"Make build" not working in minix 3.3.0

Mayowa Adewole

Apr 17, 2016, 10:59:01 AM4/17/16
to minix3
I am trying to re-build minix 3.3.0 following instructions in this link http://wiki.minix3.org/doku.php?id=developersguide:trackingcurrent . The OS hangs at the last part each time i do a build from cd /usr/src
And the OS ceases to go into Login mode after this process. I have had to remove and re-install minix in my virtualbox a few times with no success for build. I must be doing something wrong. Please help.
The reason why I am doing a make build is because I need to do a class project on CPU scheduling, doing a successful make build will give me a head start to build my future codes on process scheduling.

Mayowa Adewole

Apr 17, 2016, 12:48:34 PM4/17/16
to minix3
I get stuck on this screen each time, if i wait for hours, close the virtual box and try to restart/poweroff, reboot doesn't work at this stage either, i never get a chance to get into minix any more, the boot does not run till login, then the only solution would be reinstall os and repeat process again. I've had to do this almost 10 times already. Please help.
VirtualBox_MINIX3_18_04_2016_00_34_37.png

Mayowa Adewole

Apr 17, 2016, 5:25:28 PM4/17/16
to minix3
this is the login screen after i run a reboot
VirtualBox_MINIX3_18_04_2016_05_22_12.png

John Deal

Sep 1, 2016, 3:25:13 PM9/1/16
to minix3
I know this is way too late for Mayowa but I have ran into this and usually it is a networking issue.  Try setting your network to a host-only network and see if your system boots properly.

Chris Card

Oct 11, 2016, 9:28:43 AM10/11/16
to minix3
I have same issue when I want to re-build kernel, it cant compile it

David van Moolenbroek

Oct 18, 2016, 7:46:44 AM10/18/16
to minix3
General reply for this thread - I posted this in another one but this thread is now higher up in the ranking so I think it is worth repeating :)

You are doing nothing wrong per se; upgrading directly from MINIX 3.3.0 to the most recent MINIX3 source has simply become impossible. It is only possible by going through an undefined number of intermediate steps, which is more painful than it's worth. Instead, we advise anyone who wants to try the most recent MINIX3 source to start with the most recent release candidate: MINIX 3.4.0rc2, for which the ISO can be obtained from:

  http://download.minix3.org/iso/snapshot/

Starting from 3.4.0rc2, it is possible to upgrade to the most recent source in one go. My apologies for the inconvenience.

Regards,
David