gcc unavailable on 3.3.0?

r0ller

Sep 19, 2014, 6:57:20 PM9/19/14
to min...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,

I tried to get gcc working via pkgsrc but without any success. First, it turned out that we have gcc-2.95 in pkgsrc which is not at all comparable to clang-3.4:) I tried to get it compiled but it just fails with: Configuration i386-elf32-minix not supported. It's too late for me now to look into it. Any idea what goes wrong? Previously (m3.2.1) we had gcc-4.3 as far as I can remember... I'll check it out later.

Regards,
r0ller

Ben Gras

Sep 20, 2014, 5:08:28 AM9/20/14
to min...@googlegroups.com
We like clang more now :-).

gcc isn't there as a dependency of it (gmp) doesn't build with clang.

r0ller

Sep 20, 2014, 3:13:46 PM9/20/14
to min...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ben,

Thanks for the answer. However, that's a pity as a library my project depends on does not build with clang either. At least on 3.3.0. I haven't tried compiling that with clang on 3.2.1 as I'm using gcc there (which works fine) but to be able to figure out the problem -i.e. why the lib does not compile with clang on 3.3.0- I guess I'll need to give clang a try on 3.2.1...

Regards,
r0ller

Adrian Nita

Apr 20, 2015, 6:26:05 AM4/20/15
to min...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

So gcc is not available anymore in pkgin? Also, any tips about installing php in 3.3.0?

Thanks,
Adrian

Lionel Sambuc

Apr 20, 2015, 6:35:34 AM4/20/15
to min...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

No, GCC is not available from the binary repository. If you really have
a hard requirement on GCC (a.k.a. clang is not suitable) you can:

1. build it from the base system (minix sources).

2. help fix the GMP package, which is afaik the only reason gcc is not
available.

Here is the current problem with it:

http://www.minix3.org/pkgsrc/logs/3.3.0/20140810-053139/gmp-5.1.3/build.log

Regards,

Lionel

Andrew Berezovskyi

Apr 21, 2015, 8:36:11 PM4/21/15
to min...@googlegroups.com
Hello Lionel,

I believe the problem doesn't exist any more with GMP 6.0. I was able to build it on my host machine with Clang 3.4. Not sure if GMP 6.0 it's suitable to build GCC 4.X though.

Best,
Andrew

Sambuc Lionel

May 1, 2015, 9:06:07 AM5/1/15
to min...@googlegroups.com
Hello Andrew,

I have rebased our PKGSRC branch on the latest quarterly from PKGSRC (2015Q1).

I have been able to compile GCC from there. This is still work in progress, but you can access the current work on my fork on GitHub:

https://github.com/sambuc/pkgsrc-ng/tree/2015Q1-tentative

This is by no means definitive work, and I reserve to myself the right to force push to that branch at anytime.

This is however a good preview of what will most likely be available for the next release.

I do not plan at this time to update the current (3.3.0) PKGSRC repository.

Regards,

Lionel
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to minix3+un...@googlegroups.com.

Tom Chandler

May 2, 2015, 7:13:05 PM5/2/15
to minix3
Sir,
I have installed the 3.3.0 11/19/2015 dev .  I ran git clone to clone your
2015Q1 pkgsrc.  Ok I think to this point.  When I cd to /usr/pkgsrc-ng/lang/gcc45 and run the command bmake install.  I get the following error.  I have googled, etc, but can not find a solutions.  Any advice or suggestion would be appreciated.

bmake: "/etc/mk.conf" line 4:  Please use bmake for pkgsrc instead of the base system make.

I did follow the instructions o the minix3 wiki for compiling out of pkgsrc.

Thank you
Tom c

Tom Chandler

May 3, 2015, 10:21:06 AM5/3/15
to minix3
Sir,
Please ignore previous message.  After much reading, etc, I figured out the problem.  Now I am currently compiling gcc45.

Thank You
Tom c

Tom Chandler

May 3, 2015, 10:55:12 AM5/3/15
to minix3
Sir,
I am trying to compile gcc45 from pkgsrc-ng.  It is still calling gmp-5.1.3,and bomb out.  The new gmp-6.0.0, compiles with error.  How do I get the pkgsrc-ng build to use gmp-6.0.0

Thank You
Tom c

Sambuc Lionel

May 5, 2015, 2:35:33 PM5/5/15
to min...@googlegroups.com
Dear Mr. Chandler,

Good to hear from you again. Please excuse the delay.

