empiricalhist to simulate latent thetas

Elia Emmers

Jul 24, 2017, 3:07:47 PM7/24/17
to mirt-package
Hello Phil! Quick question. I've been using the empiricalhist=TRUE option to look at how the latent theta looks like. If I wanted to get a better approximation to this distirbution, would increasing the number of quadrature points be the only way? And, is there a way to have access to the table that contains the data on the 'E' step from the EM algorithm to try and fit a distribution to it?

Phil Chalmers

Jul 25, 2017, 3:48:59 PM7/25/17
to Elia Emmers, mirt-package
On Mon, Jul 24, 2017 at 3:07 PM, Elia Emmers <eliae...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello Phil! Quick question. I've been using the empiricalhist=TRUE option to look at how the latent theta looks like. If I wanted to get a better approximation to this distirbution, would increasing the number of quadrature points be the only way?

Yes and no. Each empirical quadrature is really another estimated parameter in the model, so there comes a point where creating a smooth distribution is infeasible. This is generally why empirical histogram models have difficulty converging (that, and they aren't always so stable).

Sure, you should be able to extract the component from the x@Internals$Prior[[1L]] slot. HTH.