MINIX Mascot

Jacob Adams

May 19, 2015, 4:03:19 PM5/19/15
to min...@googlegroups.com
It appears that the raccoon mascot of MINIX still has no official name.

There are lots of great options on the wiki page (http://wiki.minix3.org/doku.php?id=mascot)

Although there is a small MINIX community, I'm not sure we could successfully vote on it. We could vote via this list, but that could get chaotic and would be really hard to count if we have a lot of votes. There is also no way to regulate voting more than one.

Do the developers just want to pick a name? Do we want to try to vote on it?

Thomas Cort

May 19, 2015, 4:12:50 PM5/19/15
to min...@googlegroups.com
Yes, it would be nice to finally have a name for the mascot. It doesn't matter to me how it's chosen... developers pick, AST picks, some sort of voting, etc.

Murray Smith

May 20, 2015, 2:04:56 AM5/20/15
to min...@googlegroups.com
For my two cents worth, Rocket.

David van Moolenbroek

May 28, 2015, 9:49:51 AM5/28/15
to min...@googlegroups.com, muzzd...@gmail.com
Hey,

On Wednesday, May 20, 2015 at 8:04:56 AM UTC+2, Murray wrote:
For my two cents worth, Rocket.

That's a cool name for sure, but also an invitation for a lawsuit I'm afraid..

Regards,
David

Murray Smith

May 30, 2015, 8:36:43 PM5/30/15
to min...@googlegroups.com
Depends on how heavy handed Marvel would be in regard to the name, how much profit minix would make from using the name and if they feel that what the Minix raccoon does is the same as the Marvel raccoon.

Marvel may even see it as "fair use" of the name.

On a side note a french company Dior are trying to prevent a legitimate use of the "Dior" name here in New Zealand,  http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=11431328

Jean-Baptiste Boric

May 31, 2015, 4:21:05 AM5/31/15
to min...@googlegroups.com
A name for the lovely lil' raccoon?

Nowadays a pun with the BSD daemon could be appropriate, but I'm not too hot for "Meastie"...

Perhaps "City", since our raccoon could probably survive in a zombie apocalypse thanks to its reincarnation server?

"Ark", for "Amsterdam Raccoon Kit"?

More seriously, if this was 1996 I'd have suggested "Mux".

r0ller

Jun 1, 2015, 8:56:50 AM6/1/15
to min...@googlegroups.com
Mux still sounds good for me:)

Luke Bullard

Jun 3, 2015, 2:56:28 AM6/3/15
to min...@googlegroups.com
How about Muxly. The "ly" to make sure people don't think it's a mistype.

Brian Krent

Jun 3, 2015, 5:02:23 AM6/3/15
to min...@googlegroups.com
At the present moment, I'm partial to:
• Risen, the resurrecting raccoon.

(Although that might be a little morbid sounding.)

Other alliterations:
• Roamer Raccoon
• Runner Raccoon
• Racer Raccoon
• Rally Raccoon

--
Brian Krent

Brian Krent

Jun 3, 2015, 8:54:34 AM6/3/15
to min...@googlegroups.com
After a little more reflection, I've personally settled on "Rize Raccoon" — resurrecting resources for robust reliability! (Or something to that effect. Further word-smithing recommended for a playful tag line.)

Rationale:
1. It plays on the notion of rise -> risen -> resurrection for the Resurrection Service.
2. Alliteration with "raccoon" and other words relevant to the goals of Minix3.
3. "Rize" is a meant as a more unique spelling of "rise", more suitable as a proper noun.
4. Brevity — "Rize" is short, sweet, simple, and easy to remember.

--
Brian Krent

venomDev

Aug 3, 2015, 3:19:24 AM8/3/15
to minix3
I haven't played with Minix enough to get a feel for the spirit of the community just yet but just saying if Tux plays on the linux name then Rix would play on the minix name...

venomDev

Aug 3, 2015, 3:19:27 AM8/3/15
to minix3
I haven't played with Minix enough to get a feel for the spirit of the community just yet but just saying if Tux plays on the linux name then Rix would play on the minix name...

Jean-Baptiste Boric

Aug 3, 2015, 6:56:17 AM8/3/15
to minix3
I haven't played with Minix enough to get a feel for the spirit of the community just yet but just saying if Tux plays on the linux name then Rix would play on the minix name...

The racoon was named by Tanenbaum some time ago (https://groups.google.com/d/msg/minix3/SWCi8kLQFA8/bJxOWXLVFHEJ, http://wiki.minix3.org/doku.php?id=mascot), he/she/it was named Rocky Raccoon.

Lucas Weteling

Aug 23, 2015, 9:08:24 AM8/23/15
to minix3
Hij,

Handy, presents: easy to work with, nice to have, allways working, allways available (or handy Andy)
Skilly: skill, all skills present
Mix: a lot of possibilities
Max: no limits
Really: reliability is the standard, really
Rely: confidance

Regards,

Lucas

Oscar Gimenez Blasco

Aug 23, 2015, 9:21:01 AM8/23/15
to min...@googlegroups.com
Allen (For Allen key) is basically what I felt when you first install minix  XD