Development of Short Form Scale using mirt package

Yuen Wan Ho

Mar 12, 2015, 11:56:31 PM3/12/15
to mirt-p...@googlegroups.com
I am new to IRT. At the moment, I am developing a short scale. I have some questions in using mirt package for scale development.

In my project, the response format of the full scale is dichotomous. There is only 1 factor in this full scale, with 7 sub-scales. Each sub-scale has 10 items (i.e. in total 70 items).

I read your paper (mirt: A Multidimensional Item Response Theory Package for the R Environment), I saw your example 4.1 with the mirt ( ) function. It appears that the results of mirt ( ) are similar to the results of traditional factor analysis.

For the steps of developing the short scale, I wonder whether I can select items with the high item-total correlation from each sub-scale in the original  data set to form the short scale first. Then I split the original data set into two and conduct mirt ( ) in each split data set to examine the factor structure of the short scale between split data set.

Finally, I want to examine the goodness of fit of the short scale. When I type M2, I find additional indicators for RMSEA: RMSEA_5 and RMSEA95 , what are the differences among RMSEA RMSEA_5 and RMSEA95?

Thanks alot for your help!

Phil Chalmers

Mar 13, 2015, 9:39:21 AM3/13/15
to Yuen Wan Ho, mirt-package
On Thu, Mar 12, 2015 at 11:56 PM, Yuen Wan Ho <spoo...@gmail.com> wrote:
I am new to IRT. At the moment, I am developing a short scale. I have some questions in using mirt package for scale development.

In my project, the response format of the full scale is dichotomous. There is only 1 factor in this full scale, with 7 sub-scales. Each sub-scale has 10 items (i.e. in total 70 items).

You may want to look into the bfactor() function if those subscales have residual covariation.

I read your paper (mirt: A Multidimensional Item Response Theory Package for the R Environment), I saw your example 4.1 with the mirt ( ) function. It appears that the results of mirt ( ) are similar to the results of traditional factor analysis.

Indeed it is a full information item factor analysis, and when the IRT model used is the graded response model (2PL as a special case) then then MIRT and factor analysis with a polychoric matrix (with weights applied) are asymptotically equivalent. Other for IRT models this isn't true though.

For the steps of developing the short scale, I wonder whether I can select items with the high item-total correlation from each sub-scale in the original  data set to form the short scale first. Then I split the original data set into two and conduct mirt ( ) in each split data set to examine the factor structure of the short scale between split data set.

You could, but I generally prefer looking at all items at once in exploratory models and weeding things out from there.

Finally, I want to examine the goodness of fit of the short scale. When I type M2, I find additional indicators for RMSEA: RMSEA_5 and RMSEA95 , what are the differences among RMSEA RMSEA_5 and RMSEA95?

90% confidence interval for the RMSEA version with the M2 statistic. Cheers.

Phil

Thanks alot for your help!