how to catch a clever mouse?

OhioGuy

Jan 8, 2008, 7:18:25 AM1/8/08
For the past couple of weeks, I've been trying to catch a mouse that my
wife saw in the kitchen. I put two mouse traps in there, but only one was
messed with - the mouse evidently took its time very, very carefully licking
all of the peanut butter off it it, without even setting it off! It was
licked clean, too, every bit of peanut butter gone.

I put my cat inside in the kitchen for a couple of nights, and for a while
thought maybe it had caught and eaten the mouse. However, this morning when
I walked in the kitchen and turned on the light, the little bugger jumped
off of the countertop and ran back behind the stove.

I'm getting really sick of it. It doesn't seem to be getting into any of
our food on the countertop, because we have it inside glass gallon sized
jars. However, the mouse sure seems to poop and pee a lot up there on the
counter for its size, and I'm tired of having to clean up after it.

Can anyone suggest a better alternative to traditional mousetraps?
Something that will catch a mouse that seems smart and careful enough to
outwit a traditional trap?

max

Jan 8, 2008, 7:56:03 AM1/8/08

try the conventional traps with the big yellow plastic trigger paddle.
Place them in natural choke points. Eventually he'll screw up.

.max

--
The part of betatron @ earthlink . net was played by a garden gnome

Bernardo Gui

Jan 8, 2008, 8:12:05 AM1/8/08

I've had excellent luck with those sticky cards. They are cardboard,
with a very sticky glue on one side. Wal-Mart sells them, as well as
most other grocery and housewares stores. They cost a buck or two.

I put one under the stove and near a known mouse path. It took only a
few hours to catch the beast. He was too smart for traditional traps.
The house has been mouse-free ever since, but I am ready if any more
find a way in...

Bernardo

Logan Shaw

Jan 8, 2008, 9:34:48 AM1/8/08
OhioGuy wrote:
> For the past couple of weeks, I've been trying to catch a mouse that my
> wife saw in the kitchen. I put two mouse traps in there, but only one was
> messed with - the mouse evidently took its time very, very carefully licking
> all of the peanut butter off it it, without even setting it off! It was
> licked clean, too, every bit of peanut butter gone.

Last time I had "a" mouse, it turned out to be 9 of them. It was right
when the weather started getting really cold, so I guess they moved inside
for the heat.

Anyway, I tried several things including traditional traps with cheese
and with peanut butter, and I tried glue traps. None of those worked.
Then I was making bread in my bread machine one day and decided to bait
the trap with bread that had *just* come out. I jammed some down in
there and hid the trap. That worked. It could've been just luck, but
once I got one within 5 minutes of setting out the trap.

Also, I want to echo what someone else said about locating the traps at
choke points. Mice don't like to run out in the open. They like to run
along walls behind furniture, or anywhere else where they can travel
without being seen. So put the traps there.

- Logan

Message has been deleted

Jeff

Jan 8, 2008, 10:37:17 AM1/8/08

The mice traps that the mouse crawls into seem to work very well. My
brother uses them and has no trouble catching mice, sometime he'll have
more than one in the same trap.

Now, he lives near the edge of a valley and dumps the live mice out
in the woods and they simply come back in to get caught again. The mice
never learn. Neither does my brother!

Now, for rats (and mice also), the poison just plain works. And you
don't have to kill the mouse yourself.

For myself, I use the cat method. Cats may bring mice in the house,
but they never make it out alive. Not every cat is up to that, but most
are. In fact nothing lives in the yard that isn't larger than a cat!

Jeff

Al Bundy

Jan 8, 2008, 10:50:13 AM1/8/08

Somehow you have to be smarter than the mouse. I give the mouse a
50/50 chance of dying of old age. Your best hope is that the mouse
doesn't pass all his genes on to his progeny.

Seerialmom

Jan 8, 2008, 1:43:14 PM1/8/08

Ideas:
Put peanut butter in the center of a glue trap.
Put peanut butter on a small piece of cardboard, place in the bottom
of a 19 gallon trash container, be sure to provide means for the
critter to enter the container but the sides will be too tall to
escape.
Look for any entrance holes and plug with steel wool.

Rod Speed

Jan 8, 2008, 1:45:02 PM1/8/08

Poison.

> Something that will catch a mouse that seems smart and careful enough to outwit a traditional trap?

Poison.

Dennis

Jan 8, 2008, 2:04:00 PM1/8/08
On Tue, 8 Jan 2008 07:18:25 -0500, "OhioGuy" <no...@none.net> wrote:
> Can anyone suggest a better alternative to traditional mousetraps?
>Something that will catch a mouse that seems smart and careful enough to
>outwit a traditional trap?

I use the standard spring traps, but I tie a short piece of yarn
around the trigger, then use a toothpick to smear peanutbutter on it,
working it into the fibers of the yarn. The greedy little buggers
will usually tug at the yarn to get the last bit of bait, to their
detriment.

