Re: Oh God, I AM OLD!!Oh God I AM old!!

Hactar

Dec 7, 2011, 6:02:42 PM12/7/11
In article <jbolq2$664$1...@dont-email.me>, John Mc <Jo...@tdcogre.com> wrote:
> I got them all. Of course, there would have been dire consequences if
> I'd flubbed #9.
>
> The age test (answers and scoring below):
>

> 1. Name the Beatles (First names).
> _John____________
> _Paul____________
> _George__________
> _Ringo___________
>
> 2. Finish the line: "Lions and Tigers and Bears, _oh_ _my_ !"
>
> 3. "Hey kids, what time is it?" _It's _Howdy_Doody_time.
>
> 4. What do M&M's do? _melt_in_your mouth, not_ in__ your
> hand.
>
> 5. What helps build strong bodies 12 ways? _____ _____.

??

> 6. Long before he was Mohamed Ali, we knew him as Cassius
> _Clay.
>
> 7. You'll wonder where the yellow went, _when you brush
> with Pepsodent.
>
> 8. Post-baby boomers know Bob Denver as the Skipper's "little buddy."
> But we know that Bob Denver is actually Dobie's closest friend,
> ________G.______. (His favorite expression was "What - me work!!!")

??

> 9. M-I-C. . .See ya' real soon; K-E-Y. . . _____? ____ _____
> _____ _____!

??

> 10. "Brylcream: ____ ____ ____ ____ ____ ____."

??

> 11. Bob Dylan advised us never to trust anyone _over thirty_.

> 12. From the early days of our music, real rock 'n roll, finish this line:
> "I wonder, wonder, who _wrote _the__ _book _of__ love____?"

> 13. And while we're remembering rock n' roll, try this one: "War...uh-
> huh,huh...yeah; what is it good for? _Absolutely nothing_."
>
> 14. Meanwhile, back home in Metropolis, Superman fights a never-ending
> battle for truth, justice, and _the_ _American way_.
>
> 15. He came out of the University of Alabama, and became one of the best
> quarterbacks in the history of the NFL. He later went on to appear in a
> television commercial wearing women's pantyhose. He is Broadway ___ ______.

??

> 16. "I'm Popeye the sailor man; I'm Popeye the sailor man. I'm strong to
> the finish, ____ ____ ____ ___ ____. I'm Popeye the sailor man."

??

> 17. Your children probably recall that Peter Pan was recently played by
> Robin Williams, but we will always remember when Peter was played by
> _____ ______.

some female

> 18. In a movie from the late sixties, Paul Newman played Luke, a
> ne'er-do-well who was sent to a prison camp for cutting off the heads of
> parking meters with a pipe cutter. When he was captured after an
> unsuccessful attempt to escape, the camp commander (played by Strother
> Martin) used his experience as a lesson for the other prisoners, and
> explained, "What we have here, _is_ _failyuh to communicate_."
>
> 19. In 1962, a dejected politician chastised the press after losing a
> race for governor while announcing his retirement from politics."Just
> think, you won't have _Dick Nixon_ to kick around anymore."

Or maybe "Tricky Dick".

> 20. "Every morning, at the mine, you could see him arrive. He stood six
> foot six, weighed 245. Kinda' broad at the shoulder, and narrow at the
> hip. And everybody knew you didn't give no lip, _____ _____ ____, ____
> ____ ____."

??

> 21. "I found my thrill, _on Blueberry Hill_."
>
> 22. _____ ______ said, "Good night, Mrs. Calabash, ______
> __ __."

??

> 23. "Good night, David." "____ ____,____."

??

> 24. "Liar, liar, _pants on fire_."
>
> 25. "When it's least expected, you're elected. You're the star today.
> ____! ____ ____ ____ ____."

??

> 26. It was Pogo, the comic strip character, who said, "We have met the
> enemy, and _he is us_.
>
> ANSWERS:
>
> >1. John, Paul, George, Ringo
> >2. Oh, my
> >3. It's Howdy Doody Time!
> >4. They melt in your mouth, not in your hand.
> >5. Wonder Bread
> >6. Cassius Clay
> >7. when you brush your teeth with Pepsodent
> >8. Maynard G. Krebbs
> >9. Why? Because we like you.
> >10. A little dab'll do ya.
> >11. over 30
> >12. who wrote the book of love
> >13. Absolutely nothin'
> >14. the American way
> >15. Joe Namath
> >16. "cause I eats me spinach"
> >17. Mary Martin
> >18. is a failure to communicate
> >19. Richard Nixon
> >20. to Big John, Big Bad John
> >21. On Blueberry Hill
> >22. Jimmy Durante - Wherever you are.
> >23. Good night, Chet.
> >24. pants on fire
> >25. Smile you're on Candid Camera
> >26. he is us
>
> SCORING:
>
> >24-26 correct - You're probably 50+ years old
> >20-23 correct - Most likely in your 40's
> >15-19 correct - Are we in our 30's?
> >10-14 correct - Must be in your 20's!!
> > 1- 9 correct - You're, like, sorta a teenage dude?

