Unexpected freezes when using Xorg

Garry Ricketson

Dec 16, 2016, 4:45:26 PM12/16/16
to minix3
 Minix3.4 on a Virtual Box VM,
 Basicly works fine, except some problems, especially when using the xwindows, "TWM".
 It will "freeze", unexpectedly,...I lose all keyboard and mouse communication.
 So I can not even "shutdown" properly, nor swithch to another terminal with ctrl-alt f1 , ctrl-alt-del,
will not shut it down, only by powering of the machine and re-boot.
  Obviously if it has lost the keyboard and mouse,....no way to communicate with system.

The "lock up" occurs almost imediately if I connect online, using "links", and or other browser,...
but it also occurs if I am using the "nano" editor, however it takes longer for it to occur.
 I looked at all the logs I can find, but do not find anything  that shows any errors.
  So I also ran "postinstall tests", attached is the results, there are 2 fails, I do not know if they are
related, probably, but I do not know what to do to repair them.

 There also is this :
There was some other messages while doing the tests, I thought they would be in the "outputfile" but were not, if need be I can get screen shots of them.  Any additional info needed , please let me know and thank you.

minix-tests-output.txt

Jean-Baptiste Boric

Dec 17, 2016, 5:33:58 AM12/17/16
to minix3
Hi,

Last time I tried to use X11 for serious work in a QEMU virtual machine I too also ran into stability issues. I filed an issue at GitHub : https://github.com/Stichting-MINIX-Research-Foundation/minix/issues/163

I recommend SSH or the serial port console, if only to use them to kill the X environment when it misbehaves.

Garry Ricketson

Dec 17, 2016, 3:06:26 PM12/17/16
to minix3

Thanks for the reply,
 I looked at that at Github, I will keep watching to see if anything
new comes up on it. Also if I find anything to add,...
Thanks

Message has been deleted