Minimalistic minix version

Michał Poreda

Mar 3, 2015, 1:16:56 PM3/3/15
to min...@googlegroups.com
Hello, everyone. I'm new to minix. I have some experience in linux and c developing for linux. I wan't to learn something about minix, because it's seems to be very interesting. Is there any way, to download minimalistic version of minix("Small footprint (kernel is 600 kB; full OS is 25 MB"). I don't want all this stuff that i don't need.

David van Moolenbroek

Mar 20, 2015, 12:20:11 PM3/20/15
to min...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

On Tuesday, March 3, 2015 at 7:16:56 PM UTC+1, Michał Poreda wrote:
Hello, everyone. I'm new to minix. I have some experience in linux and c developing for linux. I wan't to learn something about minix, because it's seems to be very interesting. Is there any way, to download minimalistic version of minix("Small footprint (kernel is 600 kB; full OS is 25 MB"). I don't want all this stuff that i don't need.

There is no separate minimalistic version of MINIX3. Some of the RAM usage will depend on the amount of RAM available, that is, MINIX3 will use more RAM on systems that have more RAM. Minimizing MINIX3 in other respects may involve modifying rc scripts to not start nonessential services and/or recompiling the system with adjusted constants. I'm afraid there are no detailed instructions available on how to do any of this; we'd welcome any documentation efforts in this direction though.

Regards,
David