Hmm, it says I'm in my late 20s. That'd be nice...

--
-eben QebWe...@vTerYizUonI.nOetP royalty.mine.nu:81
Two atoms are discussing whether or not to go into a bar. The first atom

Snidely

Dec 7, 2011, 7:14:25 PM12/7/11
ebenZ...@verizon.net (Hactar) scribbled something like ...

> In article form, John Mc <Jo...@tdcogre.com>
> wrote:
>> I got them all. Of course, there would have been dire consequences if
>> I'd flubbed #9.
>>
>> The age test (answers and scoring below):

>> 5. What helps build strong bodies 12 ways? _____ _____.
>
> ??

You're right to wonder about this one.

/dps "manna, oh manna, that's some quiz!"

Hactar

Dec 10, 2011, 2:31:11 PM12/10/11
In article <eo87e7pds0prm673g...@4ax.com>,
Les Albert <lalb...@aol.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 10 Dec 2011 12:31:15 -0500, "Charles Wm. Dimmick"
> <cdim...@snet.net> wrote:
>
> >On 12/10/2011 10:58 AM, Nick Spalding wrote:
> >> Kajikit wrote, in<3od5e71v8b7f8n271...@4ax.com>
> >> on Fri, 09 Dec 2011 20:34:37 -0500:

> >> My family didn't get a TV until I was 20-something on which two
> >> channels were available until I was 20-something. I first saw it when
> >> I came home from three years overseas at the age of 23.
>
> >When my uncle Frank got his TV set in 1939 there only WAS one channel.
> >And it only broadcast a few hours a week. NBC, out of New York.
>
> Uncle Frank was from the wealthy side of the family?

His TV measured 2000" diagonally.

--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing? [TOFU := text oben,

Tim Wright

Dec 10, 2011, 7:08:19 PM12/10/11
And you had to wear sunscreen to watch it.

--

Tim W

Hactar

Dec 10, 2011, 7:49:45 PM12/10/11
In article <kks7e75i2nkng16po...@4ax.com>,
<BillT...@invalid.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 09 Dec 2011 20:34:37 -0500, Kajikit <kaj...@jagcon.com>
> wrote:
>
> >>6 and I am not a teenager, nor of course am I an American.
> >
> >I know like 12 of them... and I grew up in a country with only 3 tv
> >channels until I was 12 years old!
>
> We didn't even _have_ TV when I was twelve!

We didn't have a TV until my folks got a VIC-20. Then my sister and I
were allowed one hour a day, so we spent it on quality fare like _Knight
Rider_, _Dukes of Hazzard_, _The A-Team_, and _Gilligan's Island_.

--
-eben QebWe...@vTerYizUonI.nOetP royalty.mine.nu:81

He who will not reason is a bigot; he who cannot is a fool;
and he who dares not is a slave. -Sir William Drummond

Tim Wright

Dec 10, 2011, 8:26:24 PM12/10/11
On 12/10/2011 6:49 PM, Hactar wrote:
> In article<kks7e75i2nkng16po...@4ax.com>,
> <BillT...@invalid.com> wrote:

>>> I know like 12 of them... and I grew up in a country with only 3 tv
>>> channels until I was 12 years old!
>>
>> We didn't even _have_ TV when I was twelve!
>
> We didn't have a TV until my folks got a VIC-20. Then my sister and I
> were allowed one hour a day, so we spent it on quality fare like _Knight
> Rider_, _Dukes of Hazzard_, _The A-Team_, and _Gilligan's Island_.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned watching the cable TV scrambled porn.

--

Tim W

Mark Steese

Dec 10, 2011, 8:40:01 PM12/10/11
ebenZ...@verizon.net (Hactar) wrote in news:vkocr8-...@pc.home:
I saw that once. He was watching Godfather II. I remember thinking "Wow,
Robert De Niro's mole has gotta be ten feet wide."
--
The least objectionable of the inland scavengers is the raven,
frequenter of the desert ranges, the same called locally "carrion

Hactar

Dec 10, 2011, 9:16:36 PM12/10/11
In article <Moydnb0_ktVdm3nT...@supernews.com>,
Friend of mine had CATV a few years after that. IIRC you could get more
channels by using a CC to (probably) interrupt a circuit near the
channel-selector knob.