Dennis (evil)
--
The honest man is the one who realizes that he cannot
consume more, in his lifetime, than he produces.

Dennis

Jan 8, 2008, 2:16:47 PM1/8/08
On Tue, 8 Jan 2008 07:18:25 -0500, "OhioGuy" <no...@none.net> wrote:

> Can anyone suggest a better alternative to traditional mousetraps?
>Something that will catch a mouse that seems smart and careful enough to
>outwit a traditional trap?

Here is a different idea: I have a leftover piece of sheet vinyl
flooring stored in my workshop/barn (I'm sure I'll find a use for it
someday :-). In the meantime, it is rolled into a tube-shape about
2.5 ft. tall and stored standing upright on its end in a corner.

Every time I move the tube of flooring (usually rearranging junk or
looking for something else), I find at least one, sometime more, dead
dessicated mice at the bottom of the tube. Apparently, there is
something about it that is irresistable to curious mice.

Dennis (evil)

sno

Jan 8, 2008, 2:38:46 PM1/8/08

Get some chocolate chips....leave some shaved pieces around the trap...
tie one to the trigger with thread....once they get a taste of the
chocolate they seem to lose any caution they may have had....got
rid of a whole family that would not go near any other kind of bait..
or trap......it is important to give them a free taste first....

hope helps...let me know...have fun......sno

Vic Smith

Jan 8, 2008, 2:53:43 PM1/8/08
On Tue, 8 Jan 2008 10:43:14 -0800 (PST), Seerialmom
<seeri...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Look for any entrance holes and plug with steel wool.

Don't waste your time with fine wool. They'll pull it out strand by
strand.

--Vic

George Grapman

Jan 8, 2008, 3:44:20 PM1/8/08
The last time I saw infestation I purchased some glue traps. A few
hours later I heard a rattling sound on the floor. A rat had been caught
and was dragging the trap around. Since he was large and alive I went to
get a 2 by 4 to hit him on the head and at least knock him out. I
returned to the living room to find an empty trap sitting near the wall.
I went out immediately and purchased a dozen of the large poison
bars. The guy at the hardware store said to leave them until there were
no signs of two weeks. The next morning to of the bars were gone and
several others had obviously been chewed on. I never saw another sign of
infestation. Of course, this option is not good if you have pets or
small children.

George Grapman

Jan 8, 2008, 3:48:27 PM1/8/08
Reminds me of an accidental trapping. The plastic towel bar in the
bathroom kept coming out of its holder. One morning it was on the floor
and a a mouse was trapped inside. It was only open on one end so a took
a shopping bag, emptied the mouse into the bag, walked outside to the
storm drain on the corner and deposited the rodent.

Rod Speed

Jan 8, 2008, 4:44:49 PM1/8/08

Its easy enough to put it where its out of the reach of either of those.

Jan 8, 2008, 7:18:10 PM1/8/08
Rod Speed wrote:

>> Of course, this option is not good if you have pets or small children.
>
> Its easy enough to put it where its out of the reach of either of those.

True, but if your cat or small dog catches one before it dies and
consumes it, your cat automatically gets a dose that could be toxic to
the pet.

--
Every job is a self-portrait of the person who does it. Autograph your
work with excellence.

Rod Speed

Jan 8, 2008, 7:55:35 PM1/8/08
Melinda Meahan - take out TRASH to reply <mme...@TRASHsonic.net> wrote
> Rod Speed wrote

>>> Of course, this option is not good if you have pets or small children.

>> Its easy enough to put it where its out of the reach of either of those.

> True, but if your cat or small dog catches one before it dies and consumes it, your cat automatically gets a dose that
> could be toxic to the pet.

Unlikely, because the mouse is much smaller than a cat or dog.

The Real Bev

Jan 8, 2008, 10:53:21 PM1/8/08
max wrote:

Whatever you use, bend something so that it has a hair trigger. They
don't all come from the factory properly-adjusted.

Attach a piece of apple (or cheese, the traditional bait) to the
bait-pad with several windings of thread. Smear the apple with peanut
butter.

For REAL neatness, place the trap business-end facing outward in a brown
paper lunch bag. If you see a tail protruding from the bag, pick the
bag up and throw the whole thing in the trash. If you have to re-use
mousetraps you're in bigger financial trouble than you thought.

--
Cheers, Bev
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

The Real Bev

Jan 8, 2008, 10:55:17 PM1/8/08
Bernardo Gui wrote:

> I've had excellent luck with those sticky cards. They are cardboard,
> with a very sticky glue on one side. Wal-Mart sells them, as well as
> most other grocery and housewares stores. They cost a buck or two.
>
> I put one under the stove and near a known mouse path. It took only a
> few hours to catch the beast. He was too smart for traditional traps.
> The house has been mouse-free ever since, but I am ready if any more
> find a way in...

