Portage on Minix?

Wilfred van Rooijen

Aug 18, 2017, 6:21:33 AM8/18/17
to minix3
As described in a different thread, I have been a satisfied user of Gentoo Linux for 15+ years, and I am really charmed (deformed ? Miss-educated?) of the idea of installing software from source. Sure, it is more work than most other distributions, 2 or 3 times per year there is some major problem but overall, it's been interesting.

I guess that if one can make "linux kernel + portage = gentoo" then one could also contemplate "minix kernel + portage"; the portage system would take care of downloading and configuring, then compile the source. In this way, one could perhaps make a very modern computer environment based on Minix?

Jean-Baptiste Boric

Aug 18, 2017, 8:22:17 AM8/18/17
to minix3

I guess that if one can make "linux kernel + portage = gentoo" then one could also contemplate "minix kernel + portage"; the portage system would take care of downloading and configuring, then compile the source. In this way, one could perhaps make a very modern computer environment based on Minix?

That's basically how pkgsrc works.

The wiki page describing the process seems a bit stale, so here's my own procedure (from memory, hopefully I got it right) :
  1. Cross-compile MINIX 3 from source and install it ;
  2. Install both git and mozilla-rootcerts-openssl packages using pkg_add (with PKG_PATH=http://minix3.org/pkgsrc/packages/3.4.0/i386/All) ;
  3. Clone the MINIX 3 pkgsrc repository (https://github.com/Stichting-MINIX-Research-Foundation/pkgsrc-ng) into /usr/pkgsrc ;
  4. cd into bootstrap and run ./bootstrap ;
  5. Copy the file minix/minix.mk.conf to the path given to you (should be something like /usr/pkg/etc/mk.conf) ;
  6. You can now build packages with bmake.