Kidwell <the...@indiana.net> wrote ...

>> OK Mike. You get an 'F' for the Gym Etiquette course. Considering
>> a machine reserved and having time to get a drink or take a piss
>> without some jagoff unloading your weights are entirely different.
>

>Take a piss!? Take your piss before or after you use the machine, not
>when someone else might want it.

You see there is a problem with that Neal. I work the *piss* out of
my legs!!! Sometimes I have to go before completing all my sets on an

exercise. :-) I am now realizing another benefit of having a lifting
partner. He can guard the machine while you leave for a moment! My
current gym is entirely too crowded also. I train at a University and
they close 3 on campus clubs during the Summer and consolidate
everyone left into a small one. Then these Summer camp freaks come in
and infiltrate the place!

>Sorry, but if you leave the room for a piss (or anything else) you risk
>losing the machine. Of course, that doesn't *necessarily* include losing
>it to vultures waiting for the machine, since they see where you're
>heading. But if someone just walked in, or just finished on another
>machine and decided to head that way, you're SOL. The machine is fair game
>to them.
>
>If you want to keep your machines safe while ya pee, be courteous yourself
>and mark it as yours by leaving a towel or waterbottle on it. Either that
>or take your piss behind it, then you can be sure no one will want it :-).

I can't believe the water bottle thing works where you guys lift.
That cracks me up. Where I train the damn employees would pick it up
and put it behind the desk if they saw it laying around.

>Neal

Steve Kidwell

Jul 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/16/97

On 16 Jul 1997 13:47:44 GMT, "Neal Glover"
<nealg...@uky.campus.mci.net> wrote:

>Steve Kidwell <the...@indiana.net> wrote ...
>

>> a) If you saw me working out and the amount of weight on the
>> leg press you'd know how obvious it would be. b) I never leave
>> the machine loaded with weights and I wasn't gone long
>

>Gotta consider those who didn't see you, or don't watch you, working out.
>All they see is an empty machine. Looking around and asking someone close
>by is one thing, waiting > 30 seconds when no-one is around is another.
>You know how long 30+ seconds is when you're waiting for someone to show
>up!!
>
>Besides that, if I was in the gym for a full body workout I could spend as
>much time waiting on empty machines (just to be sure they weren't in use)
>as I could working out.
>

>> It's just plain courteous not to stand around and wait for
>> someone to finish a set and then start unloading the machine
>> without asking them if they are finished.
>

>That's true. If someone stands by waiting they should ask if you're done
>when you start to walk away. Likewise, you could be courteous enough to
>say what you're doing and tell them that you'll be right back.
>

>> An appropriate action for the young lady would
>> have been to ask to work in as I was finishing the set.
>

>Certainly. But if I remember correctly, you did neglect to mention that
>she was waiting while you used the machine. That shifts much more of the
>responsibility to her than your original post suggested.
>
>Neal

Neal,

I didn't see her. I don't know how I missed her, but I did. She must
have been lying in ambush behind a couple of the Life Cycles. Her
response was still inappropriate. I don't fault her so much for
unloading the press as I do being rude when I let her know I was still
using it.

Tim Fogarty

Jul 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/16/97

Ramakrishnan Balasubramanian (rbal...@ecn.purdue.edu) wrote:

> Ahh, so there _are_ people who have this opinion. After 5 years in the
> mid-west, I thought all Americans were Rush Limbaugh fans. Fantastic

Indiana is not equivalent to the USA

--
Tim Fogarty (fog...@netcom.com)
http://musclememory.com/fogarty

Jeff Amason

Jul 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/16/97

Kimberly Ann Weeden wrote:

[...]

> a) I thought real lifters did squats rather than leg presses.

REAL lifters do both and then drink a TUNA SHAKE, BABY!!! HELL YEAH!!!

[...]
--
_=====__O__=====_
=====V(_)V=====

Steve Johnston

Jul 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/16/97

In article <33cc2c53...@news.zippo.com>, the...@indiana.net (Steve Kidwell) writes:
>On 15 Jul 1997 17:20:23 -0700, wee...@leland.Stanford.EDU (Kimberly
>Ann Weeden) wrote:
>
>>In article <33cbbae1...@news.zippo.com>,

>>Steve Kidwell <the...@indiana.net> wrote:
>>>
>>>I was doing leg presses the other day when this female heffer decides
>>>to screw up my workout. After pounding out a rigorous set I did my
>>>usual - head to the water fountain for a drink and some recuperation
>>>time. When I arrived back at the leg press I found the most
>>>disgusting female in the place unloading my weights!!!
>>>
>>>I politely interjected, "Excuse me, I'm still using that and I've got
>>>a few sets left. I'll be done shortly." The female sloth then
>>>replied, "But you weren't here." Getting a little irritated I
>>>replied, "Well, I went to get a drink!"
>>>

>Kim,

>It's just plain courteous not to stand around and wait for someone to
>finish a set

Is the story changing? Originally it was

"When I arrived back at the leg press I found the most
disgusting female in the place unloading my weights!!!"

There was no mention of her standing around waiting for you to finish
your set -- we were lead to believe that she appeared while you were off
to the water fountain.

_That's_ why people are ganging up against you -- you left that part
out originally!

> [snip] You must be a
>feminist Kim.
>

>"Feminism was created to give unattractive females access to
>mainstream society." - "Feminazis"
>-Rush Limbaugh :-)

Please leave the ad hominem attacks in "alt.misc.ad-hominem". ;-)
(Yes, I caught the smiley at the bottom)

Actually I may see a financial opportunity here -- selling "occupied -- between sets"
signs to hang on equipment in the gym!

--
There was a man who entered a local paper's pun contest.
He sent in ten different puns, in the hope that at least one

johnston@Eng (Steve Johnston)

Anne Elizabeth Lincoln

Jul 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/16/97

Thomas Cangelosi (ca...@worldnet.att.net) wrote:

: My solution for keeping the machine I am working on "reserved" while I
: go to the
: water fountain is to leave my grips or straps on it.

agreed. i leave my towel or my water bottle on the bench or right next
to the weights i'm using to indicate i'm coming back. never had anyone
'steal' anything before.

anne

--
Anne E. Lincoln aeli...@unity.ncsu.edu mszt...@aol.com
http://www4.ncsu.edu/unity/users/a/aelincol/www/cattbabe.html

These things take time.
Crush his soul...impale him upon his own ego.
-Aeon Flux

RBeare

Jul 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/16/97

Robert Spector <rspe...@on-it.net> said:

>What amuses me most about this recurring thread is the assumption that
>everyone on m.f.w. is not one of these "idiots".
>
>Yes, I know the comeback, "Yeah, well you are!".
>
>I'm sorry you feel that way.

>Kimberly Ann Weeden wrote:
>>
>> In article <33cbbae1...@news.zippo.com>,
>> Steve Kidwell <the...@indiana.net> wrote:
>> >
>> >I was doing leg presses the other day when this female heffer decides
>> >to screw up my workout.
>

>I'm sorry Steve, but I gotta disagree with you on this one.
>
>First, you think this woman PURPOSELY decided to "screw up" your
>workout?
I think he was being facetious.

>> > After pounding out a rigorous set I did my
>> >usual - head to the water fountain for a drink and some recuperation
>> >time.
>

>This is not difficult. Did you leave ANYTHING on the leg press to
>indicate you were using it?
yeah, this is another thing I do to avoid annoyance. I tend to leave my chalk
and belt laying on whatever piece of equipment I'm using. If I have a nice
sweaty rag, I use that as well to "mark my territory". I used to just lift a
leg and . . . well, that didn't go over too well.

>Cuz let me tell you something that pisses ME off - idiots in MY gym who
>just leave plates on, then don't come back. First, I feel really sorry
>for that poor woman at the end of the night (I've even helped her out I
>feel so bad for her sometimes) who has to put back all those plates.

Agreed.

>If you are still using the machine (which is never a problem for me,
>since I do only one set. More evidence on how the world would be a
>better place if there were more HITers), then LEAVE your belt, or towel
>or whatever on the machine.
Oh boy, here we go again . . .

>>> When I arrived back at the leg press I found the most
>> >disgusting female in the place unloading my weights!!!
>

>The horror. What if she was a gorgeous babe?

He'd let her work in. He's not stupid, is he (Steve, you married?)

snip

>> You then are offended that someone came and used the
>> machine without asking you. So, she was supposed to (a)
>> pick you out from all the other people in the gym as the
>> person who had just used the leg press, (b) know that you
>> weren't just another one of those assholes who leave
>> machines loaded, and (c) walk over to the water fountain just
>> to ask you if she could work in.
>
>I have to agree.

