MFS

Fossil Codger

Jun 8, 2016, 5:37:33 PM6/8/16
to min...@googlegroups.com
Hi, excuse me for bad English... I am a Linux-user, since cca 15 years (or more...). I think I am very experienced because in the last years I use my own-created LFS system (Linux from scratch), evenmore no the "original" LFS, but I modified it very basically, highly! I am programmer in C/C++, I created even more new programming languages (interpreters) just for my own amazing...
Now I think, the Linux is a quite bloatware (systemd, Grub2, etc...). Maybe Minix would be better, especially, because I like the microkernel-idea. But, I want to build MY OWN Minix-system, like LFS. My question: Is available somewhere a good guide to "MFS" (Minix From Scratch)?
Because my plan: to build my Minix, in CHROOT environment, from under my recently used Linux operating system! In my laptop there isn't any CD ROM, and I don't feel very much like agonize with any workaround installing the Minix from USB, Qemu, etc. My internal main tune, would be much useful just compile it step-by-step, crosscompiling all necessary files, from under my 64 bits Linux system into a separate partition, in CHROOT. I very like working in chroot environment. Just I need something guide, like to LFS. Surely I will no receive success in the 1th trying, but this is no problem, I can learn from every bad break!
Thanks a lot!

Mr. Fossil

Jacob Adams

Jun 9, 2016, 8:42:13 AM6/9/16
to min...@googlegroups.com
On Jun 8, 2016, at 5:37 PM, Fossil Codger <fossil...@gmail.com>
 My question: Is available somewhere a good guide to "MFS" (Minix From Scratch)?

Unfortunately no. There's not much documentation on minix in general actually.

Because my plan: to build my Minix, in CHROOT environment, from under my recently used Linux operating system! In my laptop there isn't any CD ROM, and I don't feel very much like agonize with any workaround installing the Minix from USB, Qemu, etc.

Minix won't run in a Linux chroot unfortunately. They are two different operating systems. QEMU is probably your best option and Minix can build a QEMU image for you with the releasetools/x86_hdimage.sh script.

Murray Smith

Jun 10, 2016, 6:05:23 AM6/10/16
to min...@googlegroups.com

Antoine LECA

Jun 12, 2016, 1:11:22 PM6/12/16
to min...@googlegroups.com
08/06/2016 23:37, Fossil Codger wrote:
> Maybe Minix would be better, especially, because I like the
> microkernel-idea. But, I want to build MY OWN Minix-system, like LFS.

Today is your day of chance: in the MINIX world, building your own
system is the only way to build it. There are no alternative.

> Is available somewhere a good guide to "MFS" (Minix From Scratch)?

As in, a guide which describes each and every operation to build a new
MINIX system?
Well, since there is just one command to type (./build.sh, which has
several option), there is no much need to develop.

> Because my plan: to build my Minix, in CHROOT environment, from under my
> recently used Linux operating system!

Hmmm, this looks like Cross-Minix-From-Scratch to me.
Anyway, this is possible too, as indicated in another post.

> [...] I don't feel very much like agonize with any workaround [...]

Ah. Well.
Perhaps you should have a deeper look about what MINIX is, after all.
MINIX is a project. It is NOT a work-all-day operating system. Its use
is full of hacks, finding workarounds, and in general agonizing.

Just as with Linux you learned what it was for several years before
trying LFS, with MINIX you should first try it to learn what it is.

Antoine