NetBSD-sorta? Doc anywhere?

Kristofer Younger

May 13, 2015, 11:48:25 AM5/13/15
to min...@googlegroups.com

Has anyone written a blog post or paper or notes on what it means for Minix 3.3 to be "Sort of NetBSD but not really", characterizing the broad differences so that as we try to port software that compiles and runs cleanly on "NetBSD-actual" we have a view to the places where we're likely to get bitten?

just idly wondering, it's kinda cloudy here today and I am successfully avoiding doing the Swift/IOS stuff I should be doing...

Thomas Cort

May 13, 2015, 12:10:36 PM5/13/15
to min...@googlegroups.com
I don't know that there is a blog post or paper or notes that speak specifically to what it means for Minix 3.3 to be "Sort of NetBSD but not really". Here's a quick summary: Minix has NetBSD's libc and some other libraries, 100+ userland programs from NetBSD, NetBSD build.sh system, NetBSD packaging system (pkgsrc), NetBSD test suite, and probably some other things I'm forgetting.

I haven't been very active with Minix lately, so this list might be outdated. For porting software, the main sticking points are: networking (ipv4-only with limited support for setsockopt() -- maybe it'll improve with lwip), resource usage (I don't think getrusage has been implemented yet), no job control, no kernel threads, etc.