I have to disagree. If she asked those around her if the machine was in use,
then she is free of guilt. If she did not, then she is guilty as charged. If
you're pretty big, or if you workout hard, people around you notice. If you are
busting your ass on whatever piece of equipment, and the gym isn't barren,
SOMEONE will know you're there. Someone always does, and you simply ask, hey,
is this being used? I NEVER, I repeat NEVER use a piece of equipment unless I
know it isn't taken. I also begin checking out the equipment whenver I'm
getting ready to use it. If I'm doing squats next, I check the squat rack ahead
of time so I know who is occupying it.

and on the 7th day, the Lord Squatted and had a tuna shake.

RBeare

for replies via email, please remove the spam from my address

RBeare

Jul 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/16/97

ml...@suffolk.lib.ny.us (Mike Lane) said:

>the...@indiana.net (Steve Kidwell) wrote:
>

>>The moral to the story is: If you walk up to a weight loaded piece of
>>equipment, ask if anyone is using it before you just take the machine
>>over!!!
>>

>>Steve Kidwell, Natural Physique Systems
>>http://www.indiana.net/~thekid/phys.htm
>

>I generally stand by the machine for about 7-10 seconds before I start
>unloading it. If your gone longer then that or don't come a runnin
>when you see someone hovering by the machine you really have no right
>to consider it "reserved".
>
>MikL
yeah, and I ask everyone in sight, "hey, is someone using this. Of course, if
Steve would've been doing squats, instead of leg presses, this wouldn't have
happened . . .

someone would've started doing curls in the squat rack instead (different breed
of buffoon)

Steve Kidwell

Jul 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/16/97

On 16 Jul 1997 18:19:33 GMT, gagr...@ouray.cudenver.edu (Graham
Crackers) wrote:

>You leave the machine, it's mine. End of discussion. This aint third
>grade, there are no "saves".

Crackers, if anyone said this to me in the gym I would definitely
start beating the piss out of them. At the very least I would pick
them up and remove them from my path. I don't fight or get violent
basically...ever, but if I ever encounter a response like that I'm
sure I would blow up! If it were a female, I would just kindly get
her out of the way and go about my business.

>Steve Kidwell (the...@indiana.net) wrote:
>
>: Don't you get sick of the 'One Month a Year' lifters who permeate the
>: gym? It seems like these people's mission is just to annoy the shit
>: out of you.
>

>: I was doing leg presses the other day when this female heffer decides
>: to screw up my workout. After pounding out a rigorous set I did my

>: usual - head to the water fountain for a drink and some recuperation

>: time. When I arrived back at the leg press I found the most

>: disgusting female in the place unloading my weights!!!
>

>: I politely interjected, "Excuse me, I'm still using that and I've got

>: a few sets left. I'll be done shortly." The female sloth then
>: replied, "But you weren't here." Getting a little irritated I
>: replied, "Well, I went to get a drink!"

Steve Kidwell, Natural Physique Systems
http://www.indiana.net/~thekid/phys.htm

Clayton71

Jul 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/16/97

About only real lifters doing squats and not leg presses,Paul Dillet does
leg press instead of squats I geuss he is not a real lifter..........Just
had to throw my 2 cents in on that....
EITHER GO HEAVY OR GO HOME!!!!!!

RBeare

Jul 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/16/97

the...@indiana.net (Steve Kidwell) said:

>On 16 Jul 1997 18:19:33 GMT, gagr...@ouray.cudenver.edu (Graham
>Crackers) wrote:
>
>>You leave the machine, it's mine. End of discussion. This aint third
>>grade, there are no "saves".
>
>Crackers, if anyone said this to me in the gym I would definitely
>start beating the piss out of them. At the very least I would pick
>them up and remove them from my path. I don't fight or get violent
>basically...ever, but if I ever encounter a response like that I'm
>sure I would blow up! If it were a female, I would just kindly get
>her out of the way and go about my business.

yeah, what kind of shit is that? I suppose next time Crackers is benching, I'll
just walk up and start taking the plates off the bar in midrep.

SORRY DICKBRAIN!! NO SAVES!

Robert Spector

Jul 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/17/97

RBeare wrote:

> Robert Spector <rspe...@on-it.net> said:
>
> >What amuses me most about this recurring thread is the assumption that
> >everyone on m.f.w. is not one of these "idiots".

Looks like from the responses, it's pretty tough to say who is the
"idiot".

And who is the maaaaniac.

> >Kimberly Ann Weeden wrote:

> >This is not difficult. Did you leave ANYTHING on the leg press to
> >indicate you were using it?

> yeah, this is another thing I do to avoid annoyance. I tend to leave my chalk
> and belt laying on whatever piece of equipment I'm using.

That is good. Only problem for me is that I don't use a belt, or any
other lifting "gear" anymore. I like going "RAW" now. All I have is a
pen and workout card.

I have to mention this scene that kills me: guys who wear belts, gloves,
straps, chalk up, and use knee wraps. First, why do they wear belts for
EVERY exercise? I don't see the need for a belt AT ALL unless you are
going REALLY low reps (like training before a meet).

Who needs gloves? What, you worried about your hands not looking so
pretty?

Knee wraps are for a meet ONLY. Anything else is stupid and dangerous.
'Nuff said.

Straps are a crutch.

And chalk? Oh whatever. Gloves AND chalk? yeah, that makes alot of
sense.

Yeah, I know, why should *I* care what other people use, right? I
don't. I just find it amusing, don't you? Tell me you don't see people
wearing a superheavyweight powerlifting belt for Nautilus curls?

> If I have a nice
> sweaty rag, I use that as well to "mark my territory".

Blech. What is this, the jungle?

> I used to just lift a
> leg and . . . well, that didn't go over too well.

In most gyms. After everything I've seen, it wouldn't surprise me
though.

> >Cuz let me tell you something that pisses ME off - idiots in MY gym who
> >just leave plates on, then don't come back. First, I feel really sorry
> >for that poor woman at the end of the night (I've even helped her out I
> >feel so bad for her sometimes) who has to put back all those plates.
>
> Agreed.

Everyone agrees with this - so what do you DO about it?

> >If you are still using the machine (which is never a problem for me,
> >since I do only one set. More evidence on how the world would be a
> >better place if there were more HITers), then LEAVE your belt, or towel
> >or whatever on the machine.

> Oh boy, here we go again . . .

What what?

> >The horror. What if she was a gorgeous babe?
>
> He'd let her work in. He's not stupid, is he (Steve, you married?)

He could be gay. Not that there's anything wrong with that!

> >> You then are offended that someone came and used the
> >> machine without asking you. So, she was supposed to (a)
> >> pick you out from all the other people in the gym as the
> >> person who had just used the leg press, (b) know that you
> >> weren't just another one of those assholes who leave
> >> machines loaded, and (c) walk over to the water fountain just
> >> to ask you if she could work in.
> >
> >I have to agree.
>
> I have to disagree.

I have to disagree with your disagreement.

> If she asked those around her if the machine was in use,
> then she is free of guilt.

Agreed. But we are talking about a situation where WE weren't there.
How do we know if there was even anyone around?

> If she did not, then she is guilty as charged.

Appropriate punishment?

> If
> you're pretty big, or if you workout hard, people around you notice.

Yeah, but to me I could care less what the person LOOKS like. Big or
small, what does that matter when it comes to a piece of equipment?

EVERYONE is equal, no matter what size.

> If you are
> busting your ass on whatever piece of equipment, and the gym isn't barren,
> SOMEONE will know you're there.

You mean BETWEEN sets?

> Someone always does, and you simply ask, hey,
> is this being used?

In my gym the squat racks and leg press sleds are "away" from the other
parts. Most people are "toneys" and don't use this area.

And when I'm doing my set, do you think I'm looking to see who's using
what? I'm concentrating on what *I'm* doing. So if someone came up to
me, and said "Is someone using this", I would say, "I dunno, there was a
guy using it".

What else can I say? How should I know how many sets he's doing?

> I NEVER, I repeat NEVER use a piece of equipment unless I
> know it isn't taken.

I really don't think this is that hard to figure out. Quick process:

1. If the person is still hanging around the machine (or sitting in it),
then I ask
2. If they leave something like their belt on the machine, that's an
obvious sign.
3. Ask someone (if there is someone standing there doing nothing) if
it's being used
4. Quickly scan the gym to see if it's "obvious" someone is using it
5. If any of the above conditions are not met, it is free for use. Hey,
even if you ARE using a machine, there has to be a limit to the time you
get between sets. I'm sorry, but 5 minutes is unacceptable, especially
if the guy is doing multiple sets! Think about how much time you'd have
to wait.

