Audio support in VirtualBox

Uli S

Dec 26, 2017, 9:43:09 AM12/26/17
to minix3
How to get audio support in Minix 3.4 in VirtualBox?
As far as I know there are three audio drivers in Minix
* Soundblaster 16 (Is outdated)
* Ensonique AudioPCI 1370
* Ensonique AudioPCI 1371 (Seems to be AC97-compatible)

I configured my VM audio setup as follows:
Audio driver of host: ALSA (Host system is Xubuntu)
Audio Controller ICH AC97.

How to setup the es1371 driver to work with the Emulated audio device in VirtualBox?
If you can help me to get audio working, I will write a Wiki page about this topic.

Uli S

Dec 26, 2017, 10:34:11 AM12/26/17
to minix3
Tried this:
1. cd /etc
2. MAKEDEV audio
3. minix-service up /service/es137{0,1} -dev /dev/audio
Shows me usage help of the minix-service util instead of running it.

Uli S

Dec 26, 2017, 11:10:05 AM12/26/17
to minix3
there was a copy and waste error in my last post.

I entered "/service/es1371" as service executable of course.

It seems to me like the arguments of the minix-service command were changed and the man page was not updated.

Sambuc Lionel

Dec 26, 2017, 1:06:47 PM12/26/17
to MINIX3 Google Group
Hello,

> Tried this:
> 1. cd /etc
> 2. MAKEDEV audio
> 3. minix-service up /service/es137{0,1} -dev /dev/audio
> # Shows me usage help of the minix-service util instead of running it.

You should have gone into /dev, not /etc, or you can adapt the last
command to be:
3. minix-service up /service/es137{0,1} -dev /etc/audio

Kind regards,

Lionel Sambuc

Uli S

Dec 26, 2017, 1:25:46 PM12/26/17
to minix3
Now there is this error when runnix minix-service

ES1371: Could not initalize hardware
Request 0x700 to RS failed: specified endpoint is not alive (error 215)