Minix 3 on a Chromebook

josh...@yandex.com

Dec 2, 2017, 5:27:57 AM12/2/17
to minix3
Hello all, new here

I have actually found a way to run Minix 3 on a Chromebook. It's not a straightforward process, it's a little crazy, and requires going into developer mode, but it does work.
What I have done is used Crouton to install a bare Debian GNU/Linux (command line only), and installed only QEMU to boot Minix. However what I am doing is running QEMU headless (-nographic) since I'm not using a desktop, and I am SSHing into Minix from the same terminal. This sounds convoluted, but I have automated it. When I type sudo startcli in the ChromeOS terminal it auto boots Minix and automatically logs into Minix. Debian is being used kind of as a boot loader for the system. If anyone wants to see the scripts I've created to do this I will post them. It can be run full screen, networking works and the entire Minix image can for the most part take up all of the Debian system space.

josh...@yandex.com

Dec 5, 2017, 4:16:40 PM12/5/17
to minix3
I am currently writing up a how-to on this, I should have a PDF with full instructions fairly soon, I'll post back when it is done.

Garry Ricketson

Dec 8, 2017, 9:04:34 AM12/8/17
to minix3
That is interesting, we will look forward to seeing the details when it is done