Most people I meet (and funnily enough these are the huge guys) are
friendly enough to help me work in a set (since I'm only doing one
anyways). What's the big deal? I always help the next guy load or
unload the plates as well.

> I also begin checking out the equipment whenver I'm
> getting ready to use it. If I'm doing squats next, I check the squat rack ahead
> of time so I know who is occupying it.

Okay. And if Steve had squatted instead of using those stupid incline
leg press sleds (which will eventually likely hurt you) he would never
have had this problem, would he?

Stuart Swain - undergrad

Jul 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/17/97

Personally, if noone is using the machine I want first, I go stand by it
while I am stretching. If no one shows I'll start. If someone comes back
I'll gladly work in with them. During my rests between sets, I keep an
eye on the other equipment I want to use next - that way I can see if
someone is using it and I know to ask how long they'll be or if they
are finished when they are walking away from it. Simple... what's the
big problem??

--
Stuart Swain
Perth, Western Australia

Some want to be respected. I want to be feared.

RBeare

Jul 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/17/97

terra-...@no-spam.mit.edu (Terra Cholfin) said:

>In article <33cbbae1...@news.zippo.com>, the...@indiana.net (Steve

>Kidwell) wrote:
>
>> The moral to the story is: If you walk up to a weight loaded piece of
>> equipment, ask if anyone is using it before you just take the machine
>> over!!!
>

>I do ask first, but otherwise I can't agree with you. It really
>pisses *me* off when people pile on the weight (in my case, it's
>usually the squat rack) and then wander off goodness knows where for
>five or ten minutes at a time. If the person isn't around so I can ask
>if they'd mind my working in, I'm stuck waiting, and as far as I'm
>concerned they're *hogging* the equipment. This is serious assholery if
>the facilities in question are particularly limited.

Maybe I'm the only one that read this, but didn't he say that he was gone less
than a minute, as the water fountain was very close?

Steve Kidwell

Jul 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/17/97

On Thu, 17 Jul 1997 00:37:14 GMT, ml...@suffolk.lib.ny.us (Mike Lane)
wrote:

>the...@indiana.net (Steve Kidwell) wrote:
>

>>>Take a piss!? Take your piss before or after you use the machine, not
>>>when someone else might want it.
>>
>>You see there is a problem with that Neal. I work the *piss* out of
>>my legs!!! Sometimes I have to go before completing all my sets on an
>>exercise. :-) I am now realizing another benefit of having a lifting
>>partner. He can guard the machine while you leave for a moment! My
>>current gym is entirely too crowded also. I train at a University and
>>they close 3 on campus clubs during the Summer and consolidate
>>everyone left into a small one. Then these Summer camp freaks come in
>>and infiltrate the place!
>>

>Let me get this straight. You think "gym ettiquette" is someone not
>using the machine even though you have TOTALLY LEFT THE
>WORKOUT AREA!!
>
>Dude, that is expecting WAY too much leeway. I promise you I am
>right--just take my word for it. If someone walks over to the
>machine, looks around, and waits about 10 seconds they are doing all
>that is required to be a good gym citizen.
>
>MikeL

Mike,

I don't know who you are or how much experience you have in
bodybuilding or weight lifting in general, but I would bet dollars to
donuts it doesn't scratch the surface of where I've been and what I've
done. If you are talking about 10 seconds for a selectorized piece of
equipment you are right. If you are waiting 10 seconds for a bench
press, leg press, or squat rack..then you are an impatient, rude,
inconsiderate asshole.

BTW, you and all of the naysayers seem to be forgetting: This girl
did not want to work in or even ask. She simply expected me to move
on and not be allowed to finish my exercise even though she would have
been the only one on the leg press. Obviously you can see that she
was being rude. You have just taken an arguementative stance for some
unknown reason.

*"If liberals can't beat you, if they're losing on the issues, they do *
* one of two things. They either call you a bigot or a racist. Or they *
* sue you." *
* -J.C. Watts *

Steve Kidwell

Jul 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/17/97

On Thu, 17 Jul 1997 00:57:34 GMT, ml...@suffolk.lib.ny.us (Mike Lane)
wrote:

>the...@indiana.net (Steve Kidwell) wrote:
>

>Steve, I don't much care for the "get her out of the way" stuff. It
>implies violence against a woman for what is really a minor
>infraction. Almost any gym in the world would evict you and most
>systems of justice would convict you. (I don't think "she was hogging
>the machine with no regard for anyone your honor" would be a valid
>defense.)
>
>I hope you meant something else or are being less then serious.

OK, Mike is also a Gym Idiot. I knew a few were reading. There is no
hope for you Mike. Give up know.

>MikeL

Steve Kidwell

Jul 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/17/97

On Wed, 16 Jul 1997 22:31:23 -0500, "Allen Ayres"
<AllenAyres*nospam*@prodigy.net> wrote:

>Mike Lane wrote in article <33cd683a...@news.zippo.com>...

>>>You see there is a problem with that Neal. I work the *piss* out of
>>>my legs!!! Sometimes I have to go before completing all my sets on an
>>>exercise. :-)
>

>Let me get this straight too... you cannot wait to finish an exercise before
>you have to go to the bathroom? Sounds like you are taking waaaayyy too long
>on a piece of machinery. Also, if you have a water bottle, why are you
>leaving the machinery to stroll over to the water fountain?
>As a natural trainer Steve, you shouldn't be taking that long to finish...
>You get an "F" in gym etiquette. :-)

I went and looked at your picture Allen. If I keep working hard maybe
I can get as big and shredded as you someday. Well...just maybe.
I'll take your advice for what it's worth - '0'

>I use the bathroom before starting, therefore I am able to concentrate on
>the work at hand... also, I finish an exercise before I leave the area where
>the equipment is located - especially if the gym is busy at that moment.
>
>--
>Allen Ayres
>
>- http://members.aol.com/texasmusl
>
>- "Pound for pound, the amoeba is the most vicious animal on earth."
>
>- "Imagine a world without hypothetical situations"

RBeare

Jul 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/17/97

Robert Spector <rspe...@on-it.net> said:

>RBeare wrote:

>> yeah, this is another thing I do to avoid annoyance. I tend to leave my chalk
>> and belt laying on whatever piece of equipment I'm using.
>
>That is good. Only problem for me is that I don't use a belt, or any
>other lifting "gear" anymore. I like going "RAW" now. All I have is a
>pen and workout card.
>
>I have to mention this scene that kills me: guys who wear belts, gloves,
>straps, chalk up, and use knee wraps. First, why do they wear belts for
>EVERY exercise? I don't see the need for a belt AT ALL unless you are
>going REALLY low reps (like training before a meet).

What's wrong with chalk? helps the grip. I use it all the time, damn near
every exercise, so I don't have to use gloves.

>Who needs gloves? What, you worried about your hands not looking so
>pretty?

agreed, but this thread was beaten a short while ago.

>Knee wraps are for a meet ONLY. Anything else is stupid and dangerous.
>'Nuff said.

agreed again.
>Straps are a crutch.
sometimes.

>And chalk? Oh whatever.
Your hands don't sweat?

>Gloves AND chalk? yeah, that makes alot of
>sense.
>
>Yeah, I know, why should *I* care what other people use, right? I
>don't. I just find it amusing, don't you?

I find it amusing when people tighten up their belts for pec decs or cable
crossovers. I don't see anything amusing about using a belt or chalk.

>> If I have a nice
>> sweaty rag, I use that as well to "mark my territory".
>
>Blech. What is this, the jungle?

What is it? A friggin' surgical room? Would you prefer I don't use the rag to
wipe my slime from the equipment?

>> I used to just lift a
>> leg and . . . well, that didn't go over too well.
>
>In most gyms. After everything I've seen, it wouldn't surprise me
>though.

>> >If you are still using the machine (which is never a problem for me,
>> >since I do only one set. More evidence on how the world would be a
>> >better place if there were more HITers), then LEAVE your belt, or towel
>> >or whatever on the machine.
>
>> Oh boy, here we go again . . .
>
>What what?

The HIT thing.

snip

>> >I have to agree.
>>
>> I have to disagree.
>
>I have to disagree with your disagreement.

I am duty bound to disagree with you disagreeing about my disagreement.

>> If she asked those around her if the machine was in use,
>> then she is free of guilt.
>
>Agreed. But we are talking about a situation where WE weren't there.
>How do we know if there was even anyone around?

We don't. If the two of them were the only ones around, then chances are good
she would've noticed that he was the only other one around, and chances would be
good that some ghost didn't put the weight there, so she _may_ be led to believe
that Steve was using it, and that she should go ask.

>> If she did not, then she is guilty as charged.
>
>Appropriate punishment?

