Minix 3 server and nginx, webserver

Garry Ricketson

Aug 24, 2017, 9:20:40 AM8/24/17
to minix3
Hello ever body,
 I mentioned in another topic , about setting up a server powered with Minix 3. It is now up and running.
 I installed nginx, and am wondering if any one else has any experience with this,  or suggestions.
 I am not sure about what I need to do after installing nginx, to set up and start a web server.
 On other OS's , I have done this with out much problem, I can see though with Minix 3, it is not going to be exactly the same,
SSH access is working fine.
 Maybe it would be better to use Apache ? ...
Thanks

Garry Ricketson

Aug 24, 2017, 12:02:54 PM8/24/17
to minix3
Just a update,
 Installed Apache , and it pretty much "just worked"
Not sure if it would be appropriate or acceptable to post a link to it here , ?
It is working though, but I need to do a lot of  configuring, etc.
guess for now that is about it
thanks

David van Moolenbroek

Aug 24, 2017, 12:30:41 PM8/24/17
to min...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

On Thu, Aug 24, 2017 at 6:02 PM, Garry Ricketson <garrison...@gmail.com> wrote:
 Installed Apache , and it pretty much "just worked"
Not sure if it would be appropriate or acceptable to post a link to it here , ?

Cool! Please feel free to share any relevant links at any time.

As for nginx: I just tried the pkgsrc package (nginx-1.11.1), to no avail. I had to change "worker_connections" from 1024 to 255 in /usr/pkg/etc/nginx/nginx.conf in order to get nginx to start at all. After that, it complains about fcntl(F_SETOWN) not being supported (in /usr/pkg/var/log/nginx/error.log) and is apparently not able to process incoming requests as a result (e.g. wget hangs). I am not sure how deep that problem goes, but at least it seems that nginx does not work without some changes somewhere. In that sense it is great to hear that apache is working right now!

Regards,
David

David van Moolenbroek

Aug 24, 2017, 12:36:48 PM8/24/17
to minix3
Oh, I should probably add for the record that for an absolutely minimal web server, as of MINIX 3.4.0rc6 it is also possible to use bozohttpd, which is the http daemon that comes with the system by default. It can be enabled in /etc/inetd.conf and has its own manual page (man 8 httpd). Of course, in contrast to apache and nginx, bozohttpd is not intended for advanced usage, but it may still be sufficient for at least some use cases.

Regards,
David

Garry Ricketson

Aug 24, 2017, 2:25:28 PM8/24/17
to minix3
Thanks for the reply,
  To bad I did not know about the bozohttpd, I would have tried that first, in any event I could shut off the apache and try it.
Yes it is a minimal server / website, I am not sure how much time I will get to do anything with it.  I still have not setup a domain name,
am not sure what to name it to start with.
 The people (techs) at the server provider had a little trouble installing, but seem to have figured it out and did a good job.
 Anyway here it is : http://162.251.155.103/
No real content or anything at this point.