Can't the MHRM calculate information matrix in the model for MI estimation?

Seongho Bae

Mar 26, 2015, 6:55:49 PM3/26/15
to mirt-p...@googlegroups.com
Dear Phil,

Can't the MHRM calculate information matrix in the model for MI estimation?

mod <- mirt(Science, 1, SE=TRUE)
fscores(mod, MI = 30) # work

mod <- mirt(Science, 1, SE=TRUE, method = 'QMCEM')
fscores(mod, MI = 30) # work

mod <- mirt(Science, 1, SE=TRUE, method = 'MHRM')
fscores(mod, MI = 30) # doesn't work

--
Seongho Bae

Phil Chalmers

Mar 26, 2015, 7:06:14 PM3/26/15
to Seongho Bae, mirt-package
The MHRM information matrix isn't always the most stable, try dropping the SEtol default like so to make it run longer and stabilize:

mod <- mirt(Science, 1, SE=TRUE, method = 'MHRM', technical = list(SEtol = 1e-4))
fscores(mod, MI=30)

Phil

Seongho Bae

Mar 27, 2015, 7:02:12 AM3/27/15
to mirt-p...@googlegroups.com, seongh...@gmail.com
Okay, Thanks for your advices. :)

Anyway, MHRM with dropping the SEtol 1e-5 were too slow. I was failed to get a stable result 1e-4 condition, I can not get any results even waiting 7 hours with just polytomous 5 items 1e-5 condition. Is this normal situation?

2015년 3월 27일 금요일 오전 8시 6분 14초 UTC+9, Phil Chalmers 님의 말:

Phil Chalmers

Mar 27, 2015, 11:26:51 AM3/27/15
to Seongho Bae, mirt-package
It's possible, but it's also a function of how stable the information matrix is in the first place. More unstable (i.e., a flat log-likelihood function) models take a lot longer to stabilize, so if your model is very complicated and the sample size is smaller, then you may have great difficulty in reaching a stable estimate.

Phil