Force her to put the weight back on. If I "unlawfully" unload weight, I put it
back on.

>> If you're pretty big, or if you workout hard, people around you notice.
>
>Yeah, but to me I could care less what the person LOOKS like. Big or
>small, what does that matter when it comes to a piece of equipment?

It doesn't matter, except that she couldn't have been SOO blind as to not
realize that someone was using it. I'm going on the fact that he said the water
fountain was close, and he wasn't gone for long. Also, I mentioned how hard he
works out. I am assuming he trains hard. I do, and even those who are much
larger notice, it seems.

>EVERYONE is equal, no matter what size.

Uh, yeah. So?

>> If you are
>> busting your ass on whatever piece of equipment, and the gym isn't barren,
>> SOMEONE will know you're there.
>
>You mean BETWEEN sets?

Yes. You don't notice if someone is using equipment? I personally keep my eyes
on the next piece of equipment I'm going to use. If I see someone using, say
the dumbbell bench I want to use next, i'll go up to him/her during my previous
exercise and ask him/her when they'll be done, so I know what the story is.

>> Someone always does, and you simply ask, hey,
>> is this being used?
>
>In my gym the squat racks and leg press sleds are "away" from the other
>parts. Most people are "toneys" and don't use this area.
>
>And when I'm doing my set, do you think I'm looking to see who's using
>what?

Hope not, but that won't stop you from looking _between_ sets.

>What else can I say? How should I know how many sets he's doing?

don't need to know how many sets he does, just if he's done or not.

>> I NEVER, I repeat NEVER use a piece of equipment unless I
>> know it isn't taken.
>
>I really don't think this is that hard to figure out. Quick process:
>
>1. If the person is still hanging around the machine (or sitting in it),
>then I ask
>2. If they leave something like their belt on the machine, that's an
>obvious sign.
>3. Ask someone (if there is someone standing there doing nothing) if
>it's being used
>4. Quickly scan the gym to see if it's "obvious" someone is using it

yeah, and apparently, she did none of the above.

>5. If any of the above conditions are not met, it is free for use.

If one of the above conditions is met, then the equipment is NOT free.

>Hey, even if you ARE using a machine, there has to be a limit to the time you
>get between sets. I'm sorry, but 5 minutes is unacceptable, especially
>if the guy is doing multiple sets! Think about how much time you'd have
>to wait.

Sure, that's why I never turn someone down if they ask to work in. Payment is
received in the form of a spot.

>Most people I meet (and funnily enough these are the huge guys) are
>friendly enough to help me work in a set (since I'm only doing one
>anyways). What's the big deal? I always help the next guy load or
>unload the plates as well.
>
>> I also begin checking out the equipment whenver I'm
>> getting ready to use it. If I'm doing squats next, I check the squat rack ahead
>> of time so I know who is occupying it.
>
>Okay. And if Steve had squatted instead of using those stupid incline
>leg press sleds (which will eventually likely hurt you) he would never
>have had this problem, would he?

Well, that's conjecture, but I am partial to squats . . .

Steve Kidwell

Jul 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/17/97

On Wed, 16 Jul 1997 10:23:12 +0100, terra-...@no-spam.mit.edu
(Terra Cholfin) wrote:

>In article <33cbbae1...@news.zippo.com>, the...@indiana.net (Steve
>Kidwell) wrote:
>
>> The moral to the story is: If you walk up to a weight loaded piece of
>> equipment, ask if anyone is using it before you just take the machine
>> over!!!
>
>I do ask first, but otherwise I can't agree with you. It really
>pisses *me* off when people pile on the weight (in my case, it's
>usually the squat rack) and then wander off goodness knows where for
>five or ten minutes at a time. If the person isn't around so I can ask
>if they'd mind my working in, I'm stuck waiting, and as far as I'm
>concerned they're *hogging* the equipment. This is serious assholery if
>the facilities in question are particularly limited.
>

>I'd suggest you buy yourself a water bottle and watch some Mr. Rogers
>til you get the hang of this "sharing" concept.

Why do people post without even reading the entire thread? If Terra
had she would realize the "sharing" concept was a problem the young
lady who wanted to work in had not me. I could have gave a shit if
she wanted to work in with me. I just wasn't going to quit doing the
exercise because I happened to need a drink after a grueling set.

>--
>If replying by email, please remove the "no-spams" from the address.
>
>Theresa M. "Terra" Cholfin

Terra - "Feminazi for Hire"

Graham Crackers

Jul 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/17/97

: <william...@msfc.nasa.gov> wrote:
: >> "Feminism was created to give unattractive females access to

: >> mainstream society." - "Feminazis"
: >> -Rush Limbaugh :-)
: >
: >Ah, very good. Quoting a pompous, fat-ass windbag about attractiveness and
: >unattractiveness.

: He may be a pompous, fat-ass windbag, but do you disagree with his
: remarks about feminism? It's pretty damn accurate if you ask me.
: Also, when you have as much money as Rush does, women don't really
: care what you say or look like!

Publicly quoting Rush Limbaugh is the equivalent of publicly walking
around with shit stains in your pants. Even if someone was actually
stupid enough to agree with Rush Limbaugh, they would have to be even
dumber to announce so publicly...that is unless they wanted everyone to
know just how stupid they are. :)

Steve Kidwell

Jul 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/17/97

On 16 Jul 1997 11:58:01 -0700, wee...@leland.Stanford.EDU (Kimberly
Ann Weeden) wrote:

>a) I thought real lifters did squats rather than leg presses.

>b) How's she supposed to know your personal workout habits?
>c) Ahh, the truth of the matter. You're still working on learning
>how to drink from a water fountain, and you're superficial and judgmental.

OK, Kim's a Gym Idiot.

>Kim

RBeare

Jul 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/17/97

ssw...@rand.ecel.uwa.edu.au (Stuart Swain - undergrad) said:

>Personally, if noone is using the machine I want first, I go stand by it
>while I am stretching. If no one shows I'll start. If someone comes back
>I'll gladly work in with them. During my rests between sets, I keep an
>eye on the other equipment I want to use next - that way I can see if
>someone is using it and I know to ask how long they'll be or if they
>are finished when they are walking away from it. Simple... what's the
>big problem??

exactly, it seems so simple, doesn't it? Wonder why it isn't.

>Stuart Swain
>Perth, Western Australia
>
>Some want to be respected. I want to be feared.

RGT

Jul 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/17/97

>>Personally, if noone is using the machine I want first, I go stand by it
>>while I am stretching. If no one shows I'll start. If someone comes back
>>I'll gladly work in with them. During my rests between sets, I keep an
>>eye on the other equipment I want to use next - that way I can see if
>>someone is using it and I know to ask how long they'll be or if they
>>are finished when they are walking away from it. Simple... what's the
>>big problem??

The other day I was on the high row machine and a woman walked up and
started yelling because she hadn't got to her third set and was mad at
me for pulling her weights off and adding more weight. As she kept
yelling at me, I finished my set then explained to her that I had
finished my 3rd set which came after my 2nd and 1st which had 30
second stops between not to mention that my partner had also done his
3 sets. She then stormed off and the other patrons started clapping.
It was quite funny.

Russ
To reply via e-mail, remove *spamsucks* from e-mail address...I hate unwanted spam

Anthony Searle

Jul 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/17/97

[...]
: --

You think someone who gets robbed is whiny? Ok, that's your opinion.

Actually it was probably some poor gym employee, hurt by substandard
school system, and stuck with a four dollar an hour job, surrounded by
fairly wealthy folks and looking for quick money.

Interesting aside: I went back to the gym, and found out that the next
day a cop had his lock pried off and his badge, wallet and gun stolen.
No one is safe.

Toni

Krista Scott

Jul 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/17/97

Mike Lane <ml...@suffolk.lib.ny.us> wrote in article
<33cd683a...@news.zippo.com>...

> Dude, that is expecting WAY too much leeway. I promise you I am
> right--just take my word for it. If someone walks over to the
> machine, looks around, and waits about 10 seconds they are doing all
> that is required to be a good gym citizen.

Man, this thread is making me totally paranoid. Last night I lurked around
the (clearly empty) squat rack for at least five minutes just coz some
dimwit had left plates on the bar. I kept waiting for some crazed guy to
come running and start screaming at me for being an ugly equipment hog. I
even started asking passing people who clearly had no idea, "Hey, d'ya
think this is taken?"

