Convergence criterion

Patrick Meyer

Jun 8, 2014, 12:26:12 PM6/8/14
to mirt-p...@googlegroups.com
I have two questions about the convergence criteiron in mirt. First, I am setting the convergence criterion to 0.001 using the call mod1<-mirt(data=dmirt, model=model, itemtype='3PL', TOL=0.001). Is this the correct call?

Second, what exactly is the convergence criterion? Is it the change in likelihood or the maximum change in logits at each iteration or the maximum relative change in logits?

Thanks,
Patrick

Phil Chalmers

Jun 8, 2014, 12:31:10 PM6/8/14
to Patrick Meyer, mirt-package
Hi Patrick,

On Sun, Jun 8, 2014 at 12:26 PM, Patrick Meyer <meye...@gmail.com> wrote:
I have two questions about the convergence criteiron in mirt. First, I am setting the convergence criterion to 0.001 using the call mod1<-mirt(data=dmirt, model=model, itemtype='3PL', TOL=0.001). Is this the correct call?

Yes that appears fine.

Second, what exactly is the convergence criterion? Is it the change in likelihood or the maximum change in logits at each iteration or the maximum relative change in logits?

It is the maximum difference in all parameters after completing a full EM cycle. If the previous cycle had a vector of parameters

last <- c(1,0,1,0)

and the next iteration had the values

next <- c(1.1, 0, 1.2, 0.1)

then the change would be max(abs(last - next)) == 0.2. The EM cycles stop when this value becomes less than TOL. Cheers.

Phil

Thanks,
Patrick

Patrick Meyer

Jun 8, 2014, 12:32:57 PM6/8/14
to mirt-p...@googlegroups.com, meye...@gmail.com
That's what I thought, but I appreciate the clarification. Thanks!