Urine in the floor

Dan Simoes

Jun 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/19/97

It's a long story, but the previous owner's cat (or cats?) must
have used one corner of our bedroom, in an alcove, as a litter box.
I ripped up a piece of the hardwood floor in the area, down to the studs,
and applied a heavy coat of Kilz sealer to the wood. That helped a bit.
Then, I dumped a few boxes of baking powder in there. That also
helped. As the weather got hotter, we noticed some stains on the
ceiling downstairs, though it too had been kilz'd and painted, 2 coats.

Last week I cut out a large section of sheetrock and found yet more urine.
Since it was in the studs, I brushed it with a wire brush, vaccumed and
applied yet more Kilz.

The last few days have been hot and humid... I CAN STILL SMELL THE &*%^$%$
URINE! Help... I've suggested pouring gasoline and only burning down
part of the house, but my wife will not go for it, for some reason.

Seriously, I'm not sure what to do. The studs are in a bad spot, which means
I cannot cut them out and replace them. I've thought about somehow cutting
down 1/2" of the wood everywhere in sight, but what if it goes all the way
through? The floor and ceiling are still open, as I decided to let the
area dry out a bit, so my options are open.

Any ideas?

| Dan |

--
Dan Simoes da...@ans.net
ANS Communications http://coimbra.ans.net/dans.html

dddi...@ingr.com

Jun 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/19/97

Get some agricultural lime (the white powder). and throw in and around there.
For some reason lime will get rid of smells. Leave it in there if you can. If
you're in the correct location, the smell should go away in a couple of days.

Make sure its the white stuff, if it's not, it won't work.

Dan

In article <5obskq$oa1$1...@news.aa.ans.net>, da...@coimbra.ans.net (Dan Simoes)

John R. Gordon

Jun 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/19/97

Try spraying a 50% solution of bleach all over the studs and subfloor.
Messy, but it should kill the odor. Worked for me on my plywood subfloor.
Then I Kilz'ed it after that.

Paul Johnson

Jun 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/19/97

Dan Simoes wrote:

> It's a long story, but the previous owner's cat (or cats?) must
> have used one corner of our bedroom, in an alcove, as a litter box.

> Any ideas?
For smell, crush some charcoal briquets and spread powder where smell
eminates, don't seal until smell is gone. If smell is there after three
weeks vacuum up what you can and make fresh application. You will not
use up a 10# bag before smell is gone.
--
MZ

Ellen W.

Jun 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/20/97

Dan Simoes wrote:

> It's a long story, but the previous owner's cat (or cats?) must

Get a black light.
Illuminate it a night. Look for everything that glows.
This is important so that you get every area the cat sprayed.

Get an enzyme product to put on it. The stuff I bought
had "Miracle" in the brand name. You get this stuff at
the bigger pet stores.

Saturate the area with this liquid. Let it sit for more
than a week. Add more as it seeps away or dries. You want
this stuff to seep in everywhere the cat piss seeped.

I paid about $20 for the black light, and $20 for the extra
large bottle of "Miracle" cat piss product.

-Ted

dave meyer

Jun 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/22/97

Ellen W. wrote:

> Dan Simoes wrote:
> >
> > It's a long story, but the previous owner's cat (or cats?) must

I have had the same problem with a house I purchased a number of years
ago. I have the problem in the basement on concrete and upstairs on
hard wood floors.

In the basement, the carpet went - no way to get ride of the smell in
the carpet. Next I bleached the floor - twice - then sealed it with a
deck sealer. It work! I purchased a dog and she never smelled the
cats.

The hardwood floors, they were wasted. I ended up Kiltzing them. Kiltz
is a paint you can by. I had to cover the hardwood with carpet.

Good luck

Michael Baugh

Jun 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/22/97

Cut out a piece with the urine, take it elsewhere, and try spritzing
ammonia water on it, and give it a day or so, then see how it smells.

Dan Simoes wrote:

> It's a long story, but the previous owner's cat (or cats?) must

> have used one corner of our bedroom, in an alcove, as a litter box.

David J. McBride

Jun 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/22/97
to Dan Simoes

Dan Simoes wrote:
> I CAN STILL SMELL THE &*%^$%$
> URINE! Help... I've suggested pouring gasoline and only burning down
> part of the house, but my wife will not go for it, for some reason.