Krista

RBeare

Jul 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/17/97

tsho...@aol.com (TShock22) said:

>No, Paul isn't a real lifter--he looks too much like Frankenstein to be a
>real person. All kidding aside, Vince Taylor doesn't squat either. Sorry
>I can't make this reccomendation to any other aspiring bodybuilders,
>though.
>
>tyler

vince Taylor and Paul Dillet are genetic freaks with chemical enhancement, who
develop muscles without having to break a sweat. Both are pretty well known for
their less-than intense workouts. don't compare them to the regular population.

Adam Fahy

Jul 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/17/97

Clayton71 (clay...@aol.com) wrote:
: About only real lifters doing squats and not leg presses,Paul Dillet does
: leg press instead of squats I geuss he is not a real lifter..........Just
: had to throw my 2 cents in on that....

Anyone who does full squats then moves to doing leg presses will tell you
that the LP is a pansy exercise.

--
"It's all in the Bible, son; it's the prankster's Bible."
-Homer Simpson

Adam Fahy:
af...@oitunix.oit.umass.edu Web site: [under construction]

TShock22

Jul 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/17/97

clay...@aol.com (Clayton71) wrote:

>About only real lifters doing squats and not leg presses,Paul Dillet does
>leg press instead of squats I geuss he is not a real lifter..........Just
>had to throw my 2 cents in on that....

Kimberly Ann Weeden

Jul 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/17/97

In article <33d36dae...@news.mindspring.com>,
RBeare <be...@mindspring.com.spam> wrote:
>c'mon Kim, that's pretty bad. This guy was like adding just about every asshole
>trait into one total package.

Really? :)

Read my story again, in the context of the thread.
Hint: Steve figured it out.

Kim

Jeff Amason

Jul 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/17/97

Christopher L Connell wrote:

> this is male gym machismo in action... leaving the machine weighted
> behind during a water break just long enough to challenge a brave soul
> to unload the machine... in order to retaliate with an oppurtunity
> to flex ones control issues...
>
> i do it on purpose to generate fights...

Kinda like the time you stacked the Universal machine on top of the leg
press but "forgot" to let that 98# pencil-neck get off of the bench
first? I think his momma had to the gym and talk him down. I really
couldn't tell with all that screaming and crying he was doing. Man she
was ready to kick your ass... especially when you handed her that razor
and told her she had to shave her back before you would let her rim
you. I didn't know that an old lady could throw a dead raccoon that
hard... that bruise must have lasted a month or so. Hell, all that lady
could say was, "Common Josh, let's get outta here before the big man can
find us hiding over here in between the cardio equipment."

What a day...
--
_=====__O__=====_
=====V(_)V=====
Jeff Amason _|\U/|_
D/FW ASSAULT CREW
Spam deflected for your protection.
(that means remove the *nospam*)

Steve Kidwell

Jul 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/17/97

On Thu, 17 Jul 1997 12:23:24 -0500, "Allen Ayres"
<AllenAyres*nospam*@prodigy.net> wrote:

> Good one Steve.... hilarious!
>You apparently didn't read the text along with my web site... in no place do
>you see something to the effect: "I am the greatest! All bow down before
>me.... after making that sandwich!" You will read more to the other
>extreme... I know that I have a long way to go to reach where I want to be,
>that was why I started reading this group in the first place.... Your site
>however, as the speaker for natural bodybuilders everywhere, holds you to a
>higher standard in representing our sport...
>The thread had nothing to do with physique standards.... only etiquette,
>social aptitude, "thank you's", and "yes sir's", and, to bring back an old
>term: manners... something you are obviously sorely lacking in...
>You obviously have a better physique than I... maybe better than Rob, but
>your social development arrested somewhere around 14-15....

Allen, you basically said as a natural trainer, I was spending too
long on an exercise. #1, you have no clue how long I'd been on, #2 I
don't like unsolicited advice from beginners, and #3 your advice had
nothing to do with gym etiquette either bonehead!

I like to think my social development stopped somewhere around 18
quite frankly! :-) I hope I never feel any older either.

>One last thing... your sig file includes the phrase:

>>**************************************************************************
>>*"If liberals can't beat you, if they're losing on the issues, they do *
>>* one of two things. They either call you a bigot or a racist. Or they *
>>* sue you." *
>>* -J.C. Watts *
>>**************************************************************************

>Obviously, the same applies to you... I must have hit on a sore spot that
>you recognized as something you need to work on... only instead of saying:
>"maybe you are right..." you lash back at something that had nothing to do
>with the discussion...
>Hmmm... make that 13-14...

The above paragraph makes absolutely no sense at all. Honestly, I
tried to make it out, but it is just too abstract to put together.

>Allen Ayres

A man who writes like Jackson Pollock paints!

>- http://members.aol.com/texasmusl

William Greene

Jul 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/17/97

Kimberly Ann Weeden <wee...@leland.Stanford.EDU> wrote:

[snip SK story]

ROTFLMAO !!!

Allen Ayres

Jul 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/17/97

Good one Steve.... hilarious!
You apparently didn't read the text along with my web site... in no place do
you see something to the effect: "I am the greatest! All bow down before
me.... after making that sandwich!" You will read more to the other
extreme... I know that I have a long way to go to reach where I want to be,
that was why I started reading this group in the first place.... Your site
however, as the speaker for natural bodybuilders everywhere, holds you to a
higher standard in representing our sport...
The thread had nothing to do with physique standards.... only etiquette,
social aptitude, "thank you's", and "yes sir's", and, to bring back an old
term: manners... something you are obviously sorely lacking in...
You obviously have a better physique than I... maybe better than Rob, but
your social development arrested somewhere around 14-15....
One last thing... your sig file includes the phrase:
>*"If liberals can't beat you, if they're losing on the issues, they do *
>* one of two things. They either call you a bigot or a racist. Or they *
>* sue you." *
>* -J.C. Watts *
Obviously, the same applies to you... I must have hit on a sore spot that
you recognized as something you need to work on... only instead of saying:
"maybe you are right..." you lash back at something that had nothing to do
with the discussion...
Hmmm... make that 13-14...

Bill Roberts

Jul 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/17/97

On 16 Jul 1997, Anthony Searle wrote:

> : >Steve Kidwell <the...@indiana.net> wrote:
> : >>
> : >>I was doing leg presses the other day when this female heffer decides

> : >>to screw up my workout. After pounding out a rigorous set I did my
> : >>usual - head to the water fountain for a drink and some recuperation

> : >>time. When I arrived back at the leg press I found the most

> : >>disgusting female in the place unloading my weights!!!
>

> Perhaps you need a sign reading "Reserved for Steve Kidwell, Ugly
> bitches should be home making me a sandwich."

No, you have it all wrong. It's the good looking babes that should be at
home making Steve a sandwich, and bringing it too. Who wants the ugly
bitches in the house?

Secondly, Steve is right on the issue of people jumping in between sets.

-- Bill

Ralph Brewer

Jul 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/17/97

First things first....
I am a newbie (Please, be gentle). I've been reading all of the posts
regarding Kidwell's <Fat Bitch stealing the Leg Press> story, and I have
to agree with Steve. In fact, I use to work out at the same gym that
Steve does. He is absolutely correct about the pedigree of idiots at the
University (Indiana State). It seems like every corn-fed heffer and her
equally stupid male counterpart goes to this gym to workout. It's a VERY
small gym with A LOT of people in it. For this woman to start taking
over the leg press is uncalled for. If I were Steve, I probably woudln't
have been so polite. There is NO way she could not have seen that Steve
was using the machine. Steve, next time it happens, just throw a greasy
porkchop in the opposite direction. The big mama will run after it like
a horny bison.

Ralph

RBeare

Jul 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/17/97

wee...@leland.Stanford.EDU (Kimberly Ann Weeden) said:

>So, I was in the gym yesterday and I wanted to blast my calves
>before I limped out to the car (it was SQUAT day). Our gym
>has only one calf machine.
>
>When I got to the machine, there were plates on it, but no one
>was around. There's always plates left on that particular machine.
>I waited for maybe 15 seconds, but no one seemed to be
>claiming it.
>
>There was some fat slob across the gym by the water cooler.
>This guy was a classic gym wanna-be. You know the type: faux
>leopard lycra shorts that showed of his droopy nuts and 2" penis,
>a muscle tank top that accentuated the zits on his back,
>Ottomixxx shoes, weight belt, straps, the works. But he was huffing and
>puffing so much that I figured he had just gotten off the
>Stair Buddy. Or maybe just gotten off.
>
>I start to load on plates (whoever used it last was only doing a
>single 45). The water cooler guy came over. When he had come within
>3 yards of me, I almost gagged from the stench. He obviously
>hadn't taken a shower in 5 or 6 days, and his nose hairs were so
>long that he was a walking add for Nair. What a disgusting sloth.
>
>Stinky Kid (SK) then says, "excuse me, I was using this
>machine." In his defense, he was polite about it. I said, "Sorry,
>I didn't see you ... do you mind if I work in for a set?" (At
>this point I had already loaded two 45s and a quarter onto the
>machine. I figured he could wait another 20 seconds, since
>he had already been futzing around for at least two minutes.)
>
>SK then goes off on a Limbaugh-inspired tirade. He started yelling
>about how women didn't deserve to lift weights because they should be
>at home getting sandwiches for their menfolk. He told me
>I must be a feminazi dyke just because I was a woman (or maybe
>because I failed to be adequately impressed by his 13" arms?).
>
>I walked away. There are some battles worth fighting,
>and this wasn't one of them. When I left, SK was still spouting
>some BS about how the country went downhill when they gave the
>vote to "those colored folks".
>
>What a moron. And what's really frightening is that this guy
>probably thinks he's God's gift to lifting. If I thought he
>knew how to read or write, I'd bet you anything that he'd
>start some supplement or personal training business.
>
>Kim

c'mon Kim, that's pretty bad. This guy was like adding just about every asshole

trait into one total package. BTW, why were you looking at his crotch????

