Minix 3.2.1 Release

Thomas Veerman

Feb 21, 2013, 3:26:54 PM2/21/13
to min...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

We are pleased to present the MINIX 3.2.1 stable release. The major
features of this release include:
- Support for dynamically linked executables
- Removal of Intel segments (and use page tables exclusively)
- Faster system calls by using SYSENTER/SYSCALL
- Revamped build system and now allows MINIX 3 to be cross compiled
- Imported and upgraded many userland utilities and libraries from NetBSD
- DDEKIT support
- Dropped support for a.out binaries
- More support for E1000 and RTL8169 variants
- Support for AHCI
- Many bugfixes

The full release notes can be found at
http://www.minix3.org/releasenotes-321.html.

To find out more about this and older releases, please see
http://wiki.minix3.org/en/MinixReleases. You can grab the ISO image
directly from the download page or through a torrent at
http://www.minix3.org/download.

--
Thomas

r0ller

Feb 21, 2013, 3:33:24 PM2/21/13
to min...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

That's just grand! Thanks guys again:) I'll give it a shot asap.

r0ller

r0ller

Feb 25, 2013, 8:29:49 AM2/25/13
to min...@googlegroups.com
Hi Thomas,

I gave it a shot and it's really nice. I've got one question though concerning the 'support for dynamically linked executables' feature: does it mean that we don't have to set the MINIXDYNAMIC flag to yes anymore when installing something from pkgsrc and want to have shared libs?

Thanks&regards,
r0ller

Evgeniy Ivanov

Feb 25, 2013, 3:36:16 PM2/25/13
to min...@googlegroups.com
Hi folks,

Superb list of features! Lot of cool work done!

On Fri, Feb 22, 2013 at 12:26 AM, Thomas Veerman <tvee...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> We are pleased to present the MINIX 3.2.1 stable release. The major features
> of this release include:
> - Support for dynamically linked executables
> - Removal of Intel segments (and use page tables exclusively)

> - Faster system calls by using SYSENTER/SYSCALL

Could someone provide some numbers, please?

> - Revamped build system and now allows MINIX 3 to be cross compiled
> - Imported and upgraded many userland utilities and libraries from NetBSD
> - DDEKIT support
> - Dropped support for a.out binaries
> - More support for E1000 and RTL8169 variants
> - Support for AHCI
> - Many bugfixes
>
> The full release notes can be found at
> http://www.minix3.org/releasenotes-321.html.
>
> To find out more about this and older releases, please see
> http://wiki.minix3.org/en/MinixReleases. You can grab the ISO image
> directly from the download page or through a torrent at
> http://www.minix3.org/download.
>
> --
> Thomas
>
> --

Cheers,
Evgeniy

Ben Gras

Feb 28, 2013, 3:12:59 PM2/28/13
to min...@googlegroups.com, i...@eivanov.com
I remember 'make servers' was about 5% faster on intel (sysenter). the effect was bigger on vmware if the TSC-based timing within vmware is to be trusted.

You can try to time it yourself by turning libc_ipc=1 on/off (kernel boot messages about the selected/forced IPC style will tell you whether it had the desired effect) and using the worldstone script.

Evgeniy Ivanov

Mar 1, 2013, 2:39:50 AM3/1/13
to min...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for the info, Ben! 5% is pretty good improvement.