Did you kill it humanely? Give it to a cat as a toy? Just discard it?
That's the problem with live-catch traps...

The Real Bev

Jan 8, 2008, 11:03:18 PM1/8/08
Dennis wrote:

I asked Smokey the Bear at one of our National Parks why there were
sticks protruding from all the trash cans. He told me that they're
there so that the critters who climb or fall in can escape by climbing
the stick.

Reverse the process: lean a stick against a trashcan containing
something that a mouse will regard as delicious. Perhaps a bit of
cheese and a strawberry...

I can't think of anything better to do with the catch than flush it.
Look upon it as giving the poor city mouse a nice vacation trip to the
seaside.

The Real Bev

Jan 8, 2008, 11:08:12 PM1/8/08
George Grapman wrote:

Around here the wild things use the storm drains as underground railways.

I heard a story about an ex-wife who hid some fish inside each of the
expensive hollow curtain-poles in her ex-husband's home. Theory was
that the ex-husband and his new wife could never find the source of the
ghastly odor, sold their house at a loss and moved the curtain-poles to
their new home...

Probably apocryphal.

Veteran

Jan 8, 2008, 11:48:48 PM1/8/08
In article <EgRgj.3507$pA7....@newssvr25.news.prodigy.net>,
George Grapman <sfge...@paccbell.net> wrote:

and you don't mind the smell as they decompose somewhere in a wall.

--
when you believe the only tool you have is a hammer.
problems tend to look like nails.

Rod Speed

Jan 9, 2008, 12:32:50 AM1/9/08

I've never had any smell at all, they just dehydrate odourlessly.

Ron Peterson

Jan 9, 2008, 12:39:57 AM1/9/08
On Jan 8, 6:18 am, "OhioGuy" <n...@none.net> wrote:

>   Can anyone suggest a better alternative to traditional mousetraps?
> Something that will catch a mouse that seems smart and careful enough to
> outwit a traditional trap?

The Victor 4 way mouse trap works best for me. I use a raison for bait
because it can't be licked off.

--
Ron

timeOday

Jan 8, 2008, 6:14:56 PM1/8/08
The Real Bev wrote:
> max wrote:
>
>> In article <flvpm6$hkl$1...@aioe.org>, "OhioGuy" <no...@none.net> wrote:
>>
>>> Can anyone suggest a better alternative to traditional mousetraps?
>>> Something that will catch a mouse that seems smart and careful enough
>>> to outwit a traditional trap?
>>
>> try the conventional traps with the big yellow plastic trigger paddle.
>> Place them in natural choke points. Eventually he'll screw up.
>
> Whatever you use, bend something so that it has a hair trigger. They
> don't all come from the factory properly-adjusted.

Yes, I was going to recommend NOT getting the plastic ones for just that
reason. You have to get the Victor trap with the metal cheese pedal,
and bend it like Bev said.

I also like to take a chunk from chunky peanut butter and lodge it into
the hole on the "cheese" pedal hoping the mouse will have to pull on it,
though I can't swear that makes a difference.

timeOday

Jan 8, 2008, 6:17:22 PM1/8/08
Logan Shaw wrote:
> Last time I had "a" mouse, it turned out to be 9 of them. It was right
> when the weather started getting really cold, so I guess they moved inside
> for the heat.

I've found when you get a whole family, you know the job is almost done
when you start catching small (baby) mice. Kinda sad but true.

The Real Bev

Jan 9, 2008, 6:34:46 PM1/9/08
Rod Speed wrote:

> Veteran <george...@humboldt1.com> wrote:
>> George Grapman <sfge...@paccbell.net> wrote:
>>
>>> The last time I saw infestation I purchased some glue traps. A few
>>> hours later I heard a rattling sound on the floor. A rat had been
>>> caught and was dragging the trap around. Since he was large and
>>> alive I went to get a 2 by 4 to hit him on the head and at least
>>> knock him out. I returned to the living room to find an empty trap
>>> sitting near the wall. I went out immediately and purchased a
>>> dozen of the large poison
>>> bars. The guy at the hardware store said to leave them until there
>>> were no signs of two weeks. The next morning to of the bars were
>>> gone and several others had obviously been chewed on. I never saw
>>> another sign of infestation. Of course, this option is not good if
>>> you have pets or small children.
>>
>> and you don't mind the smell as they decompose somewhere in a wall.

Theory has it that they develop a raging thirst and run outside to find
water. If you use D-Con, make sure the toilet seat cover is down.

> I've never had any smell at all, they just dehydrate odourlessly.

Did I ever tell you about finding the desiccated mouse in the microwave
oven?