T Eldredge

Jul 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/17/97

Ralph Brewer <ccbr...@amber.indstate.edu> wrote:

Last night the gym was really crowded and it was hard to get to any of the
equipment we needed. After waiting for the dumbbells, the flat bench and
even the barbells, we had one exercise left. The military press was finally
empty and no one had been using it for a few minutes so we went over and
started loading weights. A girl ran over and said they were using it so we
backed off to wait yet again. It turns out she was not even going to use
the damn thing, she was just holding it for her boyfriend who was across
the room finishing up his bench presses. He was having her run ahead
through his whole workout to reserve each piece of equipment so it would be
there for him with no waiting. Unfortunately, throwing a porkchop would not
have worked as she was a tiny little thing.
Another thing I have noticed lately is that the younger guys have very
little respect for women in the free weight area. They give my husband a
wide berth and never get in his way but think nothing of stopping to chat
right in front of me while I am doing good mornings or bicep curls. I work
out very hard and am serious about it. It is very frustrating to have to
stop and move over in the middle of a set.

I have noticed alot of the girls just beginning to use the free weight area
tend to leave weights on everything. Our gym has no signs telling you to
clear them off. Maybe they are not aware that this is proper gym
ettiquette? Just a thought.....
T Eldredge - American by birth, Southern by the grace of God. (to reply by e-mail, remove x after .com)

Christopher L Connell

Jul 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/17/97

nenutt (nen...@earthlink.net) wrote:

: SRenick wrote:
: >
: > the...@indiana.net (Steve Kidwell) wrote:
: > >Don't you get sick of the 'One Month a Year' lifters who permeate the
: > >gym? It seems like these people's mission is just to annoy the shit
: > >out of you.

: > >
[...]

CLC
D/FW ASSAULT CREW
D/FW Chapter MFW Assault Crew

"MFW I.T.H.: BK/TF/SA/PA/SG/BS/DJR/KM/JA/RS/DR/JBu/Bill/PF/MS/JW/ST/CC/KW"
"Natural Bodybuilding??? Never heard of it..."

RacerX 012

Jul 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/17/97

ROBERT SPECTOR WROTE

even if you ARE using a machine, there has to be a limit to the time you
get between sets. I'm sorry, but 5 minutes is unacceptable, especially
if the guy is doing multiple sets! Think about how much time you'd have
to wait.

sorry, but squats and leg presses(other big movements too )for multiple
sets do require 3-5 minutes rest between work sets if you are going heavy
for most. why not just ask to work in? usually the people with alot of
weight on the machine or bar will quickly let you(like me) i find that
pencilnecks usually simply say, "hes got 4 sets and i have 3 left" when i
ask how many sets they have left. guess they dont want me to makem look
bad 8) (not like they need my help) when someone asks me how many sets i
have left i usually ask them if they wanna work in. if someone doesnt let
you work in just do a different exercise. benches taken up? do inclines or
dumbells DAMnIT

Racer X. aka Aaron ( My speeding tickets are now paid off)

"Who now then bitches"- KORN "Anger is a gift"-Zack De la Rocha(RAGE AGAINST
THE MACHINE) DOOWWWWW- Homer Simpson

Michael Behr

Jul 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/17/97

In article <terra-no-spam-1...@twelve-oaks.mit.edu>,
terra-...@no-spam.mit.edu (Terra Cholfin) wrote:

> In article <33cbbae1...@news.zippo.com>, the...@indiana.net (Steve
> Kidwell) wrote:
>
> > The moral to the story is: If you walk up to a weight loaded piece of
> > equipment, ask if anyone is using it before you just take the machine
> > over!!!
>
> I do ask first, but otherwise I can't agree with you. It really
> pisses *me* off when people pile on the weight (in my case, it's
> usually the squat rack) and then wander off goodness knows where for
> five or ten minutes at a time.

both suck. People should leave a towel or a water bottle by machines if
they go away for a minute. If I wait by a machine for two minutes (by the
clock) or so, and nobody comes back, I assume they were bastards for not
unloading the weights or assholes for talking it up with their buddies and
just hop on.

and it's really rude to attempt supersets when the gym is busy.

-Mike

RacerX 012

Jul 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/17/97

Use the 100 lb. plates. Most of the people who cause problems can't lift
them.

yup great idea from josh of all people. (Or is it bruce 8) and if they try
to remove the plates they get an effect similar to hitting the bent part
of the end of a fork at the dinner table when you were a kid. except
instead of a fork flying in the air its a 45 lb olympic bar. They wont
even be able to walk for a year besides being so traumatized that they
will probably never go near the squat rack again

Steve Kidwell

Jul 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/17/97

On Thu, 17 Jul 1997 19:09:22 GMT, be...@mindspring.com.spam (RBeare)
wrote:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Holy shit!!! Rbeare dominates with the comeback! You want to talk
ROTFLMAO!!!! I have to go piss again!! This is a classic.

>and on the 7th day, the Lord Squatted and had a tuna shake.
>
>RBeare

Steve Kidwell, Natural Physique Systems
http://www.indiana.net/~thekid/phys.htm

Robert Spector

Jul 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/17/97

BTW, how old are you again?

Steve Kidwell obviously was frustrated that everyone else in the world
is a "gym idiot" <BTW, when you're the only sane one in the asylum,
who's the REAL insano?> and wrote:

> The problem we have here is that this thread has become a role call
> for the *Idiots In The Gym*.

Yes, by your definition, I'm an "idiot". Let me think though...in the
gym, how many people do you think would complain about my behaviour vs.
YOURS, huh?

> I just wish that was the thread's
> purpose. I could have snapped my fingers, gleefully announced,
> "Mission Complete," and threw a few grenades!

Figures, more violence to solve problems. Typical. BTW, Rush Limbaugh
is a big fat slob who is a puppet for the Republican party.

Canadians don't listen to morons like that. Actually, smart Americans
don't either.

> We have to realize that the idiots will always
> outnumber the considerate and experienced.
>
> TOP TEN REASONS YOU ARE AN IDIOT IN THE GYM:

I really love this.

> 10. You complain about people using chalk in the gym.

I don't CARE if people use chalk in the gym - but it does AMUSE me when
I see those "Gym Warriors" with their gloves, belts, straps, elbow
catapults, knee wraps, compression shorts, wear this stuff for wrist
curls. And EVERY other exercise.

I will complain if they get chalk all over everything.

> 7. You talk to someone while they are trying to do a set.

I have to agree with that one, it does annoy the hell out of me.

> 6. You talk to someone during your set!

If you aren't bothering anyone else, again, who cares? Amusing how
stupid people are, but that's it.

It's not interfering with ME is it?

> 5. You carry a new issue of Muscle & Fitness or Muscle Media 2000
> around with you to make sure you follow your new lifting program.

If you even READ those rags....

> 4. You complain about someone making even the slightest grunt while
> attempting a new max on the squat.

Hahahahahaha! Now THAT does bother me - the people who grunt like
they're giving birth during every set.

The only time I make any perceptible noise is at the last rep. Even
then I don't YELL.

There is a correlation between how much noise you make and how hard you
are REALLY working.

> 3. You come in and do 5 minutes of stairmaster, talk to people for 55
> minutes and then go home after your 1 hour workout!!

Hey, they won't be stealing "your" equipment this way, right?

> 2. You train once a week, no more than six sets for your entire body
> because you don't want to overtrain.

Ooh, now I wonder who that was aimed at? Tough call....

That makes me an "idiot in the gym"? Please explain. An "idiot in the
gym" is someone who is inconsiderate and thinks only of themselves.

