MacBook Pro

Garry Ricketson

Apr 11, 2018, 6:39:48 PM4/11/18
to minix3
Has anyone ever tried Minix on a Mac Book pro, ?
Mostly just curious , thanks.
P.S. This is a older one :
2012 Macbook Pro - Intel i5 3210m - GPU Intel HD 4000 - 8GB RAM - 2x256GB SSD.
But am wondering if anyone has successfully installed Minix 3 - or 3.4 on one, ?

James T. Sprinkle

Apr 13, 2018, 11:00:23 AM4/13/18
to minix3
I have tried it on many platforms, but not a Mac/MacBook.  Possible problems I see are:

  Disk access, which you may be able to get around with emulating IDE if that option is available.
  Keyboard/mouse, which you may be able to get around with emulating PS2 if that option is available.  Laptops, in my experience, tend to be gamble on whether or not their integrated keyboard/mousepad will work.
  Network, depending on what adapter is available, you may or may not get network connectivity.  Network is a show stopper if you can't get it to work, in my opinion.
  UEFI boot, I don't think Minix supports this, but if you can still do an MBR boot process, that shouldn't be a problem.

First thing to try would be to pop a Minix CD into the drive and see if it boots into the setup program and sees the disks and network adapter.  Also, if you can type at the command line, that's a good sign.  Run the netconf program to verify it sees your network adapter.  Run the setup program to verify it identifies the disk(s) and break out of it prior to making any changes.

If everything looks good, and you have a good backup of any data from the drive(s) you want to keep, proceed with the install and let us know how it goes!

Jim

Garry Ricketson

Apr 14, 2018, 10:54:40 PM4/14/18
to minix3
Ok, thanks for the reply, I was thinking about buying one that I saw in a pawn shop, so I don't have  one yet, and just wondered if anyone had tried it,
thanks