Just installed, and nothing seems to work properly.

Ethan McTague

Jan 5, 2017, 1:15:12 PM1/5/17
to minix3
Hello. I have just installed minix3 x86 on an older laptop. Everything seemed to go well during installation, but now that I've rebooted, I am experiencing a number of problems:
  • The passwd command seems to be missing, despite the Post-installation documentation instructing me to use it.
  • /etc/fstab is entirely empty.
  • Attempting to mount anything to /home results in unknown filesystem type 'minix'
  • The only device specified by ip link list is lo (my ethernet and wireless devices are missing)

I have a feeling something may have gone wrong during the installation. Should I just attempt to reinstall, or is this some sort of issue with my hardware?

Any help with my problem will be greatly appreciated!

David van Moolenbroek

Jan 5, 2017, 1:21:20 PM1/5/17
to minix3
Hello,

On Thursday, January 5, 2017 at 7:15:12 PM UTC+1, Ethan McTague wrote:
Attempting to mount anything to /home results in unknown filesystem type 'minix'
The only device specified by ip link list is lo

Whatever you installed (or booted into), it isn't MINIX 3.

Regards,
David

Ethan McTague

Jan 5, 2017, 1:27:18 PM1/5/17
to minix3
Hm, you're right.
It seems it booted up to my old Arch Linux system (except that the minix installer had overwritten
one of its partitions, so it dropped me into some other shell).
I suppose I'll have to boot from another disc and repartition the system now.

Thank you for your help!