Multidimensional bi-factor model with multinomial data

Mustafa Yildiz

Oct 15, 2015, 2:13:01 PM10/15/15
to mirt-package
Hello Phillip,

I am trying to model a two-tier multinomial item bifactor model using your Mirt package. I have a few questions.
1-is it possible to have a two tier bi factor model on an achievement test where only correct responses build the general factor whereas only some certain incorrect responses make up all the specific factors (Those certain incorrect options will be latent variables that we will call 'misconception of learning')?
2-Could R-mirt be programmed for that purpose? If so, how? Does it require a certain data layout (like dummy variables), or is it OK to have standard multiple choice dataset layout? Thanks in advance. Mustafa Yildiz

Phil Chalmers

Oct 15, 2015, 3:25:30 PM10/15/15
to Mustafa Yildiz, mirt-package
Hi Mustafa,

Can you describe a bit more about what you mean by 'misconception of learning'? To me what you are describing sounds like a unidimensional model, where if a persons ability is too low then they will simply answer one of the distractor terms instead of the correct answer (in which case, the nested-logit model in mirt may be useful).

Phil