Tense Mahjong

Chris Schumann

Feb 14, 2013, 10:52:50 PM2/14/13
to minnesota-m...@googlegroups.com
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pu-VVxUY3JU

This short video is a clip from a mahjong movie. They have those? They do in Japan! Since I can't read Japanese, I can't tell you the title of this one.

Tense music, good lighting, sleight of hand, the feeling of high stakes...

I miss this game!

Chris

Naoto Suzuki

Feb 15, 2013, 1:21:30 AM2/15/13
to minnesota-m...@googlegroups.com
The clip is from a movie based on the actual existing Marhjong professional guy, thought I think story itself is a fiction.   In the scene, he was against the underground Mahjong player, who use illegal moves (you can see in this clip) to win.  This is a movie and those illegal moves are easy to identify.  In the real world, people say those illegal moves exist and bad (good) players use those moves without other players noticing it.  (Well, you know that Marjong is a big "gamble" in Japan and there are a lot of mafia related situations, and that makes a lot of great Marjong movies there.)

-naoto

Chris

Chris Schumann

Feb 15, 2013, 10:14:45 AM2/15/13
to minnesota-m...@googlegroups.com
These scenes always seem like a duel, yet always have four players. Are the other players something like seconds in a duel? Do they attempt to win, play neutrally, or to attempt to feed tiles to their cohort? Are the stakes as high for them?