test suite failure

halfm...@gmail.com

Jun 20, 2016, 12:09:19 PM6/20/16
to minix3
Hi
I am posting a lot these days, if a moderator thinks this is too much, please let me know and I will slow down a bit.

On a fresh install of 3.3 test I have failures in the test suite.

test 47 fails at subtest 0, it says invalid argument.

Probably what is more important is that test 48 fails and says "no network". I do have internet access and I am able to install new packages with pkgin and git clone is moving remote files before it also fails.

is qemu perhaps a bad emulator to try?

Thanks-Patrick

halfm...@gmail.com

Jun 20, 2016, 2:17:45 PM6/20/16
to minix3
sorry to anwser my own post again but I also want to mention that test 64 fails with :
anon_pagefault : out of memory

I am going to try and install on real hardware to rule out qemu

I will report back once that is done.

Jean-Baptiste Boric

Jun 21, 2016, 6:28:51 PM6/21/16
to minix3
test 47 fails at subtest 0, it says invalid argument.

Same here with an almost up-to-date current. Tests 43 and 47 fails.

Test 47 is about floating point numbers, test 43 is about file system path stuff. Either way, I don't know how or why they fail.

Probably what is more important is that test 48 fails and says "no network". I do have internet access and I am able to install new packages with pkgin and git clone is moving remote files before it also fails.

According to the source code, that message means some tests are skipped because the environment variable USENETWORK wasn't set to yes.

Note that the default virtual machine networking mode used by QEMU is limited as using RAW sockets on Unix usually requires root rights. For example, you can't ping the outside world.

is qemu perhaps a bad emulator to try?

Usually QEMU works just fine. Jenkins spins up some virtual machines with QEMU to build and test commits as part of continuous integration.

The test suite will output some error messages from kernel and other servers as part of testing the system. Test 64 consists of forking a ton of processes and then allocate as much memory through mmap as possible. It's designed to stress test VM, so it's normal to have anon_pagefault errors on the console on that particular test, as it is expected.

A while ago the NetBSD test suite was also imported, last time I heard about it 80% of its tests passed. You may also want to take a look at it.