Re: Minix3 contrib

Jacob Adams

Dec 11, 2016, 9:35:24 PM12/11/16
to Stefan Schroeder, min...@googlegroups.com
(CCing the list because I'm sure other people have/will have the same questions)

On Dec 10, 2016, at 4:20 PM, Stefan Schroeder <onde...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Jacob,

I found your email in your commits in the man-pages for the Minix3 project.
I would like to get my feet wet by contributing a few manpages myself.
Would you be willing to become my mentor and guide me through the
process? I know how to use git, have github account and can setup minix3
in VMs, although I don't have a real machine dedicated to it. The Wiki is
somewhat scarce on information and I need someone to fill in the blanks.

Find a tool that's not documented or whose documentation could be improved
Then just learn how it works and write the page. There are tons of examples in minix already.
Just submit it as a standard pull request.

Make sure to put your manpage in the same folder as the tool it documents and set the MAN variable in the Makefile (see the Makefiles for tools with man pages for examples)

Don't forget to add your new page to /distrib/sets/lists/minix-man/mi

That's about it. Now actually learning how the tool works is the hard part but I'll leave that up to you :)

This list has a few people that are very knowledgeable about minix and I'm sure they would be happy to answer any specific questions you have (I don't know much beyond what I've said here)

Good luck!

Jacob

Ondekoza

Dec 12, 2016, 6:09:36 AM12/12/16