Installation on Virtualbox doesnt find any hard disk ?

Christoph Renner

Aug 18, 2016, 4:25:54 AM8/18/16
to minix3
So I can not install Minix :( .
I tried it with Linux -> Virtualbox, and with Windows -> Virtualbox
with the default configuration.
I tried SATA Controller , IDE Controller , always the same result.
Disk not found, only the CD - Rom was found.

Are there any other people experiencing the same problem ?

Jean-Baptiste Boric

Aug 18, 2016, 5:13:18 AM8/18/16
to minix3

What version of MINIX ? What version of VirtualBox ? What is the exact setup of disk controllers and the disks themselves ?

Please be specific enough to allow reproduction by other people.

Christoph Renner

Aug 20, 2016, 10:59:31 AM8/20/16
to minix3
Downloaded the .iso File again, and now everything works out of the box.
Now I want to install X - server, but I dont know the correct package name.
Tried to find it with pkgin search ... , perhaps someone could give me a hint. Thx.

Jean-Baptiste Boric

Aug 20, 2016, 11:12:15 AM8/20/16
to minix3
Now I want to install X - server, but I dont know the correct package name.
Tried to find it with pkgin search ... , perhaps someone could give me a hint. Thx.

I suppose you're using a recent version of MINIX.

X11 isn't packaged through pkgsrc but rather it is built natively with the MINIX base system. Depending on the ISO you've downloaded it may have been installed on your system.

Try startx when logged in as root. If the command does something then Xorg has been installed.