Removing oil stains from interlocking stone driveway

220 ವೀಕ್ಷಣೆಗಳು
ಮೊದಲು ಓದದ ಸಂದೇಶಕ್ಕೆ ಸ್ಕಿಪ್ ಮಾಡಿ

Janick Bergeron

ಓದದಿರುವುದು,
ನವೆಂ 4, 1991, 11:27:26 ಪೂರ್ವಾಹ್ನ4/11/91
ಗೆ
I'm looking for a technique/product that will help me remove oil
stains from my cobblestone driveway.

I have a few small spots of dirty oil and several large spots of clean
clear oil (fresh rustproofing undercoat that dripped).

I'd like to remove them as soon as possible before they really settle in.

I guess there are some restrictions:

- Can't use high-pressure water for washing/rinsing. The municipal
water is not great pressure-wise.

- It's about -5C during the night and +5C during the day. It will have
to work at relatively cool temperatures.

Thanks,
--
Janick Bergeron Bell-Northern Research, Ltd Ph.: (613) 763-5457
VHDL Tools P.O. Box 3511, Station C, Stop 049 Fax: (613) 763-7241

Peter Brooks

ಓದದಿರುವುದು,
ನವೆಂ 5, 1991, 12:24:24 ಅಪರಾಹ್ನ5/11/91
ಗೆ
I've had fair luck with kitty litter. The clay absorbs a lot of oil.
Be generous, and most of the oil will get sucked up. This
doesn't work so well for dirty oil, but is great for fresh spills.
There is a commercial product, Safe-T-Sorb, made specifically for
this; it's also good cat litter. :-)

Pete Brooks

Lawrence Buja

ಓದದಿರುವುದು,
ನವೆಂ 6, 1991, 10:56:50 ಪೂರ್ವಾಹ್ನ6/11/91
ಗೆ
In article <1991Nov4.1...@bnr.ca> jan...@bnr.ca writes:
>I'm looking for a technique/product that will help me remove oil
>stains from my cobblestone driveway.

Needless to say, cleaning up oil spots is a FAQ on the British-cars
mailing list. One of our more experienced members, Scott Fisher
(sfi...@Pa.dec.com) has recommended:

Oil stains:

Try the following combination:

A first application of K & N air filter cleaner rubbed in with
a scrub brush. Hose off. This might do the trick by itself.

A second application of Gunk Foamy Engine Brite or other foaming
engine cleaner. Scrub if necessary.

A third application of Brakleen. Hose to get the crud out into
the water table where your landlord can't see it poisoning streams.
Brakleen lifts the cruft out of the pores of the concrete, so you
need to flush it fairly soon to move it. The Brakleen itself
evaporates. It can't be all that toxic in its own right. When
I squirted it into my eye, it just said to flush the eye with
water and not even to bother getting medical attention. Of
course, maybe that's because it's useless at that point...

For spills, Jerry Kaidor (jka...@synoptics.com) suggested:

My local "real" auto parts store has a product called "Hulled
Rice Ash" that is for soaking up oil spills. This is the most
absorbent stuff I've ever seen.
It costs about $7 for an enormous ( 50lb? ) bag. I bought it
after I accidentally dumped two gallons (!) of dirty oil all over
my driveway. After soaking the oil into the Hulled Rice Ash, the
driveway was DRY but still stained. A quick soak in muriatic acid
removed the stain!

/\ Lawrence Buja Climate and Global Dynamics Division
\_][ sout...@ncar.ucar.edu National Center for Atmospheric Research
\_________________________Boulder,_Colorado___80307-3000__________

discussing various sorts of things like daily dramas of owning the things,
car maintenence and restoration and such. Currently there are about 200
folks on the list, not all of them owning British cars, some just wanting
to get info before they make the plunge.

How busy is this list?

- The list averages about 15 to 20 messages per day, with a monthly total
of about 1.25 megabytes of stuff flowing forth. If the daily number of
messages is too much, you can request to be put on the digest, which is
simply all the day's mail concatenated into one long message, sent out at
night.

How do I join?

- Send email to british-ca...@autox.team.net, use hoosier.utah.edu
if your mailer can't handle MX records.

25335-stevens

ಓದದಿರುವುದು,
ನವೆಂ 7, 1991, 01:47:16 ಅಪರಾಹ್ನ7/11/91
ಗೆ
Sometimes simple is best. Try these...

1. Extract stained brick, turn over, replaced brick. Ta Da! Stain goes away!.

2. Replace stained bricks with unstained bricks.

0 ಹೊಸ ಸಂದೇಶಗಳು