In carpet and the underlying concrete a product called CONSAN, aka
CONSAN TRIPLE ACTION 20 is a antibacterial fungicide. While it is most
readily available at garden centers, it is used in hospitals, stables,
and restaurants as a disenfectant. I have used it to remove the smoked
sausage smell from a deep freeze that had been inadvertantly unplugged
for several days. Repeat spraying with a dilution ratio as suggested on
the label may do the trick.

Reply mail must remove the hyphen (-) at the beginning of my e-mail
address.
David J. McBride
Houston, Texas

Maryanne Todd

Jun 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/24/97

In article <33ACCD...@aye.net> Michael Baugh <baug...@aye.net> writes:

>> The last few days have been hot and humid... I CAN STILL SMELL THE &*%^$%$

>> URINE! Help... I've suggested pouring gasoline and only burning down
>> part of the house, but my wife will not go for it, for some reason.

>Cut out a piece with the urine, take it elsewhere, and try spritzing

>ammonia water on it, and give it a day or so, then see how it smells.

Don't try ammonia - t's one of the original base compounds of urine
and it doesn't do any good. (I know - I've been there!) I had better
luck with straight white vinegar.

If you're in the US, try Nature's Miracle. People in rec.pets.cats.*
have been proclaiming its virtues for a LONG time - it seems to really
work.

Maryanne whose similar problem is not the smell, it's to discoloured
floorboards.

Dan Simoes

Jun 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/25/97

Well, the overwhelming consensus is to use Nature's Miracle or
a similar enzymatic cleaner, perhaps in conjunction with a black
light.

I bought 2 quarts of the stuff (about $8 each) and sprayed it everywhere,
in the area I mentioned, as well as in another room where it smelled,
but not as badly, and where I had not yet cut up the floor.

That was a few days ago. The smell actually got worse for a while,
which it says on the package, but I think it's getting better.
I'll post again in a week or so.

And thanks for all the responses.

Guy

Jun 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/26/97

<
<writes:
<
<>It's a long story, but the previous owner's
<>cat (or cats?) must
<>have used one corner of our bedroom, in an
<>alcove, as a litter box.
<>I ripped up a piece of the hardwood floor.......

Dan's idea sounds good if you can get the lime to adhere to the area that
is affected. Just be careful you don't get it in your eyes. I was thinking
you could make up a solution of bleach (60%), water (40%) and baking soda and
spray the area about 3 times, letting the area dry throughly for a day between
applications. Then go to a pet supply store and purchase some liquid spray odor
nutralizer they sell just for your problem. The bigger chain stores like PetSmart
carry it. Give it at least 3 applicationswith that.

Good luck, let me know how you make out.

Guy (geste...@aol.com)

i000633 sends (Guy )...

Jason C. Poole

Jun 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/27/97
to Guy
If you have pets or kids, forget the lime. Try the bleach first, at
about 40-60 like aforementioned. If no luch, use a solution of salt
water(to dry the wood) alow to dry, then use 1 16oz bottle of vinegar
(yuk!!!) to one gallon of water, spray area until soaked, allow to dry,
then repeat until solution gone. It WILL stink for a day or two, but
when the vinegar goes away, so does the urine.....Good Luck!!!
Jason C. Poole

Raymond LaBrecque Jr.

Jun 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/30/97

David J. McBride wrote:

> Dan Simoes wrote:
> > I CAN STILL SMELL THE &*%^$%$
> > URINE! Help... I've suggested pouring gasoline and only burning down
> > part of the house, but my wife will not go for it, for some reason.
>
> In carpet and the underlying concrete a product called CONSAN, aka
> CONSAN TRIPLE ACTION 20 is a antibacterial fungicide. While it is most
> readily available at garden centers, it is used in hospitals, stables,
> and restaurants as a disenfectant. I have used it to remove the smoked
> sausage smell from a deep freeze that had been inadvertantly unplugged
> for several days. Repeat spraying with a dilution ratio as suggested on
> the label may do the trick.
>
> --
> Reply mail must remove the hyphen (-) at the beginning of my e-mail
> address.
> David J. McBride
> Houston, Texas
I've tried a few of the commercial products, but the best results was
good old Kitty Litter!!! We had a problem with kids' and pets' urine
soaked into carpeting and extrapolating on the fact that kitty litter
worked so well in the garage with oil & grease spills, I tried it.