--
Cheers, Bev
66666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666

The Real Bev

Jan 9, 2008, 6:36:47 PM1/9/08
timeOday wrote:

Thread. Works every time. Greedy little bastards can't resist trying
to get every last bit of savory goodness.

The Real Bev

Jan 9, 2008, 6:38:25 PM1/9/08
timeOday wrote:

Like Ben Johnson said -- "Just their tough luck for bein' born cows"
works for mice too.

imascot

Jan 9, 2008, 7:08:42 PM1/9/08
Dennis <dg...@hotmail.com> wrote in news:bei7o3p1ihrginf3f...@4ax.com:

We have an annual problem with mice, too. We have a big metal humane trap that holds 30 mice
(shudder, never had more than one at a time), but we have accidentally found that what works even
better is a bucket with an inch or two of water in it. Might even work better with a rolled up
(waterproof) tube standing upright in it....?

J.

Jan 9, 2008, 7:33:36 PM1/9/08
The Real Bev wrote:

> Theory has it that they develop a raging thirst and run outside to find
> water. If you use D-Con, make sure the toilet seat cover is down.

D-con is warfarin, a blood thinner that basically induces the symptoms
of hemophilia.

Rod Speed

Jan 9, 2008, 7:55:54 PM1/9/08
The Real Bev <bashley1...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Rod Speed wrote:
>
>> Veteran <george...@humboldt1.com> wrote:

>>> and you don't mind the smell as they decompose somewhere in a wall.
>
> Theory has it that they develop a raging thirst and run outside to
> find water. If you use D-Con, make sure the toilet seat cover is
> down.
>> I've never had any smell at all, they just dehydrate odourlessly.
>
> Did I ever tell you about finding the desiccated mouse in the microwave oven?

Nope, and that is more than I want to know.

Scott Fordham

Jan 9, 2008, 8:52:55 PM1/9/08
"The Real Bev" <bashley1...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> Bernardo Gui wrote:
>
>> I've had excellent luck with those sticky cards. They are cardboard,
>> with a very sticky glue on one side. Wal-Mart sells them, as well as
>> most other grocery and housewares stores. They cost a buck or two.
>>
>> I put one under the stove and near a known mouse path. It took only a
>> few hours to catch the beast. He was too smart for traditional traps.
>> The house has been mouse-free ever since, but I am ready if any more
>> find a way in...
>
> Did you kill it humanely? Give it to a cat as a toy? Just discard it?
> That's the problem with live-catch traps...

Humanely? I'm guessing that you've never seen what actually happens to a
mouse that gets caught in one of the traditional type of traps but suffice
it to say that, at least in the cases I've seen, death isn't usually
immediate.

Scott Fordham

Jan 9, 2008, 8:59:18 PM1/9/08
"Veteran" <george...@humboldt1.com> wrote in message

That's what somebody warned me about too, but so far it's never happened to
me -- they've simply disappeared or, in a few cases, I found the bodies
outside.

Like other posters, the poison approach has worked well for me.

George Grapman

Jan 9, 2008, 9:41:41 PM1/9/08
I never saw that rat again,living or dead. A few times
I found dead mice but have never had any odor.
Although I have seen no signs for almost year every so often I put
out the poison bars for a few days. Not even a nibble.

The Real Bev

Jan 9, 2008, 9:48:13 PM1/9/08
Melinda Meahan - take out TRASH to reply wrote:

> The Real Bev wrote:
>>
>> Theory has it that they develop a raging thirst and run outside to find
>> water. If you use D-Con, make sure the toilet seat cover is down.
>
> D-con is warfarin, a blood thinner that basically induces the symptoms
> of hemophilia.

Known as Coumadin when fed to unwanted humans.

--
Cheers, Bev
"I don't care who your father is! Drop that cross

Jan 9, 2008, 11:17:54 PM1/9/08
The Real Bev wrote:

>> D-con is warfarin, a blood thinner that basically induces the symptoms
>> of hemophilia.
>
> Known as Coumadin when fed to unwanted humans.

Or people with atrial fibrillation, embolic strokes, DVT, etc.

Gary Heston

Jan 9, 2008, 11:42:11 PM1/9/08
In article <9bSdnYDqzceW-hna...@comcast.com>,

Once, my mother had a mouse problem; I set four traps in her utility room.
Later, I found three traps with dead mice and no bait; the fourth had both
bait and mouse. That was a clear indication there were none left. Contrary
to what the manufacturers say, the scents on a mousetrap don't deter them.
They'll raid the bait with a dead sibling within an inch.

Gary

--
Gary Heston ghe...@hiwaay.net http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/

Yoko Onos' former driver tried to extort $2M from her, threating to
"release embarassing recordings...". What, he has a copy of her album?

ChairMan

Jan 9, 2008, 11:42:07 PM1/9/08
In news:%MXgj.342$fe....@newsfe05.lga,
The Real Bev <bashley1...@gmail.com>spewed forth:

ya mean this story?