I am a bit confused now as to your current status. I take it you have a system installed from the latest developper ISO, and it seems the pkgsrc tree checked out from the current 3.3.0 branch.

I believe so, as you are able to start building package, yet, the current versions of the packages are getting build, instead of the new ones.

Can you try to re-checkout my branch and then start again building gcc45 ?

I had nothing else to do on my system.

Regards,

Lionel

Tom Chandler

May 5, 2015, 3:22:04 PM5/5/15
to minix3
Thank you for the response.  Steps I have taken:
1. downloaded the lastest dev minix3  11/19.2014
2. performed pkgin up
3. installed the required packages required for pkgsrc build.
4. git clone your pkgsrc .
5. cd to gcc45
6. bmake install
7  Then the errors start.

I most likely have done something wrong.  Any guidance would be most
helpful.

Cheers
Tom c

Tom Chandler

May 5, 2015, 4:19:38 PM5/5/15
to minix3
Update to my message.  I used the 3.3.0 pkgsrc instead of the 3.3.1,
could this be the problem?

Thank You
Tom c

Sambuc Lionel

May 6, 2015, 1:14:02 AM5/6/15
to min...@googlegroups.com
Dear Mr. Chandler,

Indeed this is not the correct branch.

I have not yet integrated my changes into the official pkgsrc repository, as I am not done testing it.

To use it you have to do the following:
1. Add My GitHub repository as a remote repository
# cd /usr/pkgsrc
# git remote add sambuc git://github.com/sambuc/pkgsrc-ng
2. Retrieve it
# git fetch sambuc
3. Checkout my branch
# git checkout -b 2015Q1-tentative sambuc/2015Q1-tentative

Then you should be able to start building packages.

Regards,

Lionel

Tom Chandler

May 6, 2015, 10:48:12 AM5/6/15
to minix3
Sir,

It worked GREAT down to Step 3 git checkout.  I get error'd out with messages about unapplied patches.  It states Please move or rmeove them beofre you can switch branches.

Any suggestions?

Thank You
Tom c

Antoine LECA

May 6, 2015, 12:33:28 PM5/6/15
to min...@googlegroups.com
Le 06/05/2015 16:48, Tom Chandler a écrit :
> It worked GREAT down to Step 3 git checkout. I get error'd out with
> messages about unapplied patches. It states Please move or rmeove them
> beofre you can switch branches.
>
> Any suggestions?

git reset --hard

Tom Chandler

May 6, 2015, 1:10:06 PM5/6/15
to minix3
Thank you to all who responded.  I have learned a lot about this process.

A message when trying to compile gcc45 is:
/sbin/sysctl not found.

What am I missing in the system?

Cheers
Tom c

Antoine LECA

May 7, 2015, 4:38:04 AM5/7/15
to min...@googlegroups.com
On 2015-05-06 17:10Z, Tom Chandler wrote:
> Thank you to all who responded. I have learned a lot about this process.
>
> A message when trying to compile gcc45 is:
> /sbin/sysctl not found.
>
> What am I missing in the system?

sysctl(8) is the standard interface to system function on *BSD systems.
So my wild guess is that:
- the package is thinking it is running on NetBSD (unlike the more
correct MINIX3.3-is-like-NetBSD-but-not-exactly)
- based on the above, the package assumes sysctl(8) is available and
makes use of it, which causes the failure
- sysctl(8) has not been ported to MINIX (yet, or won't be, that I do
not know)

The two obvious solutions are:
a) porting sysctl(8) to MINIX 3.3, or at least the part of it which is
needed here (certainly a big job)
b) finding (within the source) where sysctl is invoked in the said
package, patching it to makes the correct thing on MINIX, rebuilding and
checking that it indeed works, and then either:
- propose it to be applied upstream (as "make it work under MINIX3.3)
- format it as a pkgsrc patch

This is the theory.
I realize the mere size of GCC will make it difficult.

Antoine