--
-eben QebWe...@vTerYizUonI.nOetP http://royalty.mine.nu:81
An ASCII character walks into a bar and orders a double. "Having a bad

Greg Goss

Dec 11, 2011, 4:33:24 AM12/11/11
ebenZ...@verizon.net (Hactar) wrote:

>In article <kks7e75i2nkng16po...@4ax.com>,
> <BillT...@invalid.com> wrote:

>> >I know like 12 of them... and I grew up in a country with only 3 tv
>> >channels until I was 12 years old!
>>
>> We didn't even _have_ TV when I was twelve!
>
>We didn't have a TV until my folks got a VIC-20. Then my sister and I
>were allowed one hour a day, so we spent it on quality fare like _Knight
>Rider_, _Dukes of Hazzard_, _The A-Team_, and _Gilligan's Island_.

A friend of mine had two channels of TV, but only two hours a week to
watch them. He had a TV of his own (junk-sourced from a friend's
discard), but his dad would only turn on the generator for HIS shows,
both of them. The rest of the time was propane range and propane
lamps and "stories come from books."
--
"Recessions catch what the auditors miss." (Galbraith)

Paul Madarasz

Dec 12, 2011, 11:52:45 AM12/12/11
On Sat, 10 Dec 2011 19:26:24 -0600, Tim Wright <tlwri...@gmail.com>
wrote, perhaps among other things:
One of the Canadian independent stations (TV Ontario?) used to have a
show called "Baby Blue Movies" late at night. It was over the air,
and maybe 40 years ago. UHF, of course. We'd get it in Detroit when
the POTM was right.
--
"Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell."
-- Ed Abbey

Mark Brader

Dec 12, 2011, 4:12:11 PM12/12/11
Tim Wright:
>> I'm surprised no one has mentioned watching the cable TV scrambled porn.

Paul Madarasz:
> One of the Canadian independent stations (TV Ontario?) used to have a
> show called "Baby Blue Movies" late at night. It was over the air,
> and maybe 40 years ago. UHF, of course.

Not TVO; that's our local PBS clone. It was a commercial station,
CITY-TV -- originally channel 79, then 57 when the UHF band was shrunk.
(Don't know what it is now that it's digital and I have cable.)

They revived the "Baby Blue Movie" sometime in this century, on Friday
nights, and there was a period where it was competing against sexy
movies or shows on two or three other channels. Possibly the other
channels involved in this period of competition were all cable-only;
I don't remember any specifics, except that one show was "Red Shoe
Diaries" (which I think was on Showcase, a Canadian cable channel).
It's past now, anyway.
--
Mark Brader | Up until now, you have been told never to use
Toronto | the Goto. I use it. I use a revolver too, but

Paul Madarasz

Dec 13, 2011, 4:44:20 PM12/13/11
On Mon, 12 Dec 2011 15:12:11 -0600, m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote,
perhaps among other things:

>Tim Wright:
>>> I'm surprised no one has mentioned watching the cable TV scrambled porn.
>
>Paul Madarasz:
>> One of the Canadian independent stations (TV Ontario?) used to have a
>> show called "Baby Blue Movies" late at night. It was over the air,
>> and maybe 40 years ago. UHF, of course.
>
>Not TVO; that's our local PBS clone. It was a commercial station,
>CITY-TV -- originally channel 79, then 57 when the UHF band was shrunk.
>(Don't know what it is now that it's digital and I have cable.)
>
>They revived the "Baby Blue Movie" sometime in this century, on Friday
>nights, and there was a period where it was competing against sexy
>movies or shows on two or three other channels. Possibly the other
>channels involved in this period of competition were all cable-only;
>I don't remember any specifics, except that one show was "Red Shoe
>Diaries" (which I think was on Showcase, a Canadian cable channel).
>It's past now, anyway.

Thanks for the info.

Opus the Penguin

Dec 14, 2011, 11:28:15 PM12/14/11
Hactar (ebenZ...@verizon.net) wrote:

> Friend of mine had CATV a few years after that. IIRC you could
> get more channels by using a CC to (probably) interrupt a circuit
> near the channel-selector knob.

Why would a catalytic converter have that effect? Some days I think
I'll never understand electronics.

--
Opus the Penguin
The best darn penguin in all of Usenet

Greg Goss

Dec 14, 2011, 11:54:57 PM12/14/11
Opus the Penguin <opusthepen...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Hactar (ebenZ...@verizon.net) wrote:
>
>> Friend of mine had CATV a few years after that. IIRC you could
>> get more channels by using a CC to (probably) interrupt a circuit
>> near the channel-selector knob.
>

>Why would a catalytic converter have that effect? Some days I think
>I'll never understand electronics.

He's using a sheet of paper with a primitive sort'a photocopy on it.