After 17 years of marriage, a man dumped his wife for
his young secretary. His new girlfriend demanded that
she wanted to live in the couple's multimillion dollar
home, and since the man's lawyers were a little better,
he prevailed. He gave his now ex-wife just 3 days to move out.
She spent the first day packing her belongings into
boxes, crates and suitcases.
One the second day, she had the movers come and
collect her things.
On the third day, she sat down for the last time at
their beautiful dining room table by candlelight, put
on some soft background music, and feasted on a pound
of shrimp, a jar of caviar, and a bottle of Chardonnay.
When she had finished, she went into each and every
room and deposited a few half-eaten shrimp shells,
dipped in caviar, into the hollow of the curtain rods.
She then cleaned up the kitchen and left.
When the husband returned with his new girlfriend, all
was bliss for the first few days. Then slowly, the
house began to smell. They tried everything; cleaning
& mopping and airing the place out. Vents were
checked for dead rodents, and carpets were steam
cleaned. Air fresheners were hung everywhere.
Exterminators were brought in to set off gas
canisters, during which they had to move out for a few
days, and in the end they even paid to replace the
expensive wool carpeting. Nothing worked. People
stopped coming over to visit...Repairmen refused to
work in the house...The maid quit...Finally, they
could not take the stench any longer and decided to move.
A month later, even though they had cut their price in
half, they could not find a buyer for their stinky
house. Word got out, and eventually, even the local
realtors refused to return their calls.
Finally, they had to borrow a huge sum of money from
the bank to purchase a new place. The ex-wife called
the man, and asked how things were going. He told her
the saga of the rotting house. She listened
politely, and said that she missed her old home
terribly, and would be willing to reduce her divorce
settlement in exchange for getting the house back...
Knowing his ex-wife had no idea how bad the smell was,
he agreed on a price that was about 1/10th of what the
house had been worth...But only if she were to sign
the papers that very day. She agreed, and within the
hour, his lawyers delivered the paperwork.
A week later, the man and his new girlfriend stood
smirking as they watched the moving company pack
everything to take to their new home...

...including the curtain rods.

Nicik Name

Jan 9, 2008, 11:43:42 PM1/9/08

"OhioGuy" <no...@none.net> wrote in message news:flvpm6$hkl$1...@aioe.org...
> For the past couple of weeks, I've been trying to catch a mouse that my
> wife saw in the kitchen. I put two mouse traps in there, but only one was
> messed with - the mouse evidently took its time very, very carefully
> licking all of the peanut butter off it it, without even setting it off!
> It was licked clean, too, every bit of peanut butter gone.
>
> I put my cat inside in the kitchen for a couple of nights, and for a
> while thought maybe it had caught and eaten the mouse. However, this
> morning when I walked in the kitchen and turned on the light, the little
> bugger jumped off of the countertop and ran back behind the stove.
>
> I'm getting really sick of it. It doesn't seem to be getting into any of
> our food on the countertop, because we have it inside glass gallon sized
> jars. However, the mouse sure seems to poop and pee a lot up there on the
> counter for its size, and I'm tired of having to clean up after it.

> Can anyone suggest a better alternative to traditional mousetraps?
> Something that will catch a mouse that seems smart and careful enough to
> outwit a traditional trap?
you need a good mouser cat...........ask around

The Real Bev

Jan 9, 2008, 11:58:27 PM1/9/08
ChairMan wrote:

> The Real Bev <bashley1...@gmail.com>spewed forth:
>>

>> I heard a story about an ex-wife who hid some fish inside each of the
>> expensive hollow curtain-poles in her ex-husband's home. Theory was
>> that the ex-husband and his new wife could never find the source of
>> the ghastly odor, sold their house at a loss and moved the
>> curtain-poles to their new home...
>>
>> Probably apocryphal.
>
> ya mean this story?
>
> After 17 years of marriage, a man dumped his wife for
> his young secretary. His new girlfriend demanded that
> she wanted to live in the couple's multimillion dollar
> home, and since the man's lawyers were a little better,

> he prevailed...
> ...A week later, the man and his new girlfriend stood

> smirking as they watched the moving company pack
> everything to take to their new home...
>
> ...including the curtain rods.

Yup, that's the one!

--
Cheers,
Bev

George Grapman

Jan 10, 2008, 11:57:17 AM1/10/08
The Real Bev wrote:
> ChairMan wrote:
>
>> The Real Bev <bashley1...@gmail.com>spewed forth:
>>>
>>> I heard a story about an ex-wife who hid some fish inside each of the
>>> expensive hollow curtain-poles in her ex-husband's home. Theory was
>>> that the ex-husband and his new wife could never find the source of
>>> the ghastly odor, sold their house at a loss and moved the
>>> curtain-poles to their new home...
>>>
>>> Probably apocryphal.
>>
>> ya mean this story?
>>
>> After 17 years of marriage, a man dumped his wife for
>> his young secretary. His new girlfriend demanded that
>> she wanted to live in the couple's multimillion dollar
>> home, and since the man's lawyers were a little better,
>> he prevailed... ...A week later, the man and his new girlfriend stood
>> smirking as they watched the moving company pack
>> everything to take to their new home...
>>
>> ...including the curtain rods.
>
> Yup, that's the one!

