How to enable serial out for minux running on qemu?

Ramachandra Pai

Mar 2, 2015, 4:08:05 PM3/2/15
to min...@googlegroups.com
All,

I am currently running Minix on Qemu and i am trying to get all the kernel logs on my terminal on the host machie. There is an wiki page(http://wiki.minix3.org/doku.php?id=developersguide:serialout ) which explains to do exactly that.  I followed all the steps mentioned here.

In one of the last steps it mentions to build  libraries palced in "/usr/src/sys":

When i do "make clean install" . I get the following error

install ===> arch/i386/stand/mbr
install ===> arch/i386/stand/mbr/mbr
    install  /usr/mdec/mbr
install: mbr: stat: No such file or directory
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make[5]: stopped in /usr/src/sys/arch/i386/stand/mbr/mbr
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make[4]: stopped in /usr/src/sys/arch/i386/stand/mbr
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make[3]: stopped in /usr/src/sys/arch/i386/stand
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make[2]: stopped in /usr/src/sys/arch/i386
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make[1]: stopped in /usr/src/sys/arch
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make: stopped in /usr/src/sys .

Can anyone please tell me what am i missing here?

Regards,
Ramachandra Pai

David van Moolenbroek

Mar 20, 2015, 12:15:47 PM3/20/15
to min...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

On Monday, March 2, 2015 at 10:08:05 PM UTC+1, Ramachandra Pai wrote:
I am currently running Minix on Qemu and i am trying to get all the kernel logs on my terminal on the host machie. There is an wiki page(http://wiki.minix3.org/doku.php?id=developersguide:serialout ) which explains to do exactly that.  I followed all the steps mentioned here.

In one of the last steps it mentions to build  libraries palced in "/usr/src/sys":
[..]

Can anyone please tell me what am i missing here?

The instructions were there to ensure that you have a sufficiently recent boot loader. As of MINIX 3.3.0 this is always the case. Moreover, the instructions themselves were outdated, as you found out the hard way. So, I've just removed that part of the instructions from the wiki page altogether.

Regards,
David