Latent Variable Estimation

Daniel Davis

Dec 2, 2017, 6:06:39 PM12/2/17
to mirt-package
For the mirt function if you put a regression equation into the formula part what is it doing differently than estimating latent variable scores and then running a regression separately? To put this question another way I know you can theoretically run a regression with the whole distribution of a latent variable instead of just point estimates, like a MIMIC model, is that what this does? Thanks.

Phil Chalmers

Dec 2, 2017, 10:42:14 PM12/2/17
to Daniel Davis, mirt-package
Yes, it's exactly like what the MIMIC model does. The estimation of the parameters is baked-in to the likelihood equations, which is why likelihood ratio tests are also possible in mirt.

Phil

On Sat, Dec 2, 2017 at 6:06 PM, Daniel Davis <iamdanth...@gmail.com> wrote:
For the mirt function if you put a regression equation into the formula part what is it doing differently than estimating latent variable scores and then running a regression separately? To put this question another way I know you can theoretically run a regression with the whole distribution of a latent variable instead of just point estimates, like a MIMIC model, is that what this does? Thanks.

Daniel Davis

Dec 4, 2017, 1:17:00 PM12/4/17
to mirt-package
Thanks that helps a lot.