Reminds me of another urban legend. American business man living in
London decides to dump his girl friend. He tells her he is going home
for a week and expects her to be gone when he returns.
During the trip he worries what she might do or steal. He returns and
finds the phone is off the hook and figures no big deal. His next phone
bill shows a 130 hour call to the time number in New York.
I could relate to this. I had a lady from Texas living with me and
decided it was time for her to move on. She was set to move on a work
day. During the day I called several times to see how things were going
and each time got a busy signal. This was when long distance calls,
especially in the day, were costly and I envisioned a 6 hour call on my
bill. When I got home there was a thank you note and the phone was on
the floor. My dog had knocked it off the coffee table.

Dennis

Jan 10, 2008, 3:58:55 PM1/10/08
On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 04:42:11 -0000, ghe...@hiwaay.net (Gary Heston)
wrote:

>Once, my mother had a mouse problem; I set four traps in her utility room.
>Later, I found three traps with dead mice and no bait; the fourth had both
>bait and mouse. That was a clear indication there were none left. Contrary
>to what the manufacturers say, the scents on a mousetrap don't deter them.
>They'll raid the bait with a dead sibling within an inch.

No argument regarding the sentiments of mice :-). However I have on
many occasions found unsprung traps with the bait gone. The little
buggers must have an incredibly light touch, since I cannot contact
the trigger of the trap with a straw lightly enough to avoid springing
the trap.

Dennis (evil)
--
The honest man is the one who realizes that he cannot
consume more, in his lifetime, than he produces.

P T

Jan 10, 2008, 9:40:58 PM1/10/08
Trapping requires perseverance and discarding the tactics that don't
work.

Trappers' tales:

Inadvertently I caught a chipmunk. I had a 5 gallon pail in the yard
with about six inches of water in it (to pour on the grass-killing urine
from my dog.) One day a chipmunk hopped up onto it, I suppose expecting
a flat surface on top. It couldn't climb out the slippery sides, and
the water was enough I guess to prevent it from leaping out. The water
level was not over his head really, but high enough that I suppose he
panicked and thrashed about, finally succumbing.

I had what I thought was a mouse living in my garage about 3 months ago.
After he took an entire roll of paper towels and tore it into little
pieces and stuffed it in the rafters, I knew he had to go. I knew he
liked paper towels, so I hung a roll over one of those four-foot high
trash cans. Then I covered the top of the trash can with toilet paper,
and created a pathway to run to the top of the trash can. Sort of like
an African lion trap. In a couple of days he tore off the toilet paper,
and swiped some of the paper towels too. Obviously he was a
mutant-genius rodent.

Then I bought a live trap. It took several days, and I tried several
baits, none of which seemed effective. Eventually I just put the trap
where he hung out, judging by nut shells. One day I came out and I had
trapped a red squirrel, but he was dead. His death is a mystery, as I
think he was in the cage no more than 24 hours.

After a few days I realized there was another varmint in the garage. I
caught another red squirrel, and found him before he died. A neighbor,
who told me you have to release them 5 miles away, took a fancy to him,
and asked me to release him in his back yard. Be serious. I released
him at a nature preserve, although I bet he saw the homes nearby and
headed for them.

The Real Bev

Jan 11, 2008, 1:48:12 AM1/11/08
Dennis wrote:

> On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 04:42:11 -0000, ghe...@hiwaay.net (Gary Heston)
> wrote:
>
>>Once, my mother had a mouse problem; I set four traps in her utility room.
>>Later, I found three traps with dead mice and no bait; the fourth had both
>>bait and mouse. That was a clear indication there were none left. Contrary
>>to what the manufacturers say, the scents on a mousetrap don't deter them.
>>They'll raid the bait with a dead sibling within an inch.
>
> No argument regarding the sentiments of mice :-). However I have on
> many occasions found unsprung traps with the bait gone. The little
> buggers must have an incredibly light touch, since I cannot contact
> the trigger of the trap with a straw lightly enough to avoid springing
> the trap.

Maybe they subcontracted the job to the roaches.

--
Cheers,
Bev

J T

Jan 12, 2008, 7:49:55 AM1/12/08
This year, I've found the D-con black covered mouse traps most reliable.
Mouse has to go in hole, starts to lick peanut butter which sensitive
enough to provide stronger trap to release.

