Should we control for latent group differences or not?

Nikos Tsigilis

May 26, 2017, 5:13:10 AM5/26/17
to mirt-package
mirt is very flexible program and there is the option to control for latent group differences or not when someone examines DIF. So what is the rationale for controlling for latent group differences or not, and what is the effect on DIF results and item parameters?

Phil Chalmers

May 26, 2017, 10:42:52 AM5/26/17
to Nikos Tsigilis, mirt-package
DIF is defined as

P(y | G1, θ) ≠ P(y | G2, θ)

Or, the probability of the response in both groups at the same θ level is not the same. The "at the same θ level" part is the reason for estimating the mean-variance of the focal groups. You wouldn't conclude there is bias in an item if one group happens to have higher ability than another group (e.g., a first year high-school math class versus a second year high-school math class on the same test. You would expect the second year to have higher ability....but that doesn't mean bias).

Freeing the hyper-parameters effectively changes the metric of the item parameters by placing the global differences in the hyper parameters rather than the IRT parameters. If there were a sufficient number of anchor items used, then the remainder of the IRT parameters will theoretically be on the same scale across groups (not perfectly, but they should be unbiased, enough to statistically test for bias).

Phil

On Fri, May 26, 2017 at 5:13 AM, 'Nikos Tsigilis' via mirt-package <mirt-p...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
mirt is very flexible program and there is the option to control for latent group differences or not when someone examines DIF. So what is the rationale for controlling for latent group differences or not, and what is the effect on DIF results and item parameters?

Nikos Tsigilis

May 27, 2017, 1:47:52 PM5/27/17
to mirt-package, ntsi...@city.academic.gr
Dear Phil,

Thank you so much for your response.  I have two additional questions.  In applied research we often don't know in advance which items to use as anchor items. So I am wondering which is the proper way to locate anchor items using mirt? I am thinking of the following approach

mod<-multipleGroup(dat, 2, group, invariance=c("free_means", "free_var))
dif.results<-DIF(mod, c("a1", "d")),

Am I right?

In addition in the mirt manual for DIF (page 24) you don't estimate the mean-variance of the focal group.

model <- multipleGroup(dat, 1, group, SE = TRUE)

#test whether adding slopes and intercepts constraints results in DIF. Plot items showing DIF
resulta1d <- DIF(model, c('a1', 'd'), plotdif = TRUE)
resulta1d

Is there a reason for doing so?

Thanks a lot

Nikos

Phil

Phil Chalmers

May 27, 2017, 10:19:56 PM5/27/17
On Sat, May 27, 2017 at 1:47 PM, 'Nikos Tsigilis' via mirt-package <mirt-p...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Dear Phil,

Thank you so much for your response.  I have two additional questions.  In applied research we often don't know in advance which items to use as anchor items. So I am wondering which is the proper way to locate anchor items using mirt? I am thinking of the following approach

mod<-multipleGroup(dat, 2, group, invariance=c("free_means", "free_var))

This isn't identified, so you can't start from here.

dif.results<-DIF(mod, c("a1", "d")),

DIF() does not support multidimensional models either, so this won't work.

Am I right?

In addition in the mirt manual for DIF (page 24) you don't estimate the mean-variance of the focal group.

model <- multipleGroup(dat, 1, group, SE = TRUE)

#test whether adding slopes and intercepts constraints results in DIF. Plot items showing DIF
resulta1d <- DIF(model, c('a1', 'd'), plotdif = TRUE)
resulta1d

Is there a reason for doing so?

Mainly didactic (I've added more commends to this model in the dev version for clarification).

The model setup is not really doing DIF, but rather a hybrid of response bias + latent-group differences at once. In order to do DIF this way anchor items would be required first. If you aren't sure which items should be anchors then it might be best to start with all parameters as anchors, and then gradually reduce this highly constrained model by testing for DIF for each item. This is a top-down type strategy, and should work well if there is no systematic trends in DIF (e.g., if the majority of items are systematically easier in one group then this strategy could be problematic, but if there is a mix then the bias is often temporarily tolerable). HTH.

Phil

Thanks a lot

Nikos

On Friday, May 26, 2017 at 5:42:52 PM UTC+3, Phil Chalmers wrote:
[...]

Nikos Tsigilis

May 28, 2017, 3:18:58 PM5/28/17
to mirt-package
Dear Phil,

Thank you for your response.  You are very clear and helpful.

Nikos