Living w/o Electricity

E. Diane Pask

Nov 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/1/97

Are the people with the alternative power sources living on acreages?
Are the Alternatives solar heat?

This is an interesting thread. I live in a medium sized city(700
000)and
we have camping and cold weather clothing, sleeping bags,etc. In the
winter the car always has emergency stuff(bag, candles, short term
rations eg chocolate, trail mix.)

However, i'm not sure how to retrofit for alternative energy sources in
a city. Ideas?

Diane

Elaine Gallegos

Nov 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/1/97

E. Diane Pask <dp...@acs.ucalgary.ca> wrote:
: Are the people with the alternative power sources living on acreages?
: Are the Alternatives solar heat?

Yes, I recently got a solar greenhouse book. It seems that the solar
greenhouse can heat a space twice the size of the greenhouse. Naturally,
you can also use it to grow veggies.
Additionally, if you build a tank, the house's greywater can be stored
there. The greywater is almost always hot. This turns out to be an
excellent source of heat for the residence.
If the pond is constructed in such a way that sunlight also hits, the
pond will absorb heat during the day, and release it slowly all night.
This is called thermal mass.
Some additonal thoughts on this subject are 1. drying clothes indoors.
The air should be kept moist. It's good for both plants and people. I plan
to have an air clothes drying area that is sheltered from direct view.
This will add moisture to the air while drying my clothes for free. I'll
also probably vent the clothes dryer into the residence. This is normally
only to finish drying clothes completely, or to fluff.

: This is an interesting thread. I live in a medium sized city(700

: 000)and
: we have camping and cold weather clothing, sleeping bags,etc. In the
: winter the car always has emergency stuff(bag, candles, short term
: rations eg chocolate, trail mix.)

: However, i'm not sure how to retrofit for alternative energy sources in
: a city. Ideas?

: Diane

Elaine Gallegos
sat...@primenet.com

BD

Nov 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/1/97

Fluff, alright... About 30 minutes of use/wear is normally enough to get rid
of the cardboard feel..
When not, wear it as a 'badge of honor'..<grin>
I've went yrs without a dryer at all.
Because I'm single, I can simply drape my clothes over the shower-curtain
rod, towel-hangers, etc in the bathroom before going to work...
Laverne-n-Shirley style, of course!

Allen G

Nov 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/2/97
to dp...@acs.ucalgary.ca

E. Diane Pask wrote:

> Are the people with the alternative power sources living on acreages?
> Are the Alternatives solar heat?
>

> However, i'm not sure how to retrofit for alternative energy sources in
> a city. Ideas?

Find "Real Goods" in Northern California, I'm sure they have a web site.
They have whole systems and kits, and small projects, (along with a
whole catalogue of alternate lifestyle products.) You can get everything
you need to live off the grid, from collecting your own solar power,
storage, voltage converters. They have 12 volt electronics including a
VCR. Also, full size propane refrigerators.

Two cavets: Their stuff is rather retail and they sell "alternative"
things that are cloaked in folk lore, but consumer advocates claim are
outright frauds, like those "laundry disks" -no need for soap, bullshit.

another newsgroup to check would be rec.outdoors.rv-travel There are
lots of full timers there with advice for those who don't have power
cause they're on wheels.