In previous years, I've used the rat zapper. This year I finally
figured out where they were entering my apt. In the bedroom closet
which contains the water heater. Caught all in there.

Turns out I started getting mice 5 years ago after they changed the
water heater. Finally, in front of my nose I found the hole. They had
sawed a hole in the wall for the water heaters power silver rectangle
box. It had a nice narrow crack beside it. I covered with duct tape.
I haven't had a mouse since.

Good luck. I suggest keep experimenting with low cost traps. I'd get
the tiniest mice as only they can fit through the crack and therefore
can lick off the peanut butter on traps they can see. (?)

JT

Stormin Mormon

Mar 18, 2008, 9:42:28 PM3/18/08
What is a raison?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Ron Peterson" <r...@shell.core.com> wrote in message

Logan Shaw

Mar 20, 2008, 12:23:03 AM3/20/08
Stormin Mormon wrote:
> What is a raison?

It's French for "reason", you know, like "raison d'etre".

By the way, you keep quoting other articles in such a way that
they become part of your signature. Looks really weird on my
newsreader, where they're rendered in the same font reserved
for signature. (Which is logical since, syntactically, it is
one.)

- Logan

alicedry...@gmail.com

Jun 16, 2016, 2:53:05 AM6/16/16
I went lowei bought RESL KILL GLUE TARPS 2 I A BOX WE PUT THE TRAPS THE LONG WAY UNDER THE KITCHEN SICK ON THE FLOOR AND WE WE GO ONE

alicedry...@gmail.com

Jun 16, 2016, 2:57:37 AM6/16/16
I meant home depo it has on the BOX for rats and mice call REAL KILL.

Michael Black

Jun 17, 2016, 2:48:57 PM6/17/16
On Wed, 15 Jun 2016, alicedry...@gmail.com wrote:

> I went lowei bought RESL KILL GLUE TARPS 2 I A BOX WE PUT THE TRAPS THE
> LONG WAY UNDER THE KITCHEN SICK ON THE FLOOR AND WE WE GO ONE

I once caught a mouse.

It wsa in the basement, I went down to get something from the freezer and
I noticed a big ball of lint in the sink (that feeds the washing machine).
I pick it up, it moves, it's not lint. It's a mouse. Somehow got down
there, then couldn't get up the steep walls of the sink. I thought about
it, and got a jar, and got the mouse to climb in. I put a lid on it, went
outside, and let the mouse hop away. Though I figure he may have
immediately tried to get back into the house.

My sister caught a mouse by leaving the lobster pot out overnight still
full of water. The mouse got in, and was found floating in the pot the
next day.

Michael

The Real Bev

Jun 17, 2016, 6:09:53 PM6/17/16
On 06/17/2016 11:50 AM, Michael Black wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Jun 2016, alicedry...@gmail.com wrote:
>
>> I went lowei bought RESL KILL GLUE TARPS 2 I A BOX WE PUT THE TRAPS THE
>> LONG WAY UNDER THE KITCHEN SICK ON THE FLOOR AND WE WE GO ONE
>>
> I once caught a mouse.
>
> It wsa in the basement, I went down to get something from the freezer and
> I noticed a big ball of lint in the sink (that feeds the washing machine).
> I pick it up, it moves, it's not lint. It's a mouse. Somehow got down
> there, then couldn't get up the steep walls of the sink. I thought about
> it, and got a jar, and got the mouse to climb in. I put a lid on it, went
> outside, and let the mouse hop away. Though I figure he may have
> immediately tried to get back into the house.

I used one of those little plastic tip-traps to catch one at work. I
gave the container to the maintenance guy, who took it outside and
either let it go or squashed it flat. I didn't want to know. Not my
problem.

> My sister caught a mouse by leaving the lobster pot out overnight still
> full of water. The mouse got in, and was found floating in the pot the
> next day.

I favor the old-fashioned spring traps. First, you need to adjust it so
it has an almost-hair trigger -- they come from the factory with various
pressures due to piss-poor quality control. The best bait I found was a
small piece of fruit attached to the bait platform with a few windings
of thread and some peanut butter smeared over it. Place it right next
to a wall -- they like to run along the edges rather than out through
the middle of the room. If you're squeamish, put the trap in a small
paper bag. If you see a tail sticking out in the morning you can just
throw the whole thing away. Yeah, I know, they're reusable. But not by
me.

I once picked one up where the mouse had just been caught by the snout,
and he JUMPED. Sorry to say I inhumanely threw him into the trash
without administering any sort of coup de grace whatsoever. His dumb
luck for being born a mouse.