Training philosophy has nothing to do with it. Why is it that I'm
"tolerant" of multi-setters yet you (and some notable others who seem to
REALLY have a chip on their shoulder) can't be tolerant of someone who
isn't?

One of Rush Limbaugh's latest tirades? It's "UnAmerican" to be a HITer,
right? Guess we aren't "hardcore", huh?

Bahahahahahahaha!!!!

> 1. You race from machine to machine with almost no rest in between
> completing an entire body workout so you can go home a read your next
> chapter of an Ellington Darden, Arthur Jones, or Ken Listner book!!!!!

It's "Leistner". And he has no books published. Neither does Arthur
Jones. Yeah, and I can see how this would make you a "gym idiot".

Again, how old are you, son?

A REAL man spends 1 1/2 hrs squatting like Tom McWhatever, right? He's
no idiot, right?

I wish I could send you kids for a workout with Ken Leistner, Matt
Brzycki, or a bunch of other REAL hardcores. Or just having these
people shake hands with Matt would be enough <inside joke>.

I also wish (as I've said) then when I go to the gym, I had Bro' Bill
with me, as he'd make alot of people look even stupider than they are -
and trust me, these are all macho males.

> The "Gym Etiquette: Idiots In The GYM" thread was a public service
> announcement brought to you in part by the Novices and Geeks Aren't
> Welcome Corporation.

Sponsered by Rush Limbaugh of course. Hey, let's expand on what you
said before - why should women even BE in the gym? Stay home, barefoot
and pregnant, right?

> >>Some want to be respected. I want to be feared.

Your choice. I prefer to be liked and respected by my peers, but I'm
strange that way.

> Steve Kidwell, Natural Physique Systems
> http://www.indiana.net/~thekid/phys.htm

Well, at least you admit you're a kid.

Also YOUR choice to start with me. Good comeback, BTW, Kimberly.

I'm a nice guy, until you push it. Hey, shouldn't you be at the gym
workin' yer rhomboids now?

Amazing how someone can give you flowers, and you decide to throw rocks
at them.

Krista Scott

Jul 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/17/97

I'd like to nominate this post for flame of the month. I agree, there's no
mothers' back-shaving or rim jobs in it, but this kind of witty character
annihilation doesn't happen every day.

Krista

RBeare

Jul 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/17/97

Ralph Brewer <ccbr...@amber.indstate.edu> said:

>First things first....
>I am a newbie (Please, be gentle). I've been reading all of the posts
>regarding Kidwell's <Fat Bitch stealing the Leg Press> story, and I have
>to agree with Steve. In fact, I use to work out at the same gym that
>Steve does. He is absolutely correct about the pedigree of idiots at the
>University (Indiana State). It seems like every corn-fed heffer and her
>equally stupid male counterpart goes to this gym to workout. It's a VERY
>small gym with A LOT of people in it. For this woman to start taking
>over the leg press is uncalled for. If I were Steve, I probably woudln't
>have been so polite. There is NO way she could not have seen that Steve
>was using the machine. Steve, next time it happens, just throw a greasy
>porkchop in the opposite direction. The big mama will run after it like
>a horny bison.
>
>Ralph

Although I disagree with the general spirit of this, I'm laughing my ass off as
I type . . .

and on the 7th day, the Lord Squatted and had a tuna shake.

RBeare

for replies via email, please remove the spam from my address

RBeare

Jul 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/17/97

leld...@hidesert.com (T Eldredge) said:

>Another thing I have noticed lately is that the younger guys have very
>little respect for women in the free weight area. They give my husband a
>wide berth and never get in his way but think nothing of stopping to chat
>right in front of me while I am doing good mornings or bicep curls.

that's when you let out a blood-curdling war-whoop, as phlegm is projected
end-over-end all over 'em. dicks.

> I work
>out very hard and am serious about it. It is very frustrating to have to
>stop and move over in the middle of a set.

Don't move, push through, or drop a dumbbell on the dumbbell.

Sandeep De

Jul 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/17/97

On 17 Jul 1997 10:34:42 -0700, wee...@leland.Stanford.EDU (Kimberly
Ann Weeden) wrote:

>and this wasn't one of them. When I left, SK was still spouting
>some BS about how the country went downhill when they gave the
>vote to "those colored folks".

Kim,

Let assaholic know that us colored folk are really, really sorry for
screwing the fuck out of the country. God forgot about us when we were
in the oven, consequently our skin got screwed and a couple brain
cells got fried ahead of time as well. BTW, it doesn't matter what
country we screwed up, we just did it. I hear that thing in Bosnia is
our fault too. Oh yeah, some dude in Siberia just stubbed his toe on
his ice pick. That's my fault, specifically. I was breathing at the
time.

Please take a picture of the expression on his face when you do this
and email it to me.

Sandeep De
The Power Factory - http://www.geocities.com/HotSprings/4039/
"Pain is weakness leaving the body." - Unknown

Anne Elizabeth Lincoln

Jul 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/17/97

Kimberly Ann Weeden (wee...@leland.Stanford.EDU) wrote:

: Oh, BTW, I'm not a feminist. Didn't we go through this six months
: ago? Besides, I don't really see that my political preferences
: or my gender have any bearing on my comments.

quickie, kim:

i read what you wrote months back, but i really don't get it...feminism
is the belief that women should be equal to men in our society. do you
not desire equality for women? i consider myself very feminist, but i
certainly don't hate men. actually, my boyfriend is very supportive of
me and helpful in my quest for equality for women.

anne

--
Anne E. Lincoln aeli...@unity.ncsu.edu mszt...@aol.com
http://www4.ncsu.edu/unity/users/a/aelincol/www/cattbabe.html

These things take time.
Crush his soul...impale him upon his own ego.
-Aeon Flux

Anne Elizabeth Lincoln

Jul 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/17/97

Steve Kidwell (the...@indiana.net) wrote:
:
: I was doing leg presses the other day when this female heffer decides
: to screw up my workout. After pounding out a rigorous set I did my
: usual - head to the water fountain for a drink and some recuperation
: time. When I arrived back at the leg press I found the most
: disgusting female in the place unloading my weights!!!

i think what i have to say to this whole post is that i'm disheartened
that women are automatically judged by their bodies or looks in general.
if it were a man instead of a woman, would anyone have said that this
really ugly guy [insert derogatory comments] came up to the machine and was
unloading the weight? not likely. someone in this thread might have
called him a jerk or an asshole, but it's not likely anyone would have
made a comment as to his attractiveness.

i guess i shouldn't have expected more, but it makes me sad regardless of
my stance on whether she should have begun unloading the weights.
ladies, we have a long road ahead before we're not immediately put down
if we're not hyper attractive to someone.

:( anne

Bill Roberts

Jul 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/17/97

On Wed, 16 Jul 1997, Steve Kidwell wrote:

> He may be a pompous, fat-ass windbag, but do you disagree with his
> remarks about feminism? It's pretty damn accurate if you ask me.
> Also, when you have as much money as Rush does, women don't really
> care what you say or look like!

Damn, Steve, you're on a roll!

You scored a telling point with that last comment!

-- Bill

Robert Duncan

Jul 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/17/97

Robert Spector wrote:

> Figures, more violence to solve problems. Typical. BTW, Rush Limbaugh
> is a big fat slob who is a puppet for the Republican party.

What is your obsesion with a radio entertaner based on?

Weird! And what does he have to do with this thread?

Do you hold the same animosity for Letterman, heraldo, Brokaw, Rooney?

Weird!

Rob

Bil & Tag

Jul 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/18/97

Quote, quote, quote.

How in the hell are we supposed to know to whom or to what you are
responding?

Which conceited jerk do you mean? ... we have several to choose from ;-)

Anthclark <anth...@aol.com> wrote in article
<19970718010...@ladder01.news.aol.com>...
> You think your better hypocrite! whining about complaints... Both
groups
> have legitimate complaints. One should wait a minute if the machine is
> loaded and look around and ask a person or two who is using it. Thats
> what I do and rarely have a problem as a result. I wonder how a
conceited
> jerk like you manages

Anthclark

Jul 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/18/97

I think 30 seconds to a minute between sets to get water or rest is
perfectly reasonable. However, I partially agree with you. Some people
take the ridiculous and selfish 5 to 10 minute breaks in between sets and
expect people to wait. I think that is as bad as people that take the
machine as soon as you leave for a second.

Allen Ayres

Jul 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/18/97

Jon L. Grimes wrote in article
<33ced82f...@news.goodnet.com>...>Ahhh... I was looking for a way to
sneak this question in - What is
>the largest difference you can safely have between the two ends of a
>bar?

