scroll bars in X11?

Will Senn

Oct 3, 2017, 12:26:36 AM10/3/17
to minix3
Hi,

I'm newly returned to minix3 and I've been able to get it running in virtual box without much issue. The version I'm using is Minix 3.4.0 rc 6. My question for this group is, are there supposed to be scroll bars on the xterms? With the default install, twm is the window manager and if I type ls -l /bin in an xterm, the list exceeds my 1024x768 resolutions biggest xterm window and I can't figure out how to make it scroll. I tried fvwm and windowmaker and that didn't help - so it must be something about xterm itself (I even ssh -Y'ed into minix and got the same results on my host). I It's annoying, how can I get scrolling capability in my xwindows?

Thanks,
Will

Lionel Sambuc

Oct 3, 2017, 3:46:50 AM10/3/17
to min...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

“xterm -sb” for scroll bars on the left hand side, ai think it is -rb for the right hand side.

If the terminal is already running, you can press ctrl+ right or middle click to get the xterm menu, anywhere in the xterm window.

To make the change permanent, you will need to add a .Xdefaults in your home directory which sets the xterm properties. That is standard X11, so I will refer you to the Xterm/Xorg documentations, as I do not have those at hand myself.

Kind regards,

Lionel
--
Sent from my phone

Will Senn

Oct 3, 2017, 1:19:31 PM10/3/17
to minix3
Lionel,

That worked beautifully. Up until I tried to figure out how to actually use the scrollbar - wasn't quite what I was expecting :). I'm off to reading the docs. I will add that the text in the xterm can be scrolled up and down without scrollbars using Shift-PageUp and Shift-PageDown (on a Macbook, Shift-Fn-Up and Shift-Fn-Down).

Thanks,
Will

Garry Ricketson

Oct 3, 2017, 8:42:01 PM10/3/17
to minix3

 I never use scroll bars myself, you can also use "more" or "less" and a pipe:
example:
ls -l /bin | less
#or
ls
-l /bin | more

 Then I use the arrow keys to move up or down the page.