--
Cheers, Bev
==================================

24dc...@madisonstudent.org

Sep 24, 2017, 1:31:23 PM9/24/17
im sorry but i have the same problem but u just gave me a new idea so thx for that! I wish i could help!

lacibin...@gmail.com

Jan 26, 2018, 8:27:22 AM1/26/18
You don't have to kill the mice. There are plenty of traps made to catch them so you can take them outside or down the road in the woods. You may also watch videos that tell you how to make your own or order them online or at your local hardware store or Walmart. I made one and it worked. If you don't understand why one should catch and release, read up on PETA. There is no way I will kill another animal if it can be helped, nor will I eat their meat knowing how they are abused and killed to get to market. I even catch and release insects, including spiders, and I'm a 67 year old woman. They deserve to live out their lives as we do. They are only trying to get out of the cold, just as we do, and their pain is equal to ours.

pater.d...@gmail.com

Feb 8, 2018, 7:43:03 AM2/8/18
On Friday, January 26, 2018 at 6:27:22 AM UTC-7, lacibin...@gmail.com wrote:
> You don't have to kill the mice. There are plenty of traps made to catch them so you can take them outside or down the road in the woods. You may also watch videos that tell you how to make your own or order them online or at your local hardware store or Walmart. I made one and it worked. If you don't understand why one should catch and release, read up on PETA. There is no way I will kill another animal if it can be helped, nor will I eat their meat knowing how they are abused and killed to get to market. I even catch and release insects, including spiders, and I'm a 67 year old woman. They deserve to live out their lives as we do. They are only trying to get out of the cold, just as we do, and their pain is equal to ours.

On Friday, January 26, 2018 at 6:27:22 AM UTC-7, lacibin...@gmail.com wrote:
> You don't have to kill the mice. There are plenty of traps made to catch them so you can take them outside or down the road in the woods. You may also watch videos that tell you how to make your own or order them online or at your local hardware store or Walmart. I made one and it worked. If you don't understand why one should catch and release, read up on PETA. There is no way I will kill another animal if it can be helped, nor will I eat their meat knowing how they are abused and killed to get to market. I even catch and release insects, including spiders, and I'm a 67 year old woman. They deserve to live out their lives as we do. They are only trying to get out of the cold, just as we do, and their pain is equal to ours.

I'm sorry but no...just no. First off you need to read up more on PETA yourself. Look up what they do with all the animals they "rescue". Look up how they treat cultures and people whose lives depend on hunting. In my opinion, PETA is quite literally a hypocritical terrorist organization whose whole reason for existing is not to save animals on earth but to do one thing - make money, just like every other greedy human. Finally, if a mouse is going to come into my home in the winter then it's going to die in a trap. Natural selection.

asiamarketi...@gmail.com

Mar 4, 2018, 3:47:38 PM3/4/18
On Tuesday, January 8, 2008 at 2:04:00 PM UTC-5, Dennis wrote:
> On Tue, 8 Jan 2008 07:18:25 -0500, "OhioGuy" <no...@none.net> wrote:
> > Can anyone suggest a better alternative to traditional mousetraps?
> >Something that will catch a mouse that seems smart and careful enough to
> >outwit a traditional trap?
>
> I use the standard spring traps, but I tie a short piece of yarn
> around the trigger, then use a toothpick to smear peanutbutter on it,
> working it into the fibers of the yarn. The greedy little buggers
> will usually tug at the yarn to get the last bit of bait, to their
> detriment.
>
> Dennis (evil)
> --
> The honest man is the one who realizes that he cannot
> consume more, in his lifetime, than he produces.

I appreciate the footnote regarding the 'honest man'. I agree.

anthona

Dec 13, 2018, 7:48:20 PM12/13/18
On Tuesday, January 8, 2008 at 7:18:25 AM UTC-5, OhioGuy wrote:
> For the past couple of weeks, I've been trying to catch a mouse that my
> wife saw in the kitchen. I put two mouse traps in there, but only one was
> messed with - the mouse evidently took its time very, very carefully licking
> all of the peanut butter off it it, without even setting it off! It was
> licked clean, too, every bit of peanut butter gone.
>
> I put my cat inside in the kitchen for a couple of nights, and for a while
> thought maybe it had caught and eaten the mouse. However, this morning when
> I walked in the kitchen and turned on the light, the little bugger jumped
> off of the countertop and ran back behind the stove.
>
> I'm getting really sick of it. It doesn't seem to be getting into any of
> our food on the countertop, because we have it inside glass gallon sized
> jars. However, the mouse sure seems to poop and pee a lot up there on the
> counter for its size, and I'm tired of having to clean up after it.
>
> Can anyone suggest a better alternative to traditional mousetraps?
> Something that will catch a mouse that seems smart and careful enough to
> outwit a traditional trap?

How can u get rid of it if u keep feeding it food that it loves? Also, what makes you think its the same mouse? They are known to multiply like crazy. I read somewhere that if you feed it instant potatos, they go back to wherever they go and choke to death. Reminder do not cook the instant potato, just as it comes out of the box.