For: Oil, Grease, Urine, etc.:
Sprinkle a liberal amount of kitty litter (we used un-scented stuff)
over and around the affected area. Walk it in a little (i.e. walk ON
the kitty litter with flat soled shoes). Let it sit for 1 to 3 days then
vacum it up.

Good luck...

Ray L.

Donna Wilson

Jul 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/18/97

Raymond LaBrecque Jr. <RLaBr...@postoffice.worldnet.att.net> wrote in
article <33B7DA...@postoffice.worldnet.att.net>...

> David J. McBride wrote:
> >
> > Dan Simoes wrote:
> > > I CAN STILL SMELL THE &*%^$%$
> > > URINE! Help... I've suggested pouring gasoline and only burning down
> > > part of the house, but my wife will not go for it, for some reason.

You could try a product that's designed to clean catheter appliances. (My
brother-in-law Mike is a quad -- you learn all sort of things from
everything in life!) The product I used on dog pee in carpets & on wood
floors is called Uri-Kleen. It's manufactured by Smith + Nephew and says
it will dissolve crustations & deodorize. Apparently urine (particularly
cat urine) has a chemical life of its own after being expelled -- so to
speak. i.e. it changes over time and may require repeated treatments to
dissolve all "crustations."

This stuff worked fairly well for me. At least it got rid of the smell.
The carpet is stained but not badly. Required repeated applications --
once a week for 3 weeks.

You can get Uri-Kleen (and other similar products -- but I used what Mike
suggested) from stores that specialize in medical supplies.

Good luck!

Donna

someone

Jul 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/19/97

Donna Wilson wrote:
> > David J. McBride wrote:

I recommend Simple Solution. You can buy it a large discount pet
stores. It really works!
Abby
Laraby Farm, Georgia

Mike Pender

Jul 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/19/97
to Dan Simoes

Dan Simoes wrote:

> It's a long story, but the previous owner's cat (or cats?) must
> have used one corner of our bedroom, in an alcove, as a litter box.
...snip...
Synopsis:
The cat has made a real mess of a corner of the bedroom.

You need to determine the extent of the problem, and then you need to
get rid of the urine smell.

To determine the extent of the problem get a "black light", the
flourescent kind that make your shoelaces glow in a funhouse. I made
my own from a flashlight with a flourescent bulb by replacing the
bulb with a 4 Watt ultraviolet bulb I bought through mail order.

Cat urine glows green in ultraviolet light. Everywhere the cat sprayed
urine will *clearly* show in the black light.

The next problem is how to get rid of the smell. On hard surfaces
or surfaces sealed against water penetration its easiest to clean
them with bleach. Bleach dissolves urine crystals like water
dissolves sugar.

On "soft" surfaces like carpet it VERY hard to get rid of the smell,
its usually easier to replace a section of carpet AND the padding
beneath.

I've never found steam cleaning or carpet additives to do any good
for the urine smell. However, there are chemical solutions sold
in pet stores that *claim* to remove the urine smell.

I've used several of them, and can't recommend any.

- Mike.

Aki Damme

Jul 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/20/97

..actually, we had a vet recommend several years ago to use douche
powder...(don't laugh)...mix a a batch about twice the recommended
strength,put it in a spray bottle and soak the affected area (wood,
tile or carpet is ok).

Don't buy the premade stuff or the vinegar & water solution it's not
the proper strength...

gawd...this sounds wierd talking about douches and being a
*guy*...blush

anyway...it really works...breaks down the enzymes very quickly..and
it's cheap...

cheers,
-aki

On Sat, 19 Jul 1997 22:37:16 -0400, Mike Pender <mpe...@erols.com>

John Munro - Call the Bug Guy

Jul 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/20/97

Nutroleum alpha is an effective deodorizer for any organic odors. Liquids
will not only be absorbed by fabrics but by any porous material such as
wood or concrete, unless they have been sealed.

someone

Jul 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/28/97

> the previous owner's cat (or cats?) must have used one corner of our > bedroom . . .
Try "Simple Solution" sold at pet stores and home depot
abby