Drivers example

Juan Carlos Ferrel

Feb 18, 2015, 12:06:54 PM2/18/15
to min...@googlegroups.com
Hello,
I am trying to follow the example how to write drivers for MINIX in the wiki MINIX page but I think is outdated. I have the version 3.2 and I tried to compile the program and many functions there don't exist. Any suggestions how I learn to write drivers or how to fix that issue?

Thanks

Thomas Cort

Feb 18, 2015, 1:24:19 PM2/18/15
to min...@googlegroups.com
There should be a hello driver included with the source code ( in
/usr/src/drivers/hello on Minix 3.2.0 )

The best way I've found to learn about Minix drivers is to study the
source code of existing drivers.

Also keep in mind that version 3.2.0 is several years old. You may
want to work with a more recent version of Minix. The latest release
is 3.3.0.

Juan Carlos Ferrel

Feb 18, 2015, 2:15:46 PM2/18/15
to min...@googlegroups.com
Thanks a lot I found the folder. You mentioned the 3.30 version but I realized I cannot install X11. Is there a way to install?

r0ller

Feb 18, 2015, 4:50:55 PM2/18/15
to min...@googlegroups.com
Hi Juan,

If you install the latest dev. snapshot (dates as 2014-Nov-20) from the download page of minix3.org, you'll have a basic X11 after the install with twm. Then I installed jwm but it seems to be buggy so you may try another wm of your choice.

Regards,
r0ller

Juan Carlos Ferrel

Feb 18, 2015, 6:08:01 PM2/18/15