Sams and costco pricing codes

1 view

yabooo

Mar 2, 2004, 12:15:10 AM3/2/04
I was watching TV one night and on a news show there was a segment
with Clark Howard, the consumer guru. One of the things that I
remember was that at Sam's club, any item ending in 91 cents was being
sold below Sam's club cost to purchase the item. While I can't deny
that when I see a XX.91 price it is always exceptional but I have
noticed through personal experience that any price that ends in 1 (ie
XX.Y1) seems to be a reduction in its normal price. I frequently see a
lot of XX.81 prices that seem great. Am I imagining this or is it
true? Does any know the sam's pricing code system and what all the
various cent codes mean?

At Costco the great prices seem to end in 77 and better than normal
prices seem to end in 97. Is this true and are there any other pricing
schemes I should be looking for?

Steve

Mar 2, 2004, 11:51:22 AM3/2/04
I can't imagine why these large retailers would need or want to have a
secret price code displayed on the price tag..

Do you think they do this so their favored customers know what to buy and
what to pass up?? Nah!

If the they are going to have a secret price scheme for management, there
are plenty of ways to keep it concealed in the computer.

We all know why merchants set prices at $X.99 or $x.95, to let the customer
think in terms of X, disregarding the .99 and .95. Old trick that has been
around for 100 years.

I suspect that the odd ball prices that are somewhat lower, say $x.77 or
$x.81, are the result of a basic markup calculation and have nothing to do
with any skeme.

--
My opinion and experience. FWIW

Melissa

Mar 2, 2004, 4:00:55 PM3/2/04
We know someone who works at a local Sam's Club. There is a "code" of sorts
in their pricing. I don't remember all the details, but prices ending in
".91" usually mean that the item was being discontinued etc. It had to do
with how their computer's sorted numbers etc. It's been a while since we
talked about it, so I don't remember all the different "cents" and what they
meant. But they do mean something for those who control the inventory.

Melissa

"Steve" <est...@hctc.com> wrote in message

Brian

Mar 2, 2004, 8:19:54 PM3/2/04
"Steve" <est...@hctc.com> wrote in message news:<T7qdnRPILY2...@whidbeytel.com>...

When I worked at a discount retailer (long ago, they are out of
business) x.99 was a regular or sale price. x.97 was an in-store
permanent markdown. x.88 was reserved for front page of the circular
items (door busters). Don't know why.

Steve

Mar 2, 2004, 8:53:48 PM3/2/04
If this is a coding system, then my question would still have to be, Who are
they trying to communicate with?? The shelf stockers, the warehouse people,
the cashiers or to a special group of customers??

I still think it's a myth..

Steve

mike

Mar 3, 2004, 1:37:22 AM3/3/04

"Brian" <lostint...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "Steve" <est...@hctc.com> wrote in message
> > I can't imagine why these large retailers would need or want to have a
> > secret price code displayed on the price tag..
> >
> > Do you think they do this so their favored customers know what to buy
and
> > what to pass up?? Nah!

merely internal record keeping. to see how many sold at the markdown price
vs the regular one.

> > If the they are going to have a secret price scheme for management,
there
> > are plenty of ways to keep it concealed in the computer.

but for the people putting the stuff on the floor, a price tag ending with a
.77 lets em know not to expect any more and that the few that are left might
be ok to stack on another pallet with other stuff until they run out
totally.

> > We all know why merchants set prices at $X.99 or $x.95, to let the
customer
> > think in terms of X, disregarding the .99 and .95. Old trick that has
been
> > around for 100 years.
> >
> > I suspect that the odd ball prices that are somewhat lower, say $x.77 or
> > $x.81, are the result of a basic markup calculation and have nothing to
do
> > with any skeme.

well, look at the stuff that ends in .77 then see if there are any left when
you make it back there.

mike

Mar 3, 2004, 1:38:58 AM3/3/04

> If this is a coding system, then my question would still have to be, Who
are
> they trying to communicate with?? The shelf stockers, the warehouse
people,
> the cashiers or to a special group of customers??

the first 3 groups. i think sams puts a "one time purchase" sign on stuff
they know they arent getting back in.

> I still think it's a myth..

youd be wrong.

ERIC ANDERSSON

Mar 6, 2004, 12:17:30 AM3/6/04

At Staples Canada, prices ending with .97 are clearance items.

At Real Canadian Superstore (Loblaw's), the shelf stickers will tell
you when an item is discontinued with **DISC** or clearance with
**CLEAR**.

I used to work in a position that designs planograms for shelf
stockers. Planograms are guides for the stockers to allocate products
according to corporat standards. The prices would help me phase out
discontinued products and planned the shelves as necessary.

By the way, many national companies pay good money to the stores I
work for to have great product placements. Many national brands are
on shelf 2 and 3 (the second and third rows).

Hope that this helps.

SA

Mar 9, 2004, 2:18:54 AM3/9/04
In article <T7qdnRPILY2...@whidbeytel.com>,
"Steve" <est...@hctc.com> wrote:

In fact, research shows consumers would rather pay $42.95 even than $42
not just $43