Good compiler for C

kziem...@gmail.com

Apr 25, 2017, 6:12:19 AM4/25/17
to minix3
I apologized that I posting this question here. When Mr Andrew Tanenbaum was a month ago in Cracow on Computer Science Student Festival, he said taught me two important thing. One, that there is a language gcc, which is GNU language derived from C. Second, that there is much better compiler of pure C, that mentioned before gcc, but I forget its name. My friend is in need of such thing, so can somebody give direction where to find it?

I again apologized form my interuption.

r0ller

Apr 25, 2017, 7:59:00 AM4/25/17
to minix3
Hi,

I guess you're looking for clang:)

Best regards,
r0ller

Jean-Baptiste Boric

Apr 25, 2017, 8:01:04 AM4/25/17
to minix3
Hi,

You are looking for clang, part of the LLVM project. Which compiler is better depends on who you ask. clang/LLVM has cleaner internals, but gcc is better at OpenMP for example.

For the gcc language: gcc has tons of non-standard C extensions and Linux makes heavy use of them. Linux's problem is that it's basically impossible to compile with any other C compiler besides gcc, whereas the BSDs and MINIX 3 are written in standard C and can use any decent C compiler. Linux's fate is tied with gcc's, at least for the time being.

There are also other C compilers around, like pcc for example.