If you have the bar pushed as far as it will go where the collar is up
against the stand, you can have 3 extra 45's on one side... I only do this
when unloading a bar after the set so I don't have to keep going back and
forth... and this is for a 45 lb bar... do not try with a smaller bar... The
bar is still tipsy when you start to unload the other side (the one with 3
extra 45's) so be sure and lift on the plate as you slide it off so that the
bar does not come up and whap you on the head...

Jon L. Grimes

Jul 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/18/97

On 17 Jul 1997 20:43:34 GMT, race...@aol.com (RacerX 012) wrote:

>Use the 100 lb. plates. Most of the people who cause problems can't lift
>them.
>
>yup great idea from josh of all people. (Or is it bruce 8) and if they try
>to remove the plates they get an effect similar to hitting the bent part
>of the end of a fork at the dinner table when you were a kid. except
>instead of a fork flying in the air its a 45 lb olympic bar. They wont
>even be able to walk for a year besides being so traumatized that they
>will probably never go near the squat rack again

Ahhh... I was looking for a way to sneak this question in - What is

the largest difference you can safely have between the two ends of a
bar?

I tend to load (and unload, if I am gonna be a moron in the gym, I
will strive for origionality) 45 lbs per side at a time unless I am
using the leg press. It's bolted down, so I figure if it tips over I
can have a nice macho, chest pounding moment - "Looks like I am
stronger than the machine! GRUNT!"

Jon

Jon L. Grimes Xjgr...@goodnet.com | I will be prepared for the
http://www.goodnet.com/~jgrimes | Great-Bean-Dip catastrophe!
_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-
The Devil made me do it the first time, after that I did it on my own.
- R. Fulghum
To reply, please remove the X in my email addr

RBeare

Jul 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/18/97

anth...@aol.com (Anthclark) said:

>You think your better hypocrite! whining about complaints... Both groups
>have legitimate complaints. One should wait a minute if the machine is
>loaded and look around and ask a person or two who is using it. Thats
>what I do and rarely have a problem as a result. I wonder how a conceited
>jerk like you manages

Hmmm, and I wonder how the hell we are supposed to know who you're talking to,
seeing as how this thread has had about 100 or so responses, and you snipped
EVERYTHING. Dainbramage, gotta be.

Robert Spector

Jul 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/18/97

Sandeep De wrote:

> On 17 Jul 1997 10:34:42 -0700, wee...@leland.Stanford.EDU (Kimberly
> Ann Weeden) wrote:
>
> >and this wasn't one of them. When I left, SK was still spouting
> >some BS about how the country went downhill when they gave the
> >vote to "those colored folks".
>
> Kim,
>
> Let assaholic know that us colored folk are really, really sorry for
> screwing the fuck out of the country. God forgot about us when we were
> in the oven, consequently our skin got screwed and a couple brain
> cells got fried ahead of time as well. BTW, it doesn't matter what
> country we screwed up, we just did it. I hear that thing in Bosnia is
> our fault too. Oh yeah, some dude in Siberia just stubbed his toe on
> his ice pick. That's my fault, specifically. I was breathing at the
> time.

Excuse me, Sandeep, but I must take exception to your remarks. We all
know that all the problems in the world are caused by us Jews and the
bicycle riders.

Allen Ayres

Jul 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/18/97

Actually, we have no idea how long he was gone...

Steve Kidwell (the...@indiana.net) wrote:

: After pounding out a rigorous set I did my

: usual - head to the water fountain for a drink and some recuperation
: time. When I arrived back at the leg press I found the most
: disgusting female in the place unloading my weights!!!

his "recuperation time" could have included re-reading his trusty Limbaugh
Newsletter... that might have been 10 minutes... add another 5 min for
admiring himself in the mirror... he does have a great physique... or
haven't you heard?
--

RBeare wrote in article <33cfb5b4...@news.mindspring.com>...

>Maybe I'm the only one that read this, but didn't he say that he was gone
less
>than a minute, as the water fountain was very close?

Allen Ayres

Jul 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/18/97

pretty funny Kim... kinda sums up th thread....

Allen Ayres

Jul 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/18/97

ummmm...Jeff? it was sarcasm... :-)

Steve Kidwell

Jul 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/18/97

On Thu, 17 Jul 1997 20:11:31 -0600, jbur...@jps.net wrote:

>In article <33cbbae1...@news.zippo.com>,
> the...@indiana.net (Steve Kidwell) wrote:
>>

>> Don't you get sick of the 'One Month a Year' lifters who permeate the
>> gym? It seems like these people's mission is just to annoy the shit
>> out of you.
>>

>> I was doing leg presses the other day when this female heffer decides

>> to screw up my workout. After pounding out a rigorous set I did my

>> usual - head to the water fountain for a drink and some recuperation
>> time. When I arrived back at the leg press I found the most
>> disgusting female in the place unloading my weights!!!
>

>Steve, I can see two mistakes already. 1) If she could unload the
>weights, you obviously didn't have the 100's on the outside or have
>ENOUGH of them on there. 2) Get a large water bottle and a carbo drink or
>two. That way you can hog the equipment AND take up a lot of space. Oh
>wait... and 3) how can a guy from Indiana not know that there is an 'I'
>in heifer???? ;)

embarrassed me. I grew up with cows, hogs, sheep, horses all around
me, I don't know how I screwed that one up!!!

*"If liberals can't beat you, if they're losing on the issues, they do *
* one of two things. They either call you a bigot or a racist. Or they *
* sue you." *
* -J.C. Watts *

William Greene

Jul 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/18/97

Steve Kidwell <the...@indiana.net> wrote:

> Well, Anne. When down renewing your ACLU card next time ...

"The American Civil Liberties Union."

Exactly what part of that name or their mission (the preservation of civil
rights) do you find so offensive that you think simply invoking the name is
tantamount to an insult?

Lerham

Jul 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/18/97

> : >Steve Kidwell <the...@indiana.net> wrote:
> : >>
> : >>I was doing leg presses the other day when this female heffer

decides
> : >>to screw up my workout. After pounding out a rigorous set I did my
> : >>usual - head to the water fountain for a drink and some recuperation
> : >>time. When I arrived back at the leg press I found the most
> : >>disgusting female in the place unloading my weights!!!
>

> Perhaps you need a sign reading "Reserved for Steve Kidwell, Ugly
> bitches should be home making me a sandwich."

>No, you have it all wrong. It's the good looking babes that >should be at
>home making Steve a sandwich, and bringing it too. Who >wants the ugly
>bitches in the house?

>Secondly, Steve is right on the issue of people jumping in >between sets.

>-- Bill

Let me get this straight. You can go into a gym start doing sets on a
machine. Take your time recouping (not by the machine, mind you) take a
water break, and then come back to the machine full expecting it to belong
to you.
Get a life! Better yet buy your own equipment so you can stamp your name
on it!!
Dan

Kimberly Ann Weeden

Jul 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/18/97

In article <5qma7h$j...@uni00nw.unity.ncsu.edu>,

Anne Elizabeth Lincoln <aeli...@unity.ncsu.edu> wrote:

>i read what you wrote months back, but i really don't get it...feminism
>is the belief that women should be equal to men in our society. do you
>not desire equality for women? i consider myself very feminist, but i
>certainly don't hate men. actually, my boyfriend is very supportive of
>me and helpful in my quest for equality for women.

Answered in e-mail. If anyone else cares, e-mail me and I'll bounce
you a copy of my response.

Kim

Kimberly Ann Weeden

Jul 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/18/97

Jon L. Grimes <Xjgr...@goodnet.com> wrote:

>Ahhh... I was looking for a way to sneak this question in - What is
>the largest difference you can safely have between the two ends of a
>bar?

It depends on how far the support bars are from each other.
In my gym, the posts for the bench are closer together than
the posts/crossbars in the power cage. You can get away
with more of a differential in the power cage.

Not that I'm at the point where I need to worry about it...

Kim

Adam Fahy

Jul 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/18/97

: <william...@msfc.nasa.gov> wrote:

: >Ah, very good. Quoting a pompous, fat-ass windbag about attractiveness and
: >unattractiveness.
: >
:
: He may be a pompous, fat-ass windbag, but do you disagree with his

: remarks about feminism? It's pretty damn accurate if you ask me.

Of course it isn't.

: Also, when you have as much money as Rush does, women don't really

: care what you say or look like!

This is exactly the factor upon which I choose to base my relationships.

[sarcasm]

--
"It's all in the Bible, son; it's the prankster's Bible."
-Homer Simpson

Adam Fahy:
af...@oitunix.oit.umass.edu Web site: [